Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 12:56 PM

697 posts, read 3,279,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Granola View Post

We're originally from the Detroit area (ugh), and recently lived in Omaha for a year (easily the most boring city in the country). We were looking for an urban environment where there was also lots of outdoor activities. We've been very pleased with Vegas. It's certainly a huge step up from Detroit! I've found the people to be very friendly (much more so than Detroit).

I know what you mean. I was raised in Detroit (close to dowtown) and I was stationed at Offut AFB for a while in Omaha. I could not agree with you more on those two cities. While I have no ambition to ever go back, I call Detroit my hometown and love what it has done for me.

Jfk- I will keep everyone posted. Not to prove you wrong, but just for fun. I will include the good and bad and will not sugar coat anything. I used to have a weekly thread about the same topic in the St. louis forum on a different site and alot of people enjoyed it. Maybe I'll do the same here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 01:18 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
great cj...I look forward to it. And I do hope all goes well for you in LV. What's good about you doing it now is...that you're both still young, starting out fresh, and no kids! good luck...and keep us posted, please.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:30 PM

I will. We don't plan on staying in LV but if that happens, so be it. We are going to finish school, and have fun while doing it, and then hopefully move back to Denver. Or if she gets her way, and she probably will, we will be in Hawaii. I will miss snowboarding if that is the case. At least in LV, I can get my snowboarding in with Brian Head and Arizona Snowbowl. Probably nothing like Vail or any of the other resorts on the Front Range.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:22 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski21 View Post
I will. We don't plan on staying in LV but if that happens, so be it. We are going to finish school, and have fun while doing it, and then hopefully move back to Denver. Or if she gets her way, and she probably will, we will be in Hawaii. I will miss snowboarding if that is the case. At least in LV, I can get my snowboarding in with Brian Head and Arizona Snowbowl. Probably nothing like Vail or any of the other resorts on the Front Range.
Hawaii does have some snow ... the big island's top elevation i think is over 10,000 ft. And i think people actually ski there

Old 09-05-2007, 10:38 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,333,139 times
Quote:
Don't know what the hill's like, but I've heard the snow is reasonably dry: Las Vegas Ski & Snowboard Resort - Home Page

Old 09-06-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
Hawaii does have some snow ... the big island's top elevation i think is over 10,000 ft. And i think people actually ski there
Yeah they do, but it is not improved at all on Mouna Kea. No lifts or anything. My fiance's dad has a condo in Kona and we vacation there every year. It is funny though, we went up there to check it out and they gave us all these warnings because we were going to be at 12000 feet all day. I told them to save their breath because my house in Wyoming is at 9800 feet. I run 2 miles in my neighborhood everyday. So I can handle 12000. I used to work as a trail worker at Rocky Mountain National Park and our work enviroment is from 9000 feet to 14270 feet. I am actually looking forward to the Police Deaprtment's physical fitness tests at LV's altitude. I'm sure if we move to Hawaii, I can trade in my snowboard for a surfboard.

And Sheriff, Thanks, I'll have to check that out. Do they get enough snow to stay open for very long? Is there a shop in town that would sell and work on snowboards?

Old 09-06-2007, 05:55 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
cj...I wish you and your fiance good luck and good fortune out there...please keep posting...I wouldn't mind someone new to the area proving me wrong on this.

Golf...tough to get back into work, I bet, after being off for a bit...but work is a double-edged sword...it takes time away form the golf game...but you need it to pay the golf fees, right? Glad to hear that all is going well for you. When is the permanent house gonna be done again? Are the kids in school yet, or are they too young...I forget. Good luck and please keep posting. I'll make a deal with you and cj...you keep posting, and I'll keep routing for you two, k?

PT...sorry...at the request of my brother, he has asked that I tell no stories, as he fears his identity could be compromised (he's kind of a paranoid fellow with that kind of stuff and his privacy.) Let's just suffice it to say that there's lots of backdoor politics and underhanded deals going on there. Then again, one can say that about many other places, too.
jfk,

The good news is that I've had 2 days off in a row (today and yesterday) so I've gotten to play both days The house will be ready in one month, I checked on it today and it's coming along fine. Kids are in the preschool age so we'll be checking on a co-op preschool once they get back out here.

I'll keep everyone posted on good and bad experiences with no sugarcoating.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:44 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
Quote:
I used to have a weekly thread about the same topic in the St. louis forum on a different site and alot of people enjoyed it. Maybe I'll do the same here.
Good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: