Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 12:11 PM

15,870 posts, read 14,517,338 times

Advertisements

^
Get yourself a carry permit, and get some handgun training. Then take up IDPA match shooting. You can get defense and a hobby all at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 02:04 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,068,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
^
Get yourself a carry permit, and get some handgun training. Then take up IDPA match shooting. You can get defense and a hobby all at the same time.
No permit here. But I was an officer once upon a time. And I LOVE shooting. I used to blow up 8 or 10 boxes of reloads at the range every day. I was pretty good too. I could have qualified at an elite level but we were counseled to just barely qualify. Why? Because if you qualify as a Master and have to shoot a perp, the jury/judge will question why you had to shoot to kill if you were good enough to just take out a trigger finger...

I've thought about the permit but here's my problem. How does a woman really carry a gun in a useful way? Especially in Vegas where it's too hot to put one in your waistband or wear a jacket all the time. I can't put it in my purse because it will end up with tic tacs, gum, or something all over it. Or I'll reach into my purse and shoot myself. And if you put it in a case inside the purse...you can't get to it quickly enough.

When I was an officer, no problem. I had a holster and it went with the outfit.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:19 PM

15,870 posts, read 14,517,338 times
Even as a women, you can dress around a gun. A good holster and fitting the cloths around it is key. And they have a lot of new very small carry guns.

The purse thing is probably a bad idea (what happens if they grab your purse), but they have purpose built concealled carry purses, that have hidden, easy access gun pockets.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:05 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,144,427 times
It's not that bad. You don't need a gun. A sharp object and / or a bad attitude are usually enough.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:14 PM

629 posts, read 1,176,553 times
All of the gun posts throughout the LV forum make me scared and sad - I can't believe I'm actually shopping for shotguns for the first time in my life.

My wife is Australian and we live there right now - even the bad guys don't have guns here - one of the benefits of being on a giant island

Would i need a gun even for riding our bikes to the local grocery store in centennial hills? (durango/elkhorn area)

Last edited by topaz420; 08-14-2012 at 09:06 PM..

Old 08-14-2012, 08:23 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,314,946 times
Last time I was in Vegas I was alone. I went everywhere alone and did a lot of walking. I even hung out on Fremont till 1 or 2 AM alone. Never once did I feel like I was in any danger, even after a few drinks. I talked to ALL kinds of people (some wierd street people too) and it was all good. I am not naive or stupid. I am very aware of my surroundings and I am smart.

And I take kickboxing. So there's that.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:19 PM

611 posts, read 952,496 times
I usually won't carry a purse off-strip anyways, or in any big city, just to feel less like an older lady-target LOL. I can get my keys, cell phone, credit card, and a bit of cash in a hoodie pocket or light jacket. It's also very annoying packing one around and having to put it down on the floor in poker rooms or buffets etc. As far as the gun thing goes, it would be so much red tape for a Canadian to get a handgun even with a Canadian FAC. I'm a trap shooter too so it would be a little conspicuous to hide my 12-gauge....:-)

Old 08-14-2012, 09:41 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,312,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz420 View Post
All of the gun posts throughout the LV forum make me scared and sad - I can't believe I'm actually shopping for shotguns for the first time in my life.

My wife is Australian and we live there right now - even the bad guys don't have guns here - one of the benefits of being on a giant island

Would i need a gun even for riding our bikes to the local grocery store in centennial hills? (durango/elkhorn area)
Extremely doubtful that you would need a gun to ride your bike to a store in Centennial hills. Or most parts of the valley for that matter.
I have never carried a gun in all the years of living here, over 13 years. I am just aware of my surroundings, no matter how great the area is, and I try to get home before dark now, whereas in my earlier days of LV living, I used to go out at night to walk, alone. Dumb idea for many reasons.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:04 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,068,865 times
You don't need to be armed to walk around Vegas. I've been walking here for ages and have never had any problem even though all I was carrying was my common sense. Just be aware of your surroundings and reasonably careful.

Through my eyes, Vegas is pretty tame.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:23 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,144,427 times
Even though I've left my common sense behind on many occasions, LV has always treated me right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: