Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 07:10 PM

11 posts, read 11,580 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]I would agree that TIME FACTOR could slightly favor air flight, but when comparing total trip time, flying is not much quicker. The plane does not pick you up at your door, use your street as a runway and drop you off at your hotel. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]TOTAL time for flying should include the drive to the airport, check in, clearing security, waiting at the gate, boarding, the taxi, flight time, deplaning, picking up luggage, waiting in the cab line and the trip to the hotel. The actual total time to fly, from home to hotel, is closer to 4 to 5 hours. And that’s IF, and that’s a big IF, the plane flys on schedule. How often does that happen?[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 07:19 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTNT View Post
[SIZE=3]I would agree that TIME FACTOR could slightly favor air flight, but when comparing total trip time, flying is not much quicker. The plane does not pick you up at your door, use your street as a runway and drop you off at your hotel. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]TOTAL time for flying should include the drive to the airport, check in, clearing security, waiting at the gate, boarding, the taxi, flight time, deplaning, picking up luggage, waiting in the cab line and the trip to the hotel. The actual total time to fly, from home to hotel, is closer to 4 to 5 hours. And that’s IF, and that’s a big IF, the plane flys on schedule. How often does that happen?[/SIZE]
If your logic is right, then you also have to figure in traffic on the interstate between LV and SoCal. The 15 gets congested easy on weekends and holidays. When there is a wreck it can really cause a big delay in your travel. If things go smooth, then you have to deal with the traffic when you get into the LA metro area and that can always be long delay esp during rush hour. I still vote to fly but that is just me.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:00 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
I believe there are some services that provide a daily roundtrip for merchandise. We actually have a client who drives a chemical truck round trip four days a week.

I would think if you could provide a service for small merchandise and haul people a good bit less expensively it might work. Leave Las Vegas at 7AM and return at 1PM so you miss both bad traffic periods in LA. It would have to be terminal based though as you would get killed picking up and dropping off.

I don't think you will find any great need above $150 or so.

Now a good local shuttle service? But that will never get passed the Nevada old boy's club.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:52 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
It seems to me that you are seeing the elderly as a significant client base and I would not discourage that, in and of itself. Many elders who can no longer drive, or don't even WANT to drive distances due to fear of their own capabilities and especially of other drivers, would love door to door service from someone they trusted and many would pay handsomely. I know a few. BUT I would agree with those who say your business plan is doomed in Las Vegas due to the extreme cronyism of those regulating public transportation in a city that is overrun with tourists who come without their cars.

The elders I know who hire a driver with his or her own car have met them through personal recommendations or through their church. That way they feel secure about the person. Elders are often preyed on and are fearful, sometimes not even enough, so who the driver is would be a huge issue for them, even in a cab. I personally know two people who drive elders, but both of them live in small towns that don't have other transportation options. One gets tons of business driving people to doctor appointments and other places around town. The other takes several different people on longer trips — usually they are visiting out of town children and they need to be dropped off and picked up. Both these guys just do this for extra pocket money and I suspect payment is under the table. Clearly, that's not what you're talking about. I suspect LV licensing will make this not cost-effective unless you have some kind of magic way to drum up business that I can't even imagine.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:46 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
I still vote to fly but that is just me.
One can legally drink during the trip on a flight - another advantage of wings over wheels.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:10 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
If you have elite status on the airline you're flying, or have a business or first class ticket, and aren't checking a bag, air travel can be much shorter, especially if your destination is near the airport. For my commute type flights I never get to the airport more than 45 minutes before departure.

Last Wednesday I left my home in the Lakes at 7:25AM and was sitting behind my desk in Silicon Valley at 10AM. I went through security at 7:50AM, plane took off at 8:30AM, got to the gate at 9:45AM, hopped in a taxi at 9:50AM and it took ten minutes to get to my office. That's two hours and 35 minutes door to door. I could have cut things much closer, but I allow extra time for getting stuck in traffic, which we did, twice (once near Rainbow, and again at the airport exit). I have a friend who used to fly the same route and she'd shave 15 minutes off my time. She'd leave home 50 minutes before departure, though she is closer to a 215 on-ramp.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:06 PM

Once again, thanks for all the input.

It seems to me there are many areas out there without convenient flying/airport options. I’m thinking Bakersfield/Delano/Ridgecrest, Flagstaff/Kingman & St. George/Cedar City. Also, flights from the Palm Beach airport are VERY expensive, therefore the Palm Springs/Indio area could be a market.

I can’t argue about the booze factor though. Good point.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:23 PM

I definitely see senior living or retirement communities as a market. You are correct though, elders want somebody they can trust. I may be able to work with activities coordinators and provide references as I get established. I’m certain I will be able to gain their faith.

As far as Las Vegas or the State of Nevada are concerned, they do not regulate interstate travel unless you are driving a bus or truck. Interstate travel would be travel across state lines. The feds regulate that.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:25 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
you need a local license to pick up here.....if you pick up in Los Angeles and drive here thats fine....if you pick up here and drive elsewhere you MUST I repeat you MUST be licensed in the state of Nevada and it aint gonna happen.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:01 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTNT View Post
Once again, thanks for all the input.

It seems to me there are many areas out there without convenient flying/airport options. I’m thinking Bakersfield/Delano/Ridgecrest, Flagstaff/Kingman & St. George/Cedar City. Also, flights from the Palm Beach airport are VERY expensive, therefore the Palm Springs/Indio area could be a market.

I can’t argue about the booze factor though. Good point.
Palm Springs airport?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas