Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 11:56 PM

30 posts, read 32,699 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I've been rummaging through the searches on this forum, and I just want to know. What is the average monthly income for a bartender? On strip- off strip. I may have a job lined up next summer after I move, and even if it takes a little while for me I have a place to stay and no bills. I want to know though so I can start looking into what types of housing I would be able to afford rent wise and bills. I've been a bartender for 2 1/2 years already, and I'm not union. I need to discuss with my Uncle if going Union would be in my best interest. I'm COMPLETELY okay with working at a small local bar. I don't have some fantasy dream of moving to Vegas and walking onto the strip and getting a job right off the bat (that would be suicide), plus...I like seeing regulars and bsing with them. I just can't find a good estimate on what I would be able to afford rent wise being a bartender online. One site said avg yearly income was $38,000, then I saw in a forum search on hear $100,000 + and I'm thinking that last one is a little un-realistic for anyone who hasn't lived in Vegas for an extended period of time. The first one may be close, but I don't know if it was with tips added in or not. Is it realistic to look at homes in the $1000.00 mnth rent range, and still be able to feed my two kids, cloth them, pay the utilities, etc.?

If there's a reference that anyone can give on the forum maybe a thread I missed that would be great. Thank you so much.

Nix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 02:36 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,161,845 times

But here you go.

//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...-else-who.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...artenders.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...st-living.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...p-pooling.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...-question.html

Old 12-07-2011, 08:25 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,127,019 times
did you mean BEFORE or AFTER the several YEARS of workin as a barback??????????

Old 12-07-2011, 08:27 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,509,301 times
....or, speaking about dead horses...maybe a bareback.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:32 AM

It would be before since that's how it typically is, as well as cocktail waitresses. Like I said I'm not looking to walk into Vegas and become some insanely paid bartender. I just want to know the basic info so I can look at rentals and try to get a pre-budget going. I'll be moving with just over 5 grand, and I wont have any expenses except using that money for buying diapers for my two kids, and formula for one. The rest will be used for gas money to get to from A to B for the store, and places to pick up applications and go on job interviews, and any cards I need for my job. I will set some aside for a deposit, but without knowing what type of housing I'll be able to afford, and of course nothing is concrete in pay scale until it's all said and done, I'm not sure how much to set aside for my deposit. I have a place to stay until I get a job, and get a place. This is really just information I want to start looking at now, because I'm one of those people that plans, and re-plans the same plan. I make charts and lists, and even if I don't follow my chart when the time comes, that's fine, but I have this insane thing about making out lists for things. Thank you so much for the responses, and the links for the threads. I greatly appreciate it.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:29 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,004,431 times
5 grand is nowhere near enough with 2 kids... you will start as a barback $9-$12 then after a couple years become a bartender which will give you 14. an hour plus tips (if you're lucky)... if you are at a dead bar, you'll starve.. if at a busy one, you'll do good.. But, believing that you already have a job lined up now as a bartender when you move in 6 months is laughable.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:56 PM

It should be enough since I don't have any bills to pay for. The 5 grand is to get there which 350 is for gas, maybe 100 for a hotel room. I'm going to stay with family until I get a job. I'm sure it is laughable, but I may be able to get a job lined up as either bartender, bar back, or cocktail waitress, either is fine with me by the time I move. I have experience in other jobs as well, and can do some side work with my dad. I have a lot of family there, in positions willing to help me. I was just wondering about what type of housing I could possibly afford. Sorry to ruffle anyone's feathers, and I once again, thank everyone for their opinions, and help. I thought I would ask on here so I could get different opinions than just people that I personally know, also, my family can be kinda busy sometimes so I figured it might also be faster on here. Thanks for the rough estimate everyone.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:01 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,004,431 times
Do you have JUICE?

Old 12-07-2011, 06:24 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,509,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Do you have JUICE?
Hey...leave religion out of this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas