Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 02:14 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I don't need more yard work to do in 110 degree weather, thanks. Mine is about 7K sf and that's big enough. Leaving the yard work behind is one of the pluses to relocating to Vegas. I'd had more than enough mowing, shoveling, weeding, fertilizing 1+ acres.
That's the way I think as well.

I also occassionally view houses that are east of the Mississippi River...and mostly when I see them, I just look at the excessive lawn mowing I'd have to do, to live in one of those houses.

Having grown up in houses with large yards, I can't really think of that much that people do in them most of the time. Sure, some family reunions take in place in the summer (which could be anyone's home, not particularly yours), and they are great for kids to play in (but so are parks)...but the mass majority of time, it's just people trying to constantly upkeep their yards, than truly utilizing them.

Actually, having young kids, is the only real advantage I can see to have large yards....but personally, I like the walled backyards of Vegas....seems more easier to watch the kids, than trying to keep them out of the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 02:19 AM

241 posts, read 492,332 times
Blame the small lots on big government. The Federal Govt owns something like 85% of the land in Nevada and was charging the developers an arm and a leg for small parcels.

Nevada, and the other Western States which all have high federal land ownership should work together to have all the federal land turned over to the States. This could easily be done with 15 states on board (2 senators each)

Here are a list of States with the highest federally owned land:

1. Nevada 84.5%
  2. Alaska 69.1%
  3. Utah 57.4%
  4. Oregon 53.1%
  5. Idaho 50.2%
  6. Arizona 48.1%
  7. California 45.3%
  8. Wyoming 42.3%
  9. New Mexico 41.8%
  10. Colorado 36.6%

Old 08-31-2011, 07:17 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
and we do NOT want to lose our #1 spot

Old 08-31-2011, 08:07 AM

232 posts, read 496,358 times
I dont think yard work would be a problem seeing how more grass would mean more water. I need we need a biologically engineered drought resistant grass made specifically for Vegas before we start putting grass in larger lots.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:09 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas1337 View Post
Blame the small lots on big government. The Federal Govt owns something like 85% of the land in Nevada and was charging the developers an arm and a leg for small parcels.

Nevada, and the other Western States which all have high federal land ownership should work together to have all the federal land turned over to the States. This could easily be done with 15 states on board (2 senators each)

Here are a list of States with the highest federally owned land:

1. Nevada 84.5%
  2. Alaska 69.1%
  3. Utah 57.4%
  4. Oregon 53.1%
  5. Idaho 50.2%
  6. Arizona 48.1%
  7. California 45.3%
  8. Wyoming 42.3%
  9. New Mexico 41.8%
  10. Colorado 36.6%
Not true. Until recent years the feds came pretty close to giving away federal land. You could still homestead in the Valley up to the 1960s. It is only in the last 25 years that the feds went to competitive auctions. They simply sold the land for the going rate.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:18 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,263,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Yeah. I hate small yards, and I hate how a lot of the newer neighborhoods have packed houses so close together.

There is an easy solution, though. You simply have to look at older developments (and horse neighborhoods, of course) where the lots are larger.

Agree.

I grew up in a house on the NE side of town with an acre of land. I would never buy a home in that area but I still want a house with a bigger lot than I have now. Not only is my yard too small but the walls are short & I have zero privacy. Enough room for a garden/fruit trees & to be able to have room for company when we bbq is what I want.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:57 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's the way I think as well.

I also occassionally view houses that are east of the Mississippi River...and mostly when I see them, I just look at the excessive lawn mowing I'd have to do, to live in one of those houses.

Having grown up in houses with large yards, I can't really think of that much that people do in them most of the time. Sure, some family reunions take in place in the summer (which could be anyone's home, not particularly yours), and they are great for kids to play in (but so are parks)...but the mass majority of time, it's just people trying to constantly upkeep their yards, than truly utilizing them.

Actually, having young kids, is the only real advantage I can see to have large yards....but personally, I like the walled backyards of Vegas....seems more easier to watch the kids, than trying to keep them out of the streets.
My experience says you are so right. My last house in MN was ON the Mississippi River and the yard was a lot of work for something that was basically unusable. Winter....well it's too cold to go out. In the summer, too many bugs and too humid.

I love the private back yards here. Much of the year, it's like outdoor living.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:03 PM

204 posts, read 319,017 times
My house in Oregon had a 9000 sq ft lot. With all of the RAIN, I was constantly doing yard work. I have a 2600 sq ft lot down here and I love it! My dogs have enough room to go outside. I don't have hundreds of dollars in yard tools and a shed to store them in. The weeds down here pull right out of the ground so I don't have to spray any poison on them. My neighbors are relatively quiet and pretty much keep to themselves (they are friendly, just busy).

Old 08-31-2011, 02:35 PM

241 posts, read 492,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Not true. Until recent years the feds came pretty close to giving away federal land. You could still homestead in the Valley up to the 1960s. It is only in the last 25 years that the feds went to competitive auctions. They simply sold the land for the going rate.
Obviously I'm not talking about the 1960s. As for 'competitive auctions', they made the parcels tiny and limited. Why aren't these "competitive auctions" going on now. I'd drop $1 for a few thousand acres in Northern Nevada.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:40 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas1337 View Post
Obviously I'm not talking about the 1960s. As for 'competitive auctions', they made the parcels tiny and limited. Why aren't these "competitive auctions" going on now. I'd drop $1 for a few thousand acres in Northern Nevada.
There is still some thousands of acres that will be sold. The parcels are limited to the areas around urban Las Vegas. Likely not soon though as there is little demand...

Remember back a little ways...

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...at/02jun04.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas