Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 07:44 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times

Advertisements

Tried to open the front door yesterday morning, and my key just spun around in the lock, not doing anything at all.

Good thing I have a "garage door keypad" or I would have to wait for my wife to come home and open the door with her opener.

So, do you think "failed lock" or something more sinister? Keep in mind, there is no obvious signs of tampering -- scratches on the lock, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 07:50 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,570,019 times
Busted lock.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:56 PM

699 posts, read 2,220,111 times
a figment of your imagination

Old 10-09-2011, 08:30 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,641,494 times
pictures would help

Jonathan

Old 10-09-2011, 08:57 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
Sounds like it just broke. If someone wanted in, the damage would have been more obvious.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:57 PM

782 posts, read 1,109,383 times
Ok. So there was this swarthy guy..obviously a broke, unemployed gambler looking for an easy hiest. Rambling down your street he noticed the hedge in front of your house.."Looks like it's pretty private..good for me, bad for them" he thought to himself. He rounded the corner of the hedge by the driveway and pretended to relieve hinself...indecency aint so bad..when you gotta go you gottta go..As he fumbled with his trousers he looked for moving curtains..biddies on the porch, wandering cats and dogs.. the cable guy? All clear.
He finished his pretend business and got down to the real business..he made his way to the porch and surveyed the portal to his future riches..He could tell these folks had money..A french planter on the porch, massive door with a full frontal stained glass window, the lawn was perfectly manicured, the hedge was just above eye level and ruler straight. He liked these folks, he liked their style. As he was examining the scene around him he knew he was in like Flynn...Everything he saw told him that all this work was done by professional contractors. Professional contractors with an eye for the bottom line.. Why would an owner accept a $5000.00 dollar door with a $25.00 dollar lock? He laughed at their gullibility...He slipped a silver lock pick out of his pocket and skillfully slipped it into the key slot. This was not just a tool it was THE tool. It could take a cheap lock and turn it into mush in minutes. further more it was made of tatanium..no scratches, and more importantly no damage to anything except the tumbler. As he was busy destroying the lock he saw out of the corner of his eye a slinking creature...at the same time the creature saw him..maybe it was his reaction..maybe it was the tension and anticipation in the air..it will never be known..As the stranger spun around directly facing the creature the tool flew out of his hand and into the nothingness of the air. The usually docile creature quickly turned and raised his tail sending a stream of the best defense weapon known to the animal kingdom directly into the strangers crotch. The swarthy stranger grabbed himself and slowly backed away. When he was sure he was out of range he turned and ran. He forgot about the stained glass and the $25.00 dollar lock. The creature wandered into hedge and then down the street.
Later that afternoon the homeowner pulled into the drive..he jumped out of his SUV clutching his briefcase and groping for his keys he sniffed the air..the house key slid easily into the lock but the key just turned in the tumbler...hmm he thought.. "What gives?" He grabbed his cell phone and punched the speed dial for "Jen".."Hey, Honey..the lock is broke on the front door how soon will you be home??" "Great!, I'll go pick up some Thai ok? Yeah, me too..I was thinking we need some hot tub time too. Whaddya say? Love you too Babe. Hey before I go just want to let you know I think the skunk is back so if I'm not here be careful K? Ok Bye Babe see you in a few" The homeowner slipped his phone in it's leather holster and mumbled something to himself about the lock as he climbed back into the Suv.
As he was pulling into the parking lot of the Thai resturant he noticed a swarthy looking man across the street..."Man, he looks like he's had a hard day...glad that type stay out of my neighborhood" he thought to himself. As he turned off the engine to the SUV all he could think about was his gorgeous wife and a date in the hot tub later that evening...

Old 10-09-2011, 10:12 PM

85 posts, read 189,279 times
Depends on the type of lock... there are some really cheap ones that have been put on properties out there... Especially on the REO properties. I've seen locksmiths bump certain ones in seconds... and others where it takes them some time. Cheap locks are cheap for a reason...

Your question is best answered by a reputable locksmith.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:57 PM

719 posts, read 1,480,570 times
The neighbors finally came looking for that beer you want to share with them.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:20 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,161,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Tried to open the front door yesterday morning, and my key just spun around in the lock, not doing anything at all.

Good thing I have a "garage door keypad" or I would have to wait for my wife to come home and open the door with her opener.

So, do you think "failed lock" or something more sinister? Keep in mind, there is no obvious signs of tampering -- scratches on the lock, etc.
Are break-ins typical in your neighborhood? What area do you live in?

Old 10-10-2011, 01:12 PM

40 posts, read 64,988 times
Chanygirl good one! My cousin owns a locksmith shop and they get a lot of housecalls replacing locks like this....nothing sinister about it. They break
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas