Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 01:12 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,342,524 times

Advertisements

Guys, don't think the law is going to change things.

California has had the same law on the books for some time now and every time I go there for business, I pass someone who either talks on the phone or is texting.

With that said though, I am looking for the best bluetooth device that will drown out the road noise from my van. I'll either get it next month or when I get my new phone (Droid Bionic)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 01:22 PM

1,608 posts, read 2,015,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
I'll either get it next month or when I get my new phone (Droid Bionic)
Don't mean to hijack thread, as great as the Bionic is; you might want to wait and see about the Droid Prime . Suppose to be Samsung SII phone.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:55 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Another reason to not do this.
I bet you there is "an app for that". To hijack any phone records they might have for you.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:01 PM

787 posts, read 1,776,844 times
Texting while driving is indeed stupid. Anyone have any real data on these laws' effectiveness, though? Seems to me people will keep doing what they're doing, except that now their eyes will be darting around looking for cops while using their phone, thereby even further reducing attention-to-the-road.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:06 PM

135 posts, read 438,402 times
Personally I don't think anyone dumb enough to think it's safe to text and drive or self-centered enough not to care about other drivers and/or pedestrians should have their drivers license revoked immediately until they pass some sort of rigid psychiatric test.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:38 PM

579 posts, read 1,210,447 times
I am all for the ban, although I don't think it will work, I see people in Seattle every day texting and talking while driving (in spite of ban). I agree the phone records would be useful when trying to pin down the cause for an accident and whether the person was on the phone, however this is a slippery slope. I cannot tell you the amount of times I have "butt dialed" or someone has done this to me. Just a simple bump in my purse and it dials. Also, what if someone was in the middle of typing a text before they started driving, and was waiting for a red light or to park to finish it? I've seen people do this. People that would never text while driving might look guilty of it if they wreck and it shows they are in the middle of a text from earlier. Will they fine you for texting at a red light? I see a lot of this. What if a passenger is borrowing the phone to call someone. How could they prove it was you using it and not someone else? Best not to even touch that phone then while in the car.

And reference the car tint comment, we had really dark tint put on one of our trucks in 2003. We were finally pulled over for it in 2011 right before we left town. It was not a secondary charge caught while speeding or some other infraction. We were pulled over JUST for this, and ticketed ONLY for this.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:11 PM

131 posts, read 402,120 times
I think that they should also ban eating while driving and women putting on makeup while driving, since they are banning cell phones. IMHO, these are both much worse than using a cell phone.
Maybe next they can ban smoking while driving, since 99% of car smokers just throw their butts out the window. Then they can ban the super bright & annoying motorcycle police lights that are so bright at night that you cant even look at the road without being blinded.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:50 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baily23 View Post
I think that they should also ban eating while driving and women putting on makeup while driving, since they are banning cell phones. IMHO, these are both much worse than using a cell phone.
Maybe next they can ban smoking while driving, since 99% of car smokers just throw their butts out the window. Then they can ban the super bright & annoying motorcycle police lights that are so bright at night that you cant even look at the road without being blinded.
Maybe they can just ban cars...and everyone go back to horses.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baily23 View Post

And changing the radio station while driving. Isn't that actually a statistically important one?

Driving tests that actually take some skill and knowledge to pass might be part of a real solution. Any moron who's sure to take incorrect action in an adverse driving scenario can easily get a license currently.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Maybe they can just ban cars...and everyone go back to horses.
What are the emissions laws for horses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas