Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 10:26 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,952,845 times

Advertisements

I just *knew* they would quickly extend this bullet train to Palmdale and L.A.
"A new agreement signed today makes possible a second leg, linking Victorville to Palmdale, Calif., and eventually Los Angeles."
http://www.vegasinc.com/news/2012/ju...utmk=246437767

And to address all the naysayers on this thread (Scoop):
"...it addresses the biggest flaw in DesertXpress’ original plan -– the use of Victorville as a southern end point to the route."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 01:27 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,006,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
And to address all the naysayers on this thread (Scoop):
"...it addresses the biggest flaw in DesertXpress’ original plan -– the use of Victorville as a southern end point to the route."
Hey, as long as ther terminus ISN'T Victorville, I'm 100% in favor of the project.

I hope it actually happens as planned. I won't hold my breath, because when this many government agencies get involved, the likelihood of success goes down.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:24 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Hey, as long as ther terminus ISN'T Victorville, I'm 100% in favor of the project.

I hope it actually happens as planned. I won't hold my breath, because when this many government agencies get involved, the likelihood of success goes down.
2012 - DOT briefing

2013 - Enviromental impact study ordered

2018 - Mojave desert pocket gopher habitat identified

2019 - Desert Ecosystem Enviromental Protection Situation Hazards Identification Team assigned to conduct study

2025 - Study complete (D.E.E.P.S.H.I.T.) recommends relocation plan

2030 - Relocation plan completed, construction begins

Old 06-08-2012, 12:30 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,644,081 times
YOU ARE ***SO*** *SO* *SO* RIGHT!!!

+1,000,000,000,000

Jonathan

Old 06-08-2012, 12:56 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,437,590 times
There has been no major projects on the U.S. infrastructure, while the rest of the world keep building and improving theirs (especially China, and many other asian countries).

Old 06-08-2012, 03:30 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,055,047 times
I WISH this would happen.

Anyone who has ever been stuck in the huge traffic jam leaving Vegas after a big weekend knows we need something like this.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:33 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,140,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I can never support this project if they're going to terminate at Victorville. Plans to "maybe someday extend to the LA-SF rail line" will NEVER, EVER, EVER happen. And we'll be stuck with a multi-billion-dollar boondoggle whose main purpose was enriching the Reid family.

Send the train to Palmdale (or even better, Anaheim), or don't bother.
Should go from downtown Los Angeles to downtown Las Vegas. Would be a boon to downtown Las Vegas to have a major station there bringing in lots of people.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:40 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,573,141 times
As long as Harry Reid and his fat-cat Vegas bighshots cover 100% of this boondoggle supreme, and are willing to cover all of the cost overruns, and especially when they have to start blowing up mountains--can't wait to see that on YouTube, from this disaster in the making, let 'em blow their money anyway they like.

Then they'll make a movie out of it starring Jason Statham & Bruce Willis, and that will be that.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:27 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,952,845 times
This train IS going to go from downtown L.A. to Las Vegas. In fact, it will be linked to CA's high speed rail system so that you can go from here to San Francisco too. Let's face it. It HAS to get done sooner or later. Why wait until 2050? 2100? I mean those who invest in their future now will be the ones who reap the rewards for generations to come. Those who don't will get left behind.

Yes, it will be expensive. Yes, it may lose money for the first several years. Most businesses do! But imagine the boon to future commerce. Adding cargo sections on the back will improve interstate commerce immensely as the network expands up the west coast and up to SLC and beyond. As solar technology improves and continues to get cheaper, this kind of train can directly benefit and lower its costs... especially in the corridor they are planning for it.

I understand the gun-shy nature of many on this board, but people were saying the same exact thing during the Great Depression. Holding onto precious money out of fear is not necessarily the best thing for the whole. Just look at the Golden Gate Bridge or Hoover Dam. Those were even BIGGER projects to undertake during hard times. Were they boondoggles too (like so many people criticized back then)? It's probably powering the very computer you are using to read this 3/4 of a century later!

Old 06-11-2012, 12:44 AM

50 posts, read 85,251 times
Possible trouble ahead for the CA end of things...

Environmental objections in path of bullet train
Rail construction could create more emissions in an area that already has dirty air and high asthma rates. Resolving the issues could delay the project and boost costs.

Environmental objections in path of bullet train - latimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas