Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2012, 09:12 PM

306 posts, read 434,012 times

Advertisements

I posted recently that I will be moving to Las Vegas at the end of the year. I am temporarily staying in Texas with family until I move. One reason was so I could save enough to get a vehicle to have when I moved. I found a dealership, applied for a vehicle, got financing and insurance and picked up the car. I explained my current living situation to the dealership and they said no problem. Today, I received a call from the finance company that they need proof of residency for the address I used to purchase the car. I am not sure how I will provide that because nothing is in my name. I don't pay rent or any utilities. When I left to come here, I changed my address to General Delivery, because I didn't know where I would end up.

How do I handle this? If you require clearer or more details, let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 12:58 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalik View Post
I posted recently that I will be moving to Las Vegas at the end of the year. I am temporarily staying in Texas with family until I move. One reason was so I could save enough to get a vehicle to have when I moved. I found a dealership, applied for a vehicle, got financing and insurance and picked up the car. I explained my current living situation to the dealership and they said no problem. Today, I received a call from the finance company that they need proof of residency for the address I used to purchase the car. I am not sure how I will provide that because nothing is in my name. I don't pay rent or any utilities. When I left to come here, I changed my address to General Delivery, because I didn't know where I would end up.

How do I handle this? If you require clearer or more details, let me know.

Thanks in advance.
A letter from the primary resident where you live might work. I'd have it notarized.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:36 AM

526 posts, read 832,975 times
When my son came home from the military he had similar problem. He was living with us and DMV wanted residency proof.
I "created" a lease for him. Then he was "OFFICIALLY" a resident because he was "renting" from me..

Old 10-30-2012, 07:24 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
This issue really isn't a Las Vegas problem, as this isn't car registration, it's qualifying for the loan. I'd use tadtam's suggestion. Write up a lease between you and whoever you are staying with.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:06 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,537,916 times
it's not a car registration issue... it's a finance company issue.

what is the purpose of proof of residency? I can not think of a single reason why you should provide the information since the loan is in place and you have the vehicle. As the legal owner, you are not supposed to move around or change your residence?

if the finance company is getting hold of you, that tells me they might try and squeeze you for additional costs by trying to apply pressure... if that happens, go tell them to pound sand. as a matter of fact, go tell them to pound sand any way. If underwriting can not get their act together pre loan approval, that is not your issue. Let them know, as soon as you are settled that you will let them know where you are living.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
it's not a car registration issue... it's a finance company issue.

what is the purpose of proof of residency? I can not think of a single reason why you should provide the information since the loan is in place and you have the vehicle. As the legal owner, you are not supposed to move around or change your residence?

if the finance company is getting hold of you, that tells me they might try and squeeze you for additional costs by trying to apply pressure... if that happens, go tell them to pound sand. as a matter of fact, go tell them to pound sand any way. If underwriting can not get their act together pre loan approval, that is not your issue. Let them know, as soon as you are settled that you will let them know where you are living.
LOL @ pounding sand!!!! I think I have the correct solution. I have to fill out a Texas Residency Affidavit, have all parties sign and get it notarized. It's a pain to have to do the process again when I get to Nevada in mid-December, but I guess if that's what it takes. I think I was a tad bit worried because in reading the fine print, it says if the application is incomplete for any reason, I would be in default and they could repossess the vehicle.

Edited to add thank you. You made me feel less stressed about the situation.

Last edited by rmalik; 10-30-2012 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: to add a line.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:17 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
As the legal owner, you are not supposed to move around or change your residence?
You're not the legal owner until the car is paid off and the finance company releases their interest in the vehicle. Until then, the bank is the legal owner, and you are the registered owner.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:18 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,537,916 times
that is true... but it doesn't change the response. the finance company can not simply call in the loan or change any aspects here to in that OP should be minutely worried about... unless this is some kind of unconventional loan.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You're not the legal owner until the car is paid off and the finance company releases their interest in the vehicle. Until then, the bank is the legal owner, and you are the registered owner.
Yes, you are correct. I spoke with them and the residency affidavit and updated license will suffice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: