Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 11:16 AM

7 posts, read 36,892 times

Advertisements

I put my recycling out in the nice patriotic bins every two weeks and I have noticed that when I go out in the morning to work that 2/3 of the cans and bottles I put out are gone. The idea of a stranger rummaging around on my property and through my trash was a little concerning but it certainly beats breaking and entering.

I know the thieves are likely just carting the aluminum and plastic over to CA for the deposit money. So if it's getting recycled I guess I am fine with it. But it still bothers me on some level. Should I really care about this? Is it a crime?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 11:25 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,312,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gflame View Post
I put my recycling out in the nice patriotic bins every two weeks and I have noticed that when I go out in the morning to work that 2/3 of the cans and bottles I put out are gone. The idea of a stranger rummaging around on my property and through my trash was a little concerning but it certainly beats breaking and entering.

I know the thieves are likely just carting the aluminum and plastic over to CA for the deposit money. So if it's getting recycled I guess I am fine with it. But it still bothers me on some level. Should I really care about this? Is it a crime?
I think once it is on your curb it is fair game. I personally wouldn't care at all.

If someone needs cash badly enough to rummage cans and bottles to make a bit, then let them have it. It isn't like they are living the easy life off of their recycling proceeds.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:28 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,260,384 times
Happens in my neighborhood, too. People come around with black trash bags digging through all the recycle bins & trash cans. I'm not sure if it's a crime but I don't like it either.

edited to add http://www.ktnv.com/story/13512703/stealing-recycling-items-for-cash-a-growing-crime-in-las-vegas (broken link)

Old 05-05-2011, 11:44 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
We haven't had that problem(?) probably because it's a gated community and too small to yield much recycle. But who cares? You don't get credit for your recycles. I guess you could say that the money they make by selling the stuff comes from your garbáge fees though.

When the rules change it might make a difference. Soon we will be given two separate bins ...one for garbáge and one for recycles, and I'm sure they'll decide to take away another of our freedoms by requiring us to recycle. Might as well live in N e w Y o r k C i t y?!

We recycled for years, but when they started skipping our neighborhood, and we'd have to bring the recycles back in the garage until the next pick-up two weeks later, we quit.

Anyone else ever notice that the pick-up day is always windy, and the bins we have don't have lids? I got tired of chasing paper and cans all over the block.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
We haven't had that problem(?) probably because it's a gated community and too small to yield much recycle. But who cares? You don't get credit for your recycles. I guess you could say that the money they make by selling the stuff comes from your garbáge fees though.

When the rules change it might make a difference. Soon we will be given two separate bins ...one for garbáge and one for recycles, and I'm sure they'll decide to take away another of our freedoms by requiring us to recycle. Might as well live in N e w Y o r k C i t y?!

We recycled for years, but when they started skipping our neighborhood, and we'd have to bring the recycles back in the garage until the next pick-up two weeks later, we quit.

Anyone else ever notice that the pick-up day is always windy, and the bins we have don't have lids? I got tired of chasing paper and cans all over the block.
I accept that it's really not a problem. I guess I just instinctively don't like the idea of someone tip-toeing around in my driveway at 2am. And they typically leave a big mess with the leftovers strewn around. It's just a little unnerving.

I personally don't mind recycling and our minimal voluntary standards here are nothing compared to other states. I used to have to buy special bags for all metal, plastic, paper and cardboard for recycling or else they wouldn't take your trash. They could make it easier. And yes it is always windy on recycle day.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:13 PM

77 posts, read 252,971 times
You city usually makes money from the recyclable items you place on the curb and they pick up. Much of that money goes to reduce your garbage collection fees. So steal cans from you recycling could cause your taxes to rise. Though the cops won't do anything about it. Any the processing of that person going to jail will cost this city more...

Old 05-05-2011, 12:22 PM

990 posts, read 1,653,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gflame View Post

What time does the recycling get picked up?

Could you put it out in the morning instead of the night before?

That way at least you are not encouraging the midnight bandits near your house.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
What time does the recycling get picked up?

Could you put it out in the morning instead of the night before?

That way at least you are not encouraging the midnight bandits near your house.
Their pick up time varies. I have missed it if they come too early, hence the night before take out. But I like your suggestion and will likely go back to bringing it out in the AM.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:15 PM

7 posts, read 34,108 times
Im not in Vegas but will be moving there next month and happen to see ur post.

Here in NYC, ppl without jobs actually make a living out of digging recycle bins for bottles and cans. Every week when its pick up day, they'd go thru our bin in the driveway. Doesn't bother me as long as they don't make a mess. The following day, they'g go to the next community with recycle day. By Saturday, you'd see long lines outside stores with Recycle vending Machines. I even saw some of them with a van full of cans and bottles, they'd borrow a cart from the store and load them with up to 5 cart full...

Old 05-05-2011, 04:04 PM

11 posts, read 36,287 times
When I put out aluminum, it was a regular occurrence...there are people in pickup trucks who cruise the neighborhoods on recycle day grabbing cans. I didn't care until they starting taking my bins, too. Now I smash the cans and recycle them myself...not a lot of money, but I put it on the kids' to-do lists and they keep the cash.

And I, too, have considered quitting putting all recycle out. It's a real pain when they skip, because then you're storing it for up to a full month. No wonder recycle rates in the valley are around 20%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas