Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 09:23 PM

39 posts, read 105,385 times

Advertisements

How many here have water softener in there house? Is it worth it ?
Is water in Vegas really that bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 09:26 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,311,975 times
See this thread =>> //www.city-data.com/forum/las-vegas/1218703-water-softener-home.html

To answer your questions:
How many here have water softener in there house? ME
Is it worth it ? YES
Is water in Vegas really that bad? My city water tested at a hardness of 10, 171ppm. So yes it is officially hard water. Dunno what you mean by "bad"

Old 10-20-2011, 09:50 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laso View Post
How many here have water softener in there house? Is it worth it ?
Is water in Vegas really that bad?
No water softener.

I don't believe in salting perfectly-good fresh water.

The water in Las Vegas has radioactive and toxic materials in it. This is easily verified information.

I have a whole house reverse osmosis system to remove the radioactive and toxic materials. I've taken a ration of s*** about it on this forum. But my system works. There has been no damage to my plumbing, and I check. I think its a worthwhile system, but it's not cheap.

Several people disagree, though. Investigate and draw your own conclusions.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:50 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Yes, it is well worth it to have a water softener here. Yes, the water is very hard. The water softener will help quite a bit. The way a house is typically plumbed, all hot water throughout the house would be soft. All cold water would be soft also EXCEPT for the kitchen sink & water supply to the ice-maker in a refrigerator. Why? Well, a glass of softened water will have about the same amount of sodium as half a slice of bread, but it sure adds up. So, typically, drinking water from the kitchen sink is typically not softened. So... you put an RO under the kitchen sink which supplies drinking water to a separate spigot at the kitchen sink. In most homes, if there is plumbing for the ice maker in the fridge, it can also be fed by that under-kitchen-sink RO unit (there is a loop there).

For people who are quite sensitive to the sodium, you can switch from using sodium chloride water softener salt to potassium chloride water softener salt. It is available most everywhere but costs about 3x as much IIRC.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:59 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,827,655 times
I just bought a Sears water softner and RO unit. The water softner is great for taking baths and washing clothes. I mix RO water and bottled spring water 50/50 for drinking.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:47 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Have people stopped to consider what is happening to our water supply with water softeners?

We salt our water. We pump the brine into the sewage system. Not all of the salt is removed from the wastewater, and it goes back to Lake Mead. Slowly, Lake Mead is becoming more saline -- evaporation and massive salt additions do their work. So the Colorado south of Lake Mead is becoming more saline.

I don't think this is sustainable.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:43 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,311,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Have people stopped to consider what is happening to our water supply with water softeners?

We salt our water. We pump the brine into the sewage system. Not all of the salt is removed from the wastewater, and it goes back to Lake Mead. Slowly, Lake Mead is becoming more saline -- evaporation and massive salt additions do their work. So the Colorado south of Lake Mead is becoming more saline.

I don't think this is sustainable.
Some data for the sake of argument:

Other factors to consider:
  • Most commercial businesses do not soften their water.
  • In my experience the majority of homeowners do not soften their water (debatable).

If you accepted that 80% of the waste water is not softened, then the softened 20% at 75mg (max) sodium per liter would dilute down to (assuming 20mg for the rest of the waste water) 35 mg per liter. Keep in mind this would still be before the waste plant, but I couldn't find a solid number for how much sodium is removed in that process.

Assuming you accept the prior paragraph: 1.75% of the daily intake at Lake Mead could potentially have 35mg of sodium per liter, but this is prior to waste water processing, which may well completely negate this number back to the under 20mg range.

Anyway, I'm sure there are other factors. If anyone has some insight into the waste water process and sodium level of the water exiting the facility it definitively end this line of thinking. If the sodium intake at Mead became an issue, the waste plant would be the logical place to address it IMO.

Water quality is measured at 5 locations every 20 minutes by the LVWCC. They claim to have live data available, but it wouldn't pull up for me (click).

Last edited by Danknee; 10-22-2011 at 12:40 AM..

Old 10-22-2011, 01:59 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,254 times
Wow Dankee, nice info. +1

Old 10-22-2011, 10:35 AM

687 posts, read 1,944,174 times
I have a whole house water softener and an RO filter on the kitchen sink. All drinking water goes through the RO filter to remove the sodium ions that the water softener has added. It works well for us. Long ago I did not use a water softener and had to tackle hard water deposits on my shower that could only be removed by replacing the glass.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:28 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
At less than .30 cents a gallon at Walmart, I cannot justify buying a 2 thousand dollar RO unit.
Plus, IMHO, the RO water STILL taste like doggie pooh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas