Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 08:02 PM

719 posts, read 1,479,877 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, soon to be neighbors. (sheepish grin)

I have faithfully followed every post here for months because I figure the best advice is going to come from those already living the life, dancing the dance etc etc.

After reading everyone's descriptions of extended stays that was crossed off my list.....

After hearing about the many rentals that turn out to be in foreclosure, AFTER you turn over several thousand to the "owner"...

After reading about the trouble I may have getting into an immediate rental due to the recession destroying my credit...

I decided to rent a room from someone on a month to month basis, and take my time getting to know Las Vegas/Henderson and finding a rental that makes me happy.

With that in mind I have been room hunting.

Obviously, in my mid-fifties I am not interested in renting a room in a house with seven bedrooms, pool tables, and six roommates in their 20's LOL

I have been on my own for WAY to long to want to step back into a party house situation. So I am looking for a room for rent, in a home with one or two roommates, also middle-aged.

I found this one place on Craigslist and called and talked with her. She seems very nice.

She is in her mid-fifties.

She bought the house six years ago following a divorce.

She is willing to provide proof that she is current on her mortgage and always has been.

She has a full time job in the medical supply business.

Her home is single story.

It is in a gated community. The home has a security system. the community has a pool, fitness room, walking trails, dog park, and clubhouse.

It is near Galleria Mall.

Here is the problem. It is near Russell and Boulder Hwy just outside and north of Henderson.

I seem to remember that Boulder Hwy and Russell is a BAD area. Am I mis-remembering that???

She said to get to the Strip, you leave the community area, turn onto Tropicana and follow it 10 miles.

Does anyone here know the neighborhood she lives in?

Would everybody here offer up an opinion as to the safety, convenience etc of that neighborhood?

Thanks Thanks Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 10:09 PM

848 posts, read 1,723,984 times
It is in a busy area and quite a distance from the Strip whether you take Boulder Highway/Trop or Sunset. I work on Boulder Highway and I get to see and meet residents on this part of town but I will reserve my opinion on them just to myself. Have a look around, drive around and visit the Wetlands Park and Ethel M's Cactus garden. You might like the area, convenient to shopping and not far from Sunset Station.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiker1o View Post
It is in a busy area and quite a distance from the Strip whether you take Boulder Highway/Trop or Sunset. I work on Boulder Highway and I get to see and meet residents on this part of town but I will reserve my opinion on them just to myself. Have a look around, drive around and visit the Wetlands Park and Ethel M's Cactus garden. You might like the area, convenient to shopping and not far from Sunset Station.

thank you for responding. How long would it take to drive to the strip from there? I guess my main concern is safety. I don't mind living in an older area, but I do mind if it is an unsafe area. Any thoughts?

Old 07-24-2011, 11:24 PM

383 posts, read 900,971 times
I go to church right by there. There are some nice areas there if she is just using Russell and Boulder Highway as the closest reference point. It seem to me on Boulder it is mostly commercial. If she is a tiny bit West of Boulder it should be fine.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by costaricageorge View Post
I go to church right by there. There are some nice areas there if she is just using Russell and Boulder Highway as the closest reference point. It seem to me on Boulder it is mostly commercial. If she is a tiny bit West of Boulder it should be fine.
Thank you CRG She is using Boulder Hwy and Russell as the closest reference point. She sent me photos of the home, it is very small, but decorated nicely and quite cozy looking. Is there a lot of shopping in the area? A library? Restaurants?

Old 07-25-2011, 12:44 AM

848 posts, read 1,723,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
thank you for responding. How long would it take to drive to the strip from there? I guess my main concern is safety. I don't mind living in an older area, but I do mind if it is an unsafe area. Any thoughts?
It is not so much the distance but the traffic lights that you will hit whenever you drive to the Strip using Sunset or Boulder Highway/Tropicana routes. You can also use 95 freeway North and then 15 South to get to the Strip. You will be able to hit Downtown as well this route.

It should be a decent area and you are near some shopping and dining establishments. I like the Cannery Resort on Boulder Highway and Sunset Station.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiker1o View Post
It is not so much the distance but the traffic lights that you will hit whenever you drive to the Strip using Sunset or Boulder Highway/Tropicana routes. You can also use 95 freeway North and then 15 South to get to the Strip. You will be able to hit Downtown as well this route.

It should be a decent area and you are near some shopping and dining establishments. I like the Cannery Resort on Boulder Highway and Sunset Station.

Thank you I feel better about it now. How long will it take to drive to the Strip?

Old 07-25-2011, 10:49 AM

Is there a bookstore in the area?

Old 07-25-2011, 11:18 AM

579 posts, read 1,209,937 times
Quote:
Is there a bookstore in the area?
Barnes and Noble at Warm Springs/Stephanie (near Sunset Station/Galleria Mall), Borders books near there too but not sure if they are closing or not?? Those are the big chains. There used to be a Book Nook bear Russell and Boulder, don't know if it's still there?

Old 07-25-2011, 11:59 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times
B&N is closing ALL stores
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas