Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 08:21 PM

43 posts, read 69,839 times

Advertisements

Russell and Boulder Copper Creek Richmond American Homes is the builder, just got my closing date of Oct 18. As this is new construction, can anyone help with a checklist of things to purchase/things to do in order of priorities? like I know as it gets closer I can call up Cox to get internet/cable/phone setup.

Is there a choice for gas companies? I have never in my life paid a water bill or a gas bill. I know I need to buy a washer/dryer and a water softener, as those are the only appliances that don't come with the house.

I have to get ceiling fans for some rooms, someone told me to go to Fanco...

It is just the priority of things I want to get straight, to make sure I don't miss something ultra important, as this is my first home purchase.

Thanks, I appreciate all the information I get from reading these forums.

PS Didn't MacGeek post something on this earlier? (if so a link would be great)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 08:34 PM

73 posts, read 103,821 times
As far as the ceiling fans go, FANCO is waaaaaay overpriced. Thats just my opinion though

Old 10-03-2012, 11:52 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,807,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow7478 View Post
Russell and Boulder Copper Creek Richmond American Homes is the builder, just got my closing date of Oct 18. As this is new construction, can anyone help with a checklist of things to purchase/things to do in order of priorities? like I know as it gets closer I can call up Cox to get internet/cable/phone setup.

Is there a choice for gas companies? I have never in my life paid a water bill or a gas bill. I know I need to buy a washer/dryer and a water softener, as those are the only appliances that don't come with the house.

I have to get ceiling fans for some rooms, someone told me to go to Fanco...

It is just the priority of things I want to get straight, to make sure I don't miss something ultra important, as this is my first home purchase.

Thanks, I appreciate all the information I get from reading these forums.

PS Didn't MacGeek post something on this earlier? (if so a link would be great)
First thing hire an inspector and get the house checked out properly. Than have them fix whatever he finds. There will be lots.

No real choices on utilities. YOu get the local water, SWGas, NVEnergy. You can pick a cable or internet but Cox is the only rational choice. Get your phone from Cox as well if you want a land line, Republic is it for trash and they will come to you. Any of the big hardware stores have fans. Look and see what looks good and does not go outside your budget.

Next you start thinking about window coverage and landscaping...and you realize you have not yet paid all your dues.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:30 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,950,670 times
Shadow, all the local utilities (trash, water, cable, etc.) and contact numbers should have been given to you on a single sheet of paper by your builder. If they haven't done so, ask them for it so you can set up those accounts and the start date of service.

Coordinate a mover or Uhaul early enough to suit the amount of things you need to move.

Fanco is expensive, but it does have some nice stuff. Most people are happy with what they find in any big box store. Honestly, we use use the A/C since fans seem to aggravate our allergies.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:21 AM

932 posts, read 2,348,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGtoLV View Post
As far as the ceiling fans go, FANCO is waaaaaay overpriced. Thats just my opinion though
Agreed, although it regularly has two-for-one sales that make the prices more reasonable. We needed five for our new house last year and bought them all at Lowe's, which had a good selection and was cheaper. We're happy with all of them.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:27 AM

43 posts, read 69,839 times
u have to pay for trash removal???? thought that was included in property taxes? not even in the HOA fees? $70 a month hoa....Where I grew up, the county did it, and it was part of ur taxes.

landscaping is desert, and the HOA does front landscaping. Once I insure i have the days off of work, I will order a moving truck to get my stuff out of storage. i will check lowes and home depot's websites today for fans... I am already starting to look for washer's and dryers, next thing is water softener.

Of course Ill need blinds/curtains etc... I think it will take at least a month to figure out everything i need.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:44 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
You can live without a water softener for awhile, so it's not like you have to do that in the first week. Some of us have never had one (and LV water and Phx area water would have similar characteristics).

Trash pickup is something you pay for through the city if you are in city limits. If LV is like Phoenix area cities, it's billed with your water. HOAs don't handle trash collection.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:01 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,436,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow7478 View Post
...... $70 a month hoa....
.....landscaping is desert, and the HOA does front landscaping.
Your HOA fee is a bargain if it includes all front yard landscaping and maintenance.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:01 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,538,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Trash pickup is something you pay for through the city if you are in city limits. If LV is like Phoenix area cities, it's billed with your water. HOAs don't handle trash collection.

Mine is not... republic comes separate from LV water dist billing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
unless you live with a common pick point, eg Townhomes/Condo's

Old 10-04-2012, 12:53 PM

421 posts, read 898,794 times
Shadow, if you are a vet, bring proof of Lowe's or Home Depot and get a 10% discount. Denise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas