Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2011, 05:35 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,574,906 times

Advertisements

Just got back from there. I paid $8 for two people (Fox5 deal). Not too crowded. Beer $4, drinks $6 or 2 for $10. Food was ok, around $9 for anything with meat. Over half of the booths were for trinkets or smokeshop/headshop stuff or legal services or sheets or other oddball stuff. Half the rides looked deserted. Carny stuff was carny stuff. Would I do it again? Probably not.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 06:41 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
You went too early. The crowds increase at night, so do the prices

Old 09-18-2011, 12:22 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
I decided not to go. I'll save the $50 that would be spent on two tickets, two bad sausages on buns and two drinks. And instead save for airfare.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:35 AM

932 posts, read 2,347,463 times
We went tonight. The crowd was huge - the entire west parking lot of the Rio was full at 6 p.m. I thought the food was decent but overpriced; you can find comparable quality for less at several restaurants in town.

All in all, it was a somewhat disappointing experience. I doubt we'll return next year. If we do, it won't be at 6 p.m. on a Saturday.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:39 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owelles View Post
We went tonight. The crowd was huge - the entire west parking lot of the Rio was full at 6 p.m. I thought the food was decent but overpriced; you can find comparable quality for less at several restaurants in town.

All in all, it was a somewhat disappointing experience. I doubt we'll return next year. If we do, it won't be at 6 p.m. on a Saturday.
Thanks for the honest review.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:40 AM

21 posts, read 59,354 times
Default Had a GREAT time!

We went last night too. The parking was a nightmare but everything else was a lot fun. The people watching was fantastic. We saw some of the most unusual outfits. Some were stunning, others needed the fashion police brought in. My wife and I shared a very tasty philly beef sandwich $9
had a a 1/4 rack of great tasting ribs for only $5 plus we shared a simply gigantic(we couldn't finish it) Oreo pie slice for only $3.
About half the booths were useless(in my opinion) but my wife found a great dress at one booth for $35.

Here's what really made the night ... the music!
I have no idea how many Italian songs and tunes that have gone into my subconscious over the years but I must have heard every one of them Sat night. Fantastic singers from operatic quality to Lois Prima's daughter.
My wife and I were scrunched onto one chair but we didn't want to leave!
The Italian Lady next to me was filling me in on who was who. A man who looked about 90 came on stage with an accordion. He could barely lift it around his shoulders! The lady next to me said "He used to be the Ed Sullivan show all the time but I thought he was dead!" I am cringing, wondering what was going to happen next Coronary? Stroke?

No, Instead he blew the crowd away! what a fantastic display of showmanship. I could go on and on. Rat Pack songs, Angelina, Just a Gigolo, That's Amore .. what a great night.

Next year, regardless of the crowds, it will be Saturday night for me. The energy and vitality is not to be missed!
Attached Thumbnails
San Gennaro festival -- worth it?-2011-09-17_20-52-17_575.jpg  

Old 09-18-2011, 11:47 AM

thanks kj for the review... it is a good experience.. yes some of the food is overpriced.. you have to really look around... Bambino's had pasta for $5 including sausage which was a great deal...also the mango on a stick was interesting.... The reason for the higher prices (but they were the same last year) is the cost of the vendor booths (yes i am a vendor there).... simply put, the booths aren't cheap... our 10x10 was almost $1000. If you were just selling a product, you lost money... If you were selling a service (i do the tattoos and booked several parties since noone even comes close to what we charge) you do ok...

Old 09-18-2011, 11:07 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,944,570 times
Airics...you are just a jack of all trades! That's great! You do real tattoos or hennas?

I keep hearing about this festival and have not been there during it, yet. Can't wait to check it out. I love ethnic festivals. I don't understand why people complain about the prices, I have been to tons of festivals and they are ALL over priced, IMO. That is to be expected. They are not advertised as flea markets. The Renaissance festival here in MI and there in NV are the same. Over priced, but they are interesting, fun and something different to do besides sitting on your bootie in the same spot everyday! Well, it's just my opinion and I love to do different things and explore what is there. Loved the Ren fest, loved First Friday, loved the little bar on Fremont East that had open mike night-awesome singer there! I would do all of them again (I WILL go to that bar again and hopefully that singer is still singing there!) but I like to find new stuff to do too.

Thanks for the reviews!!!!

Old 09-19-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Airics...you are just a jack of all trades! That's great! You do real tattoos or hennas?

Thanks for the reviews!!!!
nope airbrush tats for kids parties. made out ok, just over $500 for the merch but that doesnt include the parties and 2 schools booked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas