Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 02:44 PM

19 posts, read 211,911 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all of the wonderful advice, everyone! It is truly appreciated and gives me a lot to think about. The fact of the matter is that I know I am going to have to compromise. New York, is simply financially out of reach for me. Chicago is financially attainable, but given that I am off from work from Nov-Feb, the great things about that city would be heavily outweighed by the bitter cold. For quite a while now, I have been attempting to decide between Raleigh and Vegas for varying reasons, and all of you kind folks giving great info gives me more to think about as I try to come to a decision. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 03:56 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negasong View Post
Thanks for all of the wonderful advice, everyone! It is truly appreciated and gives me a lot to think about. The fact of the matter is that I know I am going to have to compromise. New York, is simply financially out of reach for me. Chicago is financially attainable, but given that I am off from work from Nov-Feb, the great things about that city would be heavily outweighed by the bitter cold. For quite a while now, I have been attempting to decide between Raleigh and Vegas for varying reasons, and all of you kind folks giving great info gives me more to think about as I try to come to a decision. Thanks again!
Well, no matter where you decide to move to, much good luck to you!

Old 04-25-2011, 06:20 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Some areas yes. But if you want to live in NYC pretty much in any borough, without a car, you can easily set yourself up to do so.

OMG this is correct!!! The supermarkets are generally terrible. Either that, or horrendously overpriced (or both.)

I do most of my package goods shopping and a lot of food shopping on LI
I was very disappointed in the LV supermarkets. My friend, an ex-New Yorker. took me to an Albertson's in Centennial Hills and was showing it off to me. This friend hadn't been to a supermarket in a NY suburb or borough in years. I saw the bakery section, the florist section and thought big deal. With the exception of Manhattan, many Brooklyn, Queens, western Long Island supermarkets were expanded and updated about 10 years ago and it is common to have bakery sections, fresh fish sold at the counter, salad bars, pharmarcies, even little eat-in areas and a Starbucks all within the supermarket. My local Waldbaums was much nicer than that Albertsons. As for prices, I found the LV markets were either a little cheaper on some things or about the same. No great bargains unless you are comparing it to Manhattan prices which are always higher. Of course, that Alberstons had slot machines which you will never find at Waldbaums!

Old 04-25-2011, 06:56 PM

412 posts, read 916,032 times
Not sure why your friend would choose that Albertsons of all supermarkets in Centennial Hills. Also that's a really quick judgement to base all of Las Vegas supermarkets on what you saw in one store.
I'm pretty sure that Albertsons is the ugliest supermarket in all of Centennial Hills.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:18 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
It's actually the worst in the north imo

Old 04-25-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I was very disappointed in the LV supermarkets. My friend, an ex-New Yorker. took me to an Albertson's in Centennial Hills and was showing it off to me. This friend hadn't been to a supermarket in a NY suburb or borough in years. I saw the bakery section, the florist section and thought big deal. With the exception of Manhattan, many Brooklyn, Queens, western Long Island supermarkets were expanded and updated about 10 years ago and it is common to have bakery sections, fresh fish sold at the counter, salad bars, pharmarcies, even little eat-in areas and a Starbucks all within the supermarket. My local Waldbaums was much nicer than that Albertsons. As for prices, I found the LV markets were either a little cheaper on some things or about the same. No great bargains unless you are comparing it to Manhattan prices which are always higher. Of course, that Alberstons had slot machines which you will never find at Waldbaums!
Well, I was to many western LI, Brooklyn and Queens supermarkets recently, and just so that you know, being this is a comparison, MY local supermarket has a salad bar, Starbucks, pharmacy, an eating area, a bank, a florist, a bakery, fresh fish counter with a fish monger behind the counter, a full service butcher, full service deli, small Kosher mart within the store and the slots...AND...............your own personal bagger who will also carry out your bags to your car!

Waldbaums stinks! Old decrepit, dirty supermarkets that have been around since the year of the flood, that's all you got back in New Yawk! The ones that are still in business, anyways, LOL

Get out in Las Vegas a little more next time you visit here and see the difference instead of making broad generalizations based on one small supermarket you visited. And please do remember, NOTHING you got in horrible New Yawk can compare to what we got here in Las Vegas. That's why so many of you moved here, lol.

Last edited by MomMom; 04-25-2011 at 08:01 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 08:52 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Agreed...LI's supermarkets are DIRTY. The parking lots are dirty. And the major roads suck. The beaches used to be the best thing...but not lately for prostitutes, I guess. I hated living on Long Island...probably even more than I would in Las Vegas. Leaving Long Island is 1988 was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Agreed...LI's supermarkets are DIRTY. The parking lots are dirty. And the major roads suck. The beaches used to be the best thing...but not lately for prostitutes, I guess. I hated living on Long Island...probably even more than I would in Las Vegas. Leaving Long Island is 1988 was one of the best decisions I ever made.
I agree with you about the wrong coast and the supermarkets back there, my sis from LI is always AMAZED at how big and swanky, clean and convenient our markets are, she never gets over the courtesy clerk bagging your groceries for you for free and taking them to the car either. Or the slots!

And the only difference I see in your comparison about living on LI and Las
Vegas is that although you might have lived on LI, and even though you say you'd never live here... you make believe you do and you breathe the air of Las Vegas from afar, right here on this Las Vegas forum, and that's why you frequent it so much, lol.

Last edited by MomMom; 04-25-2011 at 09:40 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 09:52 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times
LOL, I hate that Albertsons. In fact, I don't care for any of the Albertsons. I think they are overpriced, but I guess not if you are from NY. I have never been there. Would love to visit one day. (lots of places to see on my bucket list!) I like the Smiths better.

Here in MI, we have Meijer. I wish they had a couple of those in NV. Not that they are all that, but they have everything you need and decent prices. Great sales and DOUBLE COUPONS! I have to get on Smith's to get with that policy!

Old 04-25-2011, 11:38 PM

33 posts, read 90,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post

Area around Buffalo and Lake Mead in 89128. Lots of good walking and a half dozen reasonable restaurants as well as all normal services.
My fiance lives in the townhouse complex on the south west corner of this very intersection. The times I've visited him there, I found it to be very nice, loved how he's got all the amenities right on the other 3 corners of the intersection, right in walking distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas