Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 01:23 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntonv View Post
I've wondered about the school supply thing. Curious on your list at the bottom does it say:

"Note: The CCSD provides necessary supplies for all students in order to meet their educational needs. However, we know that sometimes parents choose to buy additional supplies for their children. Should you decide to do this, above are suggested items that would be appropriate for you child's grade level. These are suggested supplies to being the school year and are not mandatory. Supply lists will be sent home during the school year as items are needed. All items are for use in the classroom."

Last year was our first year at CCSD and I purchased everything on the list. When I went to Meet-N-Greet, I asked the teacher about it and she said that I didn't need to buy all that stuff. She had so much stuff and nowhere to store it all. So I told her just to let me know when she needed something and I would buy it and bring it in. I'm in the classroom volunteering every week anyway.

So, this year I'm thinking I should just wait and see what the teacher says first. Do any of you just wait to buy and check with their teacher first before using the generic school list?
Every store that sells supplies has a generic list near the entrance of the store or near the supplies. It is broken down by grade level and is twice as long as the list I received from the admins of my daughter's school.

Before I was handed a list, the admins asked what grade my daughter was in and if she was in G.A.T.E. From my experience last year, all of the children in the GATE program use twice as many supplies as well as a lot more specific stuff. There is also a monthly supply list that we would receive for GATE supplies.

Sent from phone using app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 01:30 PM

136 posts, read 276,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Every store that sells supplies has a generic list near the entrance of the store or near the supplies. It is broken down by grade level and is twice as long as the list I received from the admins of my daughter's school.

Before I was handed a list, the admins asked what grade my daughter was in and if she was in G.A.T.E. From my experience last year, all of the children in the GATE program use twice as many supplies as well as a lot more specific stuff. There is also a monthly supply list that we would receive for GATE supplies.

Thanks. I guess I didn't mean "generic" as in from a supply store. This is the list given to us from our school and broken down by grade and then it has that "disclaimer" on the bottom.

It was that list that I purchased from last year when the teacher said that I didn't have to get all the stuff.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:16 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
Active duty Air Force, will retire and move back to Vegas in a few years.
Thank you for your service!

Old 08-18-2012, 03:51 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times
I pretty much figured that the supply store's list will always have more items on it than the list that the school provides. Good for business.

For example: Wal-Mart's list has crayons and color pencils on it for a 4th grader. The list that I had has color pencils only.

I already confirmed that 4th graders at my daughters school won't be needing them.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas