Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:28 PM

444 posts, read 1,614,655 times

Advertisements

I have seen solar screens on several houses. These are the type that appear to cover windows and even doors with a cloth appearing mesh.

Anyone have any idea about the cost of solar screens? Anyone have experience with cooling effect or electric savings? Do they make the inside of your home unbearably dark?

Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 01:52 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Can be worth while on south or west facing windows that are directly exposed to the sun. I would not use them on east or north facing.

They do darken a house. I take them off listed houses almost always to lighten the home.

Somewhat more expensive than regular screens and require a more robust install. Twice regular screens or so. I think you can likely price them at Loews or Home Depot.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:49 PM

219 posts, read 764,017 times
We had our whole house done in Las Vegas and it decreased the power bill about $20 a month. we've done the same here in Phoenix, well worth it.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:58 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,984,887 times
what about the solar screens vs. tint?

Old 05-23-2009, 05:09 PM

49 posts, read 401,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
what about the solar screens vs. tint?
Same here. I want this done this summer, just do not know which would be the best route.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:46 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Well having looked at a couple of thousand houses with bad placements relative the sun the sun screens win hands down.

Tint appears to win only on things like window walls facing the wrong direction.

I can't tell you whether it is science or marketing though.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Well having looked at a couple of thousand houses with bad placements relative the sun the sun screens win hands down.

Tint appears to win only on things like window walls facing the wrong direction.

I can't tell you whether it is science or marketing though.
I am leaning towards sun screens. Tint seems too much work and harder to remove if I wish for more lighting.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:23 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,340,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockAAAA View Post
I have seen solar screens on several houses. These are the type that appear to cover windows and even doors with a cloth appearing mesh.

Anyone have any idea about the cost of solar screens? Anyone have experience with cooling effect or electric savings? Do they make the inside of your home unbearably dark?

Thanks for the info.
I just got a quote for 2 screens that will screen my patio from the late afternoon sun. One screen is 8x15 and the other is 8x10, installed with a motor and timer so it lowers the screen automatically came out to $3400.

My wife had another company come yesterday for a another quote and the guy wouldn't even bother giving us a written estimate even after she asked several times. He was so vague that she got frustrated and threw him out. His quote was just a little higher than the first company, but he was so bad in his sales presentation that he lost me in the first minute.

The back of my house radiates so much from the afternoon sun. Most of these screens block out 90-96% of the sun so there will be substantial savings in the long run.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:43 PM

I was going to call Sun Off Vegas Solar Screens for an estimate. Does anyone here have SUNOFF solar screens?

Old 05-23-2009, 08:11 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
I had solar screens on our last house on the west facing windows. I ended up taking them down after I finally got sick of them. They get dirty and are hard to clean, and they block the view. And in a fire if you wanted to climb out a window it wouldn't be easy to kick them out of your way. You can see out a little bit but it's frustrating. We had our present west facing windows tinted. They don't block the view, are not too dark, and they do just fine keeping the sun out. Especially since they are double, or triple, or quadruple, or whatever panes. Best way to cut down on heat in your house is insulation in the roof. It also keeps in heat in the winter. A lot of the people selling solar screens are crooks. If you must have them look for a reputable company that has been in business in Las Vegas for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas