Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 02:28 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity, does anyone use fake grass out here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 02:35 AM

848 posts, read 1,724,409 times
I waited too late to cut back the dead branches on the Lantanas that I planted in my yard last year. So far this year, some have died while others have grown back albeit slower compared to other Lantanas in the community that were trimmed at a much earlier time.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:41 AM

194 posts, read 398,204 times
Call bill at bc landscaping. Google it. Guy is a pro and reasonable. Always picks up the phone or emails back. Tell him Mr cole sent ya! Northwest based.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:40 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekwars2000 View Post
I have Fescue and some parts of my back yard are almost dead. I punched it with an aerator two weeks ago and have been watering everyday for the last two weeks to try to get it to come back. No real luck, so I guess this is next on the list.

It almost seems like it is compacted and thatched, but I'm not sure. I'm almost out of idea's. Any other thoughts besides this Daconil other than maybe lime?
I don't think you want to use lime (even if you could find it) in the west. In the east you use it because the soil is acidic. Here our soil is alkaline (which is what lime is). At least that's always been my understanding.

Call the master gardeners. They love to give advice. It's like talking to an old friend.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbridges View Post
Thanks everyone! We have fescue for the grass. It was only one area that the sod didn't take that is dead. We went by recommendations from the guy at lowe's on what to use to reseed that area, but I'm thinking we will just have the landscaper come back and redo that area. I emailed him about the plants as well and he said that lantana should start to green fairly soon and the yellow bell (I believe they are actually called Tecoma Stans) should in the next few weeks following. So hopefully something starts happening soon. I'm at least happy to hear others are still waiting on some plants to come out this spring. I think I was just worrying a little too much since it's new, and we haven't ever dealt with a climate like this.
Look at it this way. If you were back east you'd still be waiting for spring to arrive. Here we like to stretch it out and enjoy it longer.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblud View Post
Call bill at bc landscaping. Google it. Guy is a pro and reasonable. Always picks up the phone or emails back. Tell him Mr cole sent ya! Northwest based.
Does he do small jobs, and how reasonable?

Old 05-04-2011, 05:35 PM

12 posts, read 34,375 times
We have the landscaper that did our yard coming to look at everything tomorrow. I think he may adjust some of the sprinkler heads so the water hits that one area of grass better. He did recommend Ammonium Sulfate fertilizer for the plants though, just thought I would pass that along for everyone else.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:05 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
We have the landscaper that did our yard coming to look at everything tomorrow. I think he may adjust some of the sprinkler heads so the water hits that one area of grass better. He did recommend Ammonium Sulfate fertilizer for the plants though, just thought I would pass that along for everyone else.
I believe it is to late in the season for ammonium sulfate. February if I remember correctly for a fescue lawn.

I did mine and will take a picture tomorrow and you can see the outcome.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:24 PM

12 posts, read 34,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I believe it is to late in the season for ammonium sulfate. February if I remember correctly for a fescue lawn.

I did mine and will take a picture tomorrow and you can see the outcome.
I was just going to use it for the plants that haven't started to green yet. Is there a timeframe for that as well?

Old 05-04-2011, 09:21 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
I was just going to use it for the plants that haven't started to green yet. Is there a timeframe for that as well?
Ask your landscaper. It may be OK but just. I think the high nitrogen stuff and heat are bad news and it is about to get hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas