Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 07:07 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,642,213 times

Advertisements

Now that would be a PERFECT car for my,

I have a GREAT CAR, but in NY, i don't NEED a second car, except for this limited use need
so spending $$$ on a real car is a waste of money, and I might just as well rent a car and be
done with it.

maybe someone knows a place that rents cars out cheaper in town?

Jonathan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 10:10 AM

687 posts, read 1,946,032 times
Jonathan,

I'm pretty much in the exact same situation. We will be moving permanently in 1 - 2 years, but visit several times a year in the interim and rent cars. I crunched the numbers and concluded that it just isn't worth buying one. Not only do you have to factor in the insurance, registration and initial cost of buying the car. There will be repairs and general maintenance. Also, we have to fiqure the cost of getting a ride to our house from the airport and return. Hate to impose on friends, so figure another hundred or so for a taxi, unless you want to wait around for a couple of city buses.

You are right about the five hundy per rental on average. I usually reserve through thrifty well in advance of the rental. Then I check back once or twice a week right up to the rental date. Generally, if the price drops by $15 bucks or so for the rental, I rebook as it only takes a few minutes. Thrifty bluechip gives you a free day with every 14 days, so that helps a little.

It's too bad some of us with this same issue couldn't get together and buy some kind of shared vehicle. Probably run into too many legal and scheduling problems. Oh well, at least you can revel in the warm glow of knowing you are contributing greatly to the city tax base when you review your rental car receipt.

Good Luck,
Croce

Old 07-22-2011, 10:55 AM

719 posts, read 1,480,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
$1000 buys absolute GARBAGE here... $1000 buys plain old garbage in Ohio.... You need about $5k to play and even then you are buying high mileage.... Of course you can always get the 15yr old p.o.s for around 1500. but you'll be fixing it.
I think we just have different views on garbage.
I currently drive a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero. On Craigslist through a private owner it goes for about $1,500. My car runs fine. Doesn't break down, doesn't require a lot of maintenance. It is no luxury vehicle, but then again I have no car payments. I will gladly drive "garbage" to avoid car payments in these economic times.
My friend recently bought a used Honda off Craigslist for $1,200. I think it is a 1993. He had to put new brakes on it. Other than that it runs like a top.
And Tennessee private owner used car sales on Craigslist are usually higher than in Las Vegas for reasons I cannot figure out.
Yes, you can get a beater car for $1,000 to $1500 and it runs. I guess your idea of acceptability and mine are just different.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:55 AM

1,609 posts, read 2,017,173 times
I'll be in the same situation at some point. I have a car I want to store there, but with higher insurance, paying registration, smog checks etc. Like others have said, you just have to sit down and crunch the numbers and see which way comes out better.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:00 AM

719 posts, read 1,480,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Over 10k, you can steal one.... I bought a 2004 Vette today for 15k... Books out in the low 20s...

Ahhhh now here is the rub. You live on a different financial planet than I do. I think you got a great deal! But I do not have $15,000 to toss down on a car at the drop of a hat. We just disagree on acceptability. Both of our cars get us where we want to go. Presumably, they both have air conditioning, good tires, undamaged bodies and decent interiors. Your vehicles will obviously have more bells and whistles, but you also pay a LOT more than I do. Different strokes and different wallets and all that.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:12 AM

278 posts, read 791,749 times
8 more trips before you move at $500 per trip is 4k.

so, if you're going to be spending 4k just to have the car; i suppose the question is whether to spend that money upfront on buying a used car (or a 3-5 yr lease on a new car; which is a bit more complicated since you'd then be stuck with it for the term of the lease, and be hit financially if you wanted to get rid of it early) versus repeated rentals.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:24 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,007,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
I think we just have different views on garbage.
I currently drive a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero. On Craigslist through a private owner it goes for about $1,500. My car runs fine. Doesn't break down, doesn't require a lot of maintenance. It is no luxury vehicle, but then again I have no car payments. I will gladly drive "garbage" to avoid car payments in these economic times.
My friend recently bought a used Honda off Craigslist for $1,200. I think it is a 1993. He had to put new brakes on it. Other than that it runs like a top.
And Tennessee private owner used car sales on Craigslist are usually higher than in Las Vegas for reasons I cannot figure out.
Yes, you can get a beater car for $1,000 to $1500 and it runs. I guess your idea of acceptability and mine are just different.
in Ohio, your Alero sells for less than a grand..... And they are notorious for problems... Headgaskets especially. In Vegas, your vehicle is 2000-2500. You don't know the values of Vegas. Cars from the east are ALOT cheaper.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
Ahhhh now here is the rub. You live on a different financial planet than I do. I think you got a great deal! But I do not have $15,000 to toss down on a car at the drop of a hat. We just disagree on acceptability. Both of our cars get us where we want to go. Presumably, they both have air conditioning, good tires, undamaged bodies and decent interiors. Your vehicles will obviously have more bells and whistles, but you also pay a LOT more than I do. Different strokes and different wallets and all that.
I've been in the business for more than 18yrs... I sell the cheaper units... For myself, I buy what I want and can steal. My worst deal here was a 2008 Pt Cruiser Convertible with 60k... Books at 8500. I paid 7500. If i can get 7000, i'd be happy.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_el View Post
8 more trips before you move at $500 per trip is 4k.

so, if you're going to be spending 4k just to have the car; i suppose the question is whether to spend that money upfront on buying a used car (or a 3-5 yr lease on a new car; which is a bit more complicated since you'd then be stuck with it for the term of the lease, and be hit financially if you wanted to get rid of it early) versus repeated rentals.
problem also is registration, insurance, and maintenance. Not to mention the cost of getting from the airport to the car and back

Old 07-22-2011, 11:43 AM

322 posts, read 565,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
more like $20 a day, then almost $200 in taxes and fees
so no matter how we slice it, its back to $500 per rental..

I figure spending $2000-3000 for a car is in line.

Jonathan
$20/day seems high for the base price unless you are renting larger and/or higher end cars. I'm in LV up to 6-8 times/yr, usually 10-14 days per time, and have always rented. My base price is usually more like $12-14/day, which translates to a little over $20/day after taxes & fess are added, but granted I always book small cars. Two weeks usually runs me around $300-325 total with taxes & fees included. Perhaps you need a bigger vehicle than I do if you have more passengers or cargo (my use is just me and carry-on baggage). If not, $200 extra on the rental price plus the cost of the extra gas it will burn over a smaller one is lot to pay just for the sake of a bigger vehicle. I'm fairly tall and still have plenty of room in the smaller cars with the seat all the way back, but yes I would pity anyone having to sit behind me.

There are several things you can do to help hold costs down.
1. Shop companies. I've found that sometimes the cheapest one I used last time is later among the higher priced ones.

2. Book early, and watch the rates of all companies after booking. If they drop, cancel the first booking and rebook. Some of the travel sites can watch prices for you and email you alerts of changes.

3. Don't allow them to add on the rip off extras they always try to add.

4. Sign up for the free "frequent flyer" type accounts that most of the rental companies have. Usually the rates are a little cheaper if you have one and they'll email you discount codes from time to time.

5. Search the web for discount codes before booking.

6. Consider using sites that allow bidding like Priceline. Hotwire has some similar booking options where you get cheaper rates but they don't divulge the company until after you book.

7. Not guaranteed to work everywhere, but I know a lot of people that book a small car, then slip the attendant a Jackson for an upgrade when picking up the car. The attendant simply treats the paperwork as if they were out of the smaller car you requested, entitling you to next category up (I actually avoid this, as I prefer the the gas economy and better maneuverability of a smaller car when by myself and only using the car for short local driving).
You could probably save a few bucks by buying and then reselling a car, but probably not enough to be worth the time/hassle to shop for it, get it insured, tagged, and market it for sale when done. This has been the conclusion I've come to up to this point in time.

I'll likely buy a car for LV within the next few months or year though as I intend to start spending more time in LV than in the past and also have my wife accompanying me much of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: