Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 10:08 PM

3 posts, read 15,167 times
Hi everyone,

First off, I know this topic has been asked over and over. But I just wanted to reach out to everyone here for some specific advice about my move to Vegas because I haven't seen any of the previous "moving to vegas" threads that are similar to my situation.

A little bit about myself. I'm a full time poker player from NY and have managed to build my bankroll to 75k and feel that if I want to do this for the rest of my life I have to move to Vegas permanently and be able to play 30+ hours a week in live games without having to drive all over. I'm single and do not have any debt. I would like to rent for the first year and then maybe look to buy in 2013. I'm willing to pay ~1500 a month maybe a little more, but I figure with utilities, cable, food etc. Costs are going to push me well over 2k if I go too high.

I want to live on the strip. Perhaps the farthest I'll go is just south to a place like Loft 5. I've found a lot of helpful info already on various threads but wanted the opinions of everyone here since you are more oriented to the "living" aspects, as opposed to the poker. Especially about the various buildings that I plan on taking a look at.

The Martin - I know this was originally Panorama North, and it appears to not be as occupied as some of the other buildings around. Is that because they do not offer leases? The HOA fees seem lower than the other comparable buildings. Or are there problems I don't know about? This was my number 1 choice on the surface but I understand the reality that I will most likely not be able to get a loan based on the fact that I want to live in these high rises that are not stable and my occupation.

Panorama Towers 1 or 2 - Another forum seems to think that these are the pinnacle of high rise living along with the Martin. I'm not sure if that is because that there are a lot of poker players that live in these buildings or if they actually are better quality. Again, they look very nice, but that means nothing in the scheme of things. More expensive as far as renting goes as well. Is tower 1 or 2 the more desirable building?

Allure - Again, have read good things about this building. Some say that you get more space for the money and it's "nicer" than Panorama. Seems to be surrounded by nothing but empty lots and so that isn't too appealing to me. Cheaper than the others so I would be open to living there based on that and if the apartments are truly nicer and the I can find lower rents there.

Veer - Heard nice things about the interiors but access in and out of the place is a nightmare. That's a deal breaker for me as I'll be coming and going all the time so I ruled this one out.

Meridian - Seems to be the go-to place that everyone recommends based on cost factors. Again it seems nice. Some have complained it smelled like weed all the time. I guess, I wanted to shy away from this place just because of the mixed reviews on other forums and sources. It seems to depend on your neighbors. But any more info would be appreciated as this seems to be the most recommend for people on a budget under 2k.

Loft 5 - I only picked this one based solely on the design. I absolutely love it. Again, being away from the strip might not be the best for me, but I still want to look at this place. People have been saying that it's a ghost town but occupancy has picked up recently.

MGM Signature - This is the only City Center Condo/Hotel I'm considering. A lot of poker players have recommended this place for the short term. What about the long term? I have read on vrbo that if I rent from the owner instead of booking thru MGM, they do offer the hotel services such as cleaning, towels, coffee, etc. and the owner of the place uses a 3rd party which is not as good.

Thanks for all the useful info here guys. As a side note, Olecapt, I've read some of your opinions on a couple of these buildings and was wondering if you could give me any advice as well. Are you available to meet in Vegas? Sorry if I'm asking a lot, I'm just worried since this is the biggest decision of my life and I don't want to screw it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 09:06 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,537,916 times
go to Los Angeles... the weathers better, the cities are better, employment is better... and the games are better.

MOST of those of us here that play full time really choose to live away from all that chaos on the strip, and I think once you've been here for a while, you would to. Everything in vegas is pretty much with in 15-20 minutes drive time.

That being said, I have seen advertised pricing as low as high 1300mnth lease in city center.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:11 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
If it were me, I would add Turnberry to my list.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:20 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMoney513 View Post
Panorama Towers 1 or 2 - Another forum seems to think that these are the pinnacle of high rise living along with the Martin. I'm not sure if that is because that there are a lot of poker players that live in these buildings or if they actually are better quality.
Is that other forum 2+2? Because I know a lot of poker players there recommend Panorama Towers. That location would be very convenient for you if you plan to play mostly at Aria.

Quote:
MGM Signature - This is the only City Center Condo/Hotel I'm considering.
Signature, although very nice, is not part of City Center. It is located behind MGM. Actually, if you stay in Tower 3, you would actually be closer to PH than to MGM's poker room. I like Signature a lot; in fact, I almost bought there when I was house-hunting, but we ultimately decided on a house within a 10 minute driver of the Strip rather than a condo on or adjacent to the Strip.

Quote:
Thanks for all the useful info here guys. As a side note, Olecapt, I've read some of your opinions on a couple of these buildings and was wondering if you could give me any advice as well. Are you available to meet in Vegas? Sorry if I'm asking a lot, I'm just worried since this is the biggest decision of my life and I don't want to screw it up.
FYI, Olecapt is no longer a member of the forum, although he may contact you under a different SN.

GL in your search and your move.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:50 AM

687 posts, read 1,945,433 times
Just rent a room. Keep costs down as low as possible. See how it goes.

Good luck,
Croce

Old 01-02-2012, 11:23 AM

968 posts, read 2,062,738 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

First off, I know this topic has been asked over and over. But I just wanted to reach out to everyone here for some specific advice about my move to Vegas because I haven't seen any of the previous "moving to vegas" threads that are similar to my situation.

A little bit about myself. I'm a full time poker player from NY and have managed to build my bankroll to 75k and feel that if I want to do this for the rest of my life I have to move to Vegas permanently and be able to play 30+ hours a week in live games without having to drive all over. I'm single and do not have any debt. I would like to rent for the first year and then maybe look to buy in 2013. I'm willing to pay ~1500 a month maybe a little more, but I figure with utilities, cable, food etc. Costs are going to push me well over 2k if I go too high.

I want to live on the strip. Perhaps the farthest I'll go is just south to a place like Loft 5. I've found a lot of helpful info already on various threads but wanted the opinions of everyone here since you are more oriented to the "living" aspects, as opposed to the poker. Especially about the various buildings that I plan on taking a look at.

The Martin - I know this was originally Panorama North, and it appears to not be as occupied as some of the other buildings around. Is that because they do not offer leases? The HOA fees seem lower than the other comparable buildings. Or are there problems I don't know about? This was my number 1 choice on the surface but I understand the reality that I will most likely not be able to get a loan based on the fact that I want to live in these high rises that are not stable and my occupation.

Panorama Towers 1 or 2 - Another forum seems to think that these are the pinnacle of high rise living along with the Martin. I'm not sure if that is because that there are a lot of poker players that live in these buildings or if they actually are better quality. Again, they look very nice, but that means nothing in the scheme of things. More expensive as far as renting goes as well. Is tower 1 or 2 the more desirable building?

Allure - Again, have read good things about this building. Some say that you get more space for the money and it's "nicer" than Panorama. Seems to be surrounded by nothing but empty lots and so that isn't too appealing to me. Cheaper than the others so I would be open to living there based on that and if the apartments are truly nicer and the I can find lower rents there.

Veer - Heard nice things about the interiors but access in and out of the place is a nightmare. That's a deal breaker for me as I'll be coming and going all the time so I ruled this one out.

Meridian - Seems to be the go-to place that everyone recommends based on cost factors. Again it seems nice. Some have complained it smelled like weed all the time. I guess, I wanted to shy away from this place just because of the mixed reviews on other forums and sources. It seems to depend on your neighbors. But any more info would be appreciated as this seems to be the most recommend for people on a budget under 2k.

Loft 5 - I only picked this one based solely on the design. I absolutely love it. Again, being away from the strip might not be the best for me, but I still want to look at this place. People have been saying that it's a ghost town but occupancy has picked up recently.

MGM Signature - This is the only City Center Condo/Hotel I'm considering. A lot of poker players have recommended this place for the short term. What about the long term? I have read on vrbo that if I rent from the owner instead of booking thru MGM, they do offer the hotel services such as cleaning, towels, coffee, etc. and the owner of the place uses a 3rd party which is not as good.

I am familiar with many of the above and know that poker players reside at all of them. However, Panorama seems to have a poker "community." Martin's HOA fees are lower partially since it doesnt have the gate and security as Panorama. If you're looking for quiet, almost dead, then Martin is ideal. I dont know anything about Loft 5 since I only am interested only in Strip units. Meridian might be the most cost effective (cheapest) choice, nice little community, oasis-like, only a ten minute walk away from the strip. Renting makes sense initially to determine if this lifestyle is for you. However, strip condo prices have firmed, no new supply, and the foreclosure wave has cleared out much of the deadwood. Some of the complexes have pretty much been turned over with most of the purchases over the past few years cash only suggesting some stability.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:09 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,083,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
go to Los Angeles... the weathers better, the cities are better, employment is better... and the games are better.

MOST of those of us here that play full time really choose to live away from all that chaos on the strip, and I think once you've been here for a while, you would to. Everything in vegas is pretty much with in 15-20 minutes drive time.

That being said, I have seen advertised pricing as low as high 1300mnth lease in city center.
I know there are a lot of Summerlin fan boys here, but really unless you commute on off hours it's actually quite a PITA. It's not close. At 3:00 am + when you're tired as hell the drive blows. I spend a lot of time off charleston/pavillion and live off 215/ Decatur, it's 20 min w/out traffic and that's going over the speed limit once I hit the 215.

And LA really? LA is a $hithole. Yes they have "better" games of you're playing higher limits. Now if you were talking OC I'd agree with you, but OP'd end up in a crap area not close to anything but maybe Hawaiian Gardens with that budget/

Old 01-02-2012, 02:18 PM

351 posts, read 837,223 times
I was in your shoes 3 years ago. I lived at Sky for my first 2 years here & loved it; sometimes went weeks without using my car. I loved the freedom of walking or hopping onto the Deuce to get to a poker room.. But now that Panorama is connected to the strip it's a better fit for you-it's called "Poker Central" for good reason. Turnberry is further off the strip than it looks & I doubt you'd ever walk anywhere. Allure-nice place in bad neighborhood. Meridian-nice option with outdated interiors but doubt you'd walk to the strip as much. Veer-I don't know much about it but why worry about getting in & out of it when it's the only place that's right in the middle of everything?! Loft 5-forget about it for now.
If I were in your shoes I'd choose Veer or Panorama-good luck!!

Old 01-02-2012, 03:31 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,450 times
Well you had better play a higher game of poker out here because if you are good, you can make $75k in a day. But this place is full of broke "professional" gamblers of all kinds. But your best bet for a residence near the best poker action would probably be Panorama.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:49 PM

3 posts, read 15,167 times
Thanks for all the replies guys. I really appreciate it. Seems like Panorama might be the place to be. Does it matter which Tower in Panorama? Are there any differences between 1 and 2?

Any advice on the regular 5/10 or 10/20 games?

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas