Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 07:57 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGhost View Post
The city is too transient and I'm pretty sure all these businesses know this. Most people I've known come here to live and wind up leaving after a few months because the job market isn't very lucrative. You have to understand the principle of the thing, really. What kind of people does Vegas attract in the majority?

If Vegas shrinks from the widespread gambling elsewhere, I'm fine with that. Not that I discourage people from trying to come here to buck the economy and improve the way of life, but I've seen way too many people come here for that very purpose and wind up leaving, so what can I tell you? This climate isn't for everyone.
Ohh? Cite your source.

Las Vegas is realtively high on transiency - just below Dallas TX. You think Dallas is being destroyed by transiency?

If you really know something about transiency kindly cite your source. . And that means a source with data...not some newspaper article that opines transiency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 09:03 PM

80 posts, read 145,030 times
I thought I just did. And I didn't cite some newspaper article, either. It's common knowledge; you just said it yourself.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
I thought I just did. And I didn't cite some newspaper article, either. It's common knowledge; you just said it yourself.
No. I know that Las Vegas is on the high end of transiency. But no I don't believe it to be much of a factor. It is simply a given when a place grows reasonably fast.

There is a difference between "high" and "too".

Old 10-22-2012, 01:18 AM

328 posts, read 726,477 times
Quote:
The city is too transient and I'm pretty sure all these businesses know this. Most people I've known come here to live and wind up leaving after a few months because the job market isn't very lucrative. You have to understand the principle of the thing, really. What kind of people does Vegas attract in the majority?

If Vegas shrinks from the widespread gambling elsewhere, I'm fine with that. Not that I discourage people from trying to come here to buck the economy and improve the way of life, but I've seen way too many people come here for that very purpose and wind up leaving, so what can I tell you? This climate isn't for everyone.
They come. Go back home. Come back go back home. Than come back.
What the heck is that all about? Glad they can afford it because I can't.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:10 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
^^ This is "back home" for me. I'd like to leave, but I can't afford it either

Most of the people I am friends with in the valley have lived here for ten years or more. People do move out a lot though. Half of the people I used to play softball with have left the valley.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:05 AM

This is a free country and you can believe whatever you want. I'm responding based on the article. Cite me credible sources that determine Las Vegas isn't too transient...

Last edited by VegasGhost; 10-22-2012 at 09:18 AM..

Old 10-22-2012, 09:38 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoo View Post
They come. Go back home. Come back go back home. Than come back.
What the heck is that all about? Glad they can afford it because I can't.
People move here for thousands of different reasons. We have the threads to prove it.

Retirement
weather
tired of the east coast
hate the snow
low taxes
cheap homes
fantasy
that one Las Vegas strip visit that did it for them
quick easy money
dream
get away from family
move closer to family
military
mountains
desert life
new job
start all over
close their eyes and point to a place on the map

Old 10-22-2012, 10:54 AM

I told you where Las Vegas is on the transiency list. That list is built upon the IRS data on where people file from one year to the next. Las Vegas is in the high group of large cities...just behind Dallas TX. I always cite that to put it in perspective. Do you believe Dallas has too high a transiency level?

So yes we are relatively high in transiency...but not out of reason.

We too watch people come and go as a matter of our job. We have some reasonable view on why they do both.

My perspective is somewhat broader than yours as I have years of experience with people going and common in both east coast and west coast situations as well as Las Vegas.

Perhaps your more parochial views prevents you putting Las Vegas into context.

I remember well talking senior engineering people into moving to California which they believed would destroy the morality of their children.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:07 AM

There's nothing parochial about it. it's my opinion. If you're opinion differs, you won't see me challenging it because they are what they are - opinions. Why you have chosen to call me out on my opinion is something I'm not interested in knowing, either. This doesn't need to be argued, so I'm moving on.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:52 AM

So I don't have a right to opine that your opinion is parochial?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas