Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 01:16 AM

19 posts, read 23,927 times

Advertisements

but car registration is insane here now ( over 2k for 2 cars ) PER YEAR OUCH.

Are you kidding about the above? Is there a website where I can find out how much our cars will cost to register? That is extremely high. Thanks for your post it's helpful. 7 Hills? I better go research that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 01:21 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Change View Post

Are you kidding about the above? Is there a website where I can find out how much our cars will cost to register? That is extremely high. Thanks for your post it's helpful. 7 Hills? I better go research that area.
If your two cars are worth more than $100,000, then yes, your registration fees will be more than $2,000.

I really don't see how that is "insane." Even if I owned a Maserati, I would consider the fee just part of the cost of buying a very expensive car.

I really pity the poor Bugatti Veyron owner who has to pay $5,000 in registration fees. [/sarcasm]

Old 09-07-2012, 01:26 AM

557 posts, read 793,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
This is not the first time we have heard from someone with a Maserati or similar griping about the high cost of registration. Our property taxes amount to "not much," sales tax is a little on the high side, but balance that against no state income tax. The state has to make money one way or another. If you don't want to pay, sell the Bentley (or whatever) and get something less expensive.

People move here because it's as close as the US gets to a tax haven, where you don't have to be Mitt Romney to enjoy the benefits.
Not griping my friend and I do not own a Maserati, but rather a Nissan ( yes a Nissan ). Like I said in my original post, for ME it is a " ZERO SUM GAME " cost of living wise NV vs NY . My only gripe is DMV goes off the MSRP price and not the actual price I paid and I can prove with an official bill of sale. NV and a few other states use this very sneaky tax to get the revenue as we are trained as a society to focus on property taxes and income tax, but not car registation taxes. I agree the State needs to make money and this is one way NV does it.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:33 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyliveonce View Post
Not griping my friend and I do not own a Maserati, but rather a Nissan ( yes a Nissan ). Like I said in my original post, for ME it is a " ZERO SUM GAME " cost of living wise NV vs NY . My only gripe is DMV goes off the MSRP price and not the actual price I paid and I can prove with an official bill of sale. NV and a few other states use this very sneaky tax to get the revenue as we are trained as a society to focus on property taxes and income tax, but not car registation taxes. I agree the State needs to make money and this is one way NV does it.
It's not "sneaky." If Nevada did it any other way, people would trip over themselves rushing to DMV with a bill of sale for a $1.00 Ferrari. Nevada would be GLUTTED with late-model 89-cent Mercedes. I-15 would be choked with 50-cent white Bimmers. People in this state REALLY hate taxes and will do damned near anything to avoid them.

The registration fees go WAY down as the car gets older. My seven-year old truck has a yearly fee of $200. Just another reason to go certified pre-owned.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
It's not "sneaky." If Nevada did it any other way, people would trip over themselves rushing to DMV with a bill of sale for a $1.00 Ferrari. Nevada would be GLUTTED with late-model 89-cent Mercedes. I-15 would be choked with 50-cent white Bimmers. People in this state REALLY hate taxes and will do damned near anything to avoid them.

The registration fees go WAY down as the car gets older. My seven-year old truck has a yearly fee of $200. Just another reason to go certified pre-owned.
Now I dought on a new car sale the dealer is going to play games with the bill of sale. On used cars I could see a potential for abuse, but if you can document the money transaction and sign an affidavid regarding the sale price I dought many games would be played. If seller had to sign an affidavid I do not think they would play games for the buyer and risk a felony. Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:44 AM

The " sneaky " part of the tax is that it is an unusal and less common approach to get revenue. For example, when you are looking at houses one asks how much are the property taxes ? Also when one looks to relocate, does this State I am considering have an income tax ? Now how many people looking to relocate ask how much is it to register my car ? Think about it.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:24 AM

646 posts, read 1,157,082 times
I dunno. I'd guess that, rather than "sneaky," it may be surprising to people who are not familiar with how a no-state-income-tax state has to gather revenue. (And where such states don't do much of that, the result may be a far from pretty picture.)

Consider: what if you came from Nevada and went to a state that, yes, has (for the sake of argument) lower vehicle registration fees ... only to be bowled over with the huge payment that is the state income tax? Would that be "sneaky"?

Old 09-07-2012, 07:58 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
I'm surprised the car registration costs haven't been made a political isssue. If I was running for your state legislature out there I'd use cutting them as part of my campaign.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:04 AM

646 posts, read 1,157,082 times
I wouldn't. I'm surprised to find I'm defending a tax, but this is after I've seen a truly poor state. Services do cost something.

Anyway, I'd far rather pay hundreds for auto registration than tens of thousands in state income tax. Yearly.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:22 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Change View Post

Are you kidding about the above? Is there a website where I can find out how much our cars will cost to register?
Here you go:

https://dmvapp.nv.gov/dmv/vr/vr_esti...tioninput.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas