Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 11:31 PM

18 posts, read 30,283 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I'm just curious if anyone has relocated from So Cal to Henderson/Summerlin that have regretts?? So torn if m family should relocate or not. I'm a SAHM, but hubby is in IT and thinking of heading that way. We have kids too.
You can research forever and read all about it, but I want to know what do you think of NV now that you live there! Did you make the right choice? Do your kids like it? Is it still affordable? Or do you have regrets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 11:36 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Keep in mind that everyone's experiences relating to a move are entirely personal, as with their reactions to it. You can get opinions on this, but they aren't going to be predictive in any way of what would happen with respect to you and your family.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:44 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times
Does hubby have leads for employment? I hear IT is difficult in Las Vegas.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:20 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,074,309 times
I used to live in CA (LA) and have thought about going back in the recently past (San Diego), but like many, CA to NV has proven to be a one way move for me. I guess a lot depends on where you're living now in CA. If you're in inland empire then you wouldn't be losing much and probably gaining a bit (lower taxes, etc.) moving to Vegas. If you're from a nice part of LA, OC, San Diego, or some desirable part of CA and you come to Vegas then you'll soon learn why people pay so much money to live in CA.

It is DRASTICALLY cheaper to live in Vegas. Living in CA I could live in a small house with no money for vacations or much in the way of fun stuff. Living in NV I can live in a bigger house and have money for vacations, savings, etc.

I like Vegas and think it has a lot to offer, don't get me wrong, but if money was no object, I'd be living in San Diego now.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:22 AM

280 posts, read 572,183 times
I was driving a tour bus from SoCal to Vegas/Laughlin almost daily, I was spending more time in NV then at home, so I decided to move out here in 2001. I found that I enjoyed Vegas better then the IE where I was from. Plus I get paid a little more living out here (no state income tax, no SDI tax, no UI tax, cheaper sales tax, cheaper rent, cheaper fuel) and the air is a whole lot better to breathe and I'm alot farther from the San Andreas Fault. The only disadvantages, summer heat (its a little hotter here in LV then Riverside usually but a lot less humid), the beach is now 4+ hours away (Lake Mead just doesn't cut it), people are crazier, higher insurance, the CA liberal BS does spill over the border, it hardly ever rains (just a sprinkle every few months it seems) and I miss grass (most areas are required to have xeriscaping (rocks and cactus) - everything here is beige, tan, brown -- it is the desert).

Like the moderator mentioned, everyones reasons are different. Some love it out here, some tolerate it, some hate it and move back out. Las Vegas is not a forgiving place, you got to make sure you got all your ducks in a row (job, savings, housing) before you come or you'll find yourself in a pickle quickly if your not prepared. Jobs are scarce and the economy is down like California.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:36 AM

421 posts, read 898,712 times
Moved here three months ago and I could care less if I ever go back to California. I have found the people more friendly here, the homeowners and auto insurance lower and the air cleaner than it was in Orange County. I do think that the food is higher but overall I know that we have made the right decision

Old 04-28-2012, 08:51 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
I used to live in CA (LA) and have thought about going back in the recently past (San Diego), but like many, CA to NV has proven to be a one way move for me. I guess a lot depends on where you're living now in CA. If you're in inland empire then you wouldn't be losing much and probably gaining a bit (lower taxes, etc.) moving to Vegas. If you're from a nice part of LA, OC, San Diego, or some desirable part of CA and you come to Vegas then you'll soon learn why people pay so much money to live in CA.

It is DRASTICALLY cheaper to live in Vegas. Living in CA I could live in a small house with no money for vacations or much in the way of fun stuff. Living in NV I can live in a bigger house and have money for vacations, savings, etc.

I like Vegas and think it has a lot to offer, don't get me wrong, but if money was no object, I'd be living in San Diego now.
If money were no object, even "I" would be living in San Diego right now

Old 04-28-2012, 11:05 AM

73 posts, read 150,481 times
I'm in the process of moving from Vegas to CA. I don't think that Vegas is that bad and I'd probably stay if the school system was better for my kids and if my employment options were better. If you don't have kids and if your line of work fits well here, I'd say go for it.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:14 AM

901 posts, read 1,899,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4gyrlz View Post
I'm just curious if anyone has relocated from So Cal to Henderson/Summerlin that have regretts??
We did almost three years ago. My only regret is that we didn't do it sooner.

As observer53 said, individual experiences will vary. NV isn't for everyone, but we love it here.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:20 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,371,148 times
I think most of us, if money were no object, would live in San Diego or Santa Barber, or my choice Montecito, or maybe even Carmel.

But being part of the 99 percenters, this is no longer an option. So what's second best that you can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas