Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 03:56 PM

422 posts, read 1,084,981 times

Advertisements

Wonder why unemployment benefits program is broke? Read this....

Man pleads guilty to using undocumented immigrants to get $4.4 million in unemployment benefits - Monday, Oct. 31, 2011 | 3:32 p.m. - Las Vegas Sun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 04:26 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
This certainly is a shocking incident, but if you've ever collected Unemployment Insurance payments you'd find it hard to believe this type of fraud is common. After 36 years of uninterrupted employment, I collected UI when the company I worked for went bankrupt.

In my case it was easy to file since the company in question had notified the state agency of the personnel that were let go and eligible. But it certainly wasn't easy to continue collecting for a long period of time. During the time I was covered, my claim was investigated several times for propriety, which is, no doubt, how these perpetrators were caught. And anyone who thinks that unemployment checks are enough to live on needs to try -- mine would have covered my mortgage payment OR my other modest expenses. Not both. I would be homeless were it not for personal savings and assistance from my family.

I went to many UI-sponsored programs to help people re-gain employment and all the people I met there had legitimate, and sometimes very unfortunate, reasons for collecting this insurance. The real tragedy is that so many people in our country NEED this assistance. People with little work experience and people over the age of 45 find it especially difficult to re-gain employment once furloughed and it's hardly their fault. I hope you aren't implying that UI fraud is on such a large scale that it's the only reason the program is in trouble.

I'm very glad to know most of these ill-gotten gains were recovered. I hope Francisco Garcia gets a sentence designed to discourage other people from trying such a scheme.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:48 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,537,916 times
how the heck do you file for insurance so many times?

I mean 591 applications into 4.4 million is an average of of nearly 7500 in benefits...

Old 11-01-2011, 08:54 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
how the heck do you file for insurance so many times?

I mean 591 applications into 4.4 million is an average of of nearly 7500 in benefits...
And at $350 a month, that's almost two years of benefits per ill-gotten name and bogus social security number.

Yes, the whole thing stinks on ice. But he was caught, his assets seized and he faces 35 years in the slam.

Whenever there is "free money" to be had, you will find people of questionable morals trying to game the system. This is a drop in the bucket compared to the billions in vapor-payments we've made to contractors in Iraq and Afghanistan. No arrests there, though.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:04 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,537,916 times
I'd rather my money goes to black ops versus some arsehole with a betting fetish

Old 11-01-2011, 11:53 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times
I'm still scratching my head over how that could happen, having worked for ESD for almost 14 years. They were really afraid there would be a lot more fraud when on-line filing and telephone claims was first proposed, but they figured that the savings in paper alone would probably counter any fraud there might be.

It's important to note that they were caught, and it sounds like they got back most of the money. I warn people all the time that they will be audited, and if they break the rules, they will pay it all back.

I still don't see how they could file that many fraudulent claims and not have employers screaming to high heavens, or a million different red flags popping up. I hate to say it, but I'm wondering if they had inside help. It has happened, especially where immigrants are concerned. But most government employees watch for such things and report it. Most of the ones I worked with were honest to the extreme, but we did get rid of three bad apples that I knew of, mostly for petty stuff. Back when you filed in person at the office, and you took a number and waited, we had a rent-a-cop that was selling lower numbers to people so they didn't have to wait so long. There was one guy who collected the over-payments from people who had illegally received UI. For small amounts they wouldn't press charges as long as you made regular payments on it. He was having them make checks out to him personally, or bring him cash, and people did it. I think they might have mostly been immigrants who expect government workers to be crooks.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:00 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times
4.4 million divided by 591 claims = an average of $286 a week for the normal 26 weeks. But they were also collecting the extended benefits, so the weekly average was less than that. Good thing they weren't all getting the maximum benefit. It's close to $400 a week now. That would have been over $6 million without the extended benefits. So it could have gone as high as 12 million or so. No wonder it was so tempting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas