Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 11:07 AM

244 posts, read 440,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
happen to like having a wall around my house though I wish mine was taller. Don't care to see my neighbors when I'm in my backyard and I know they don't want to see me.

And about backyard walls, i think its just personal preference, i would love to see my neighbor every morning and invite him for coffe,talk...... I think also backyards would look much nicer because everyone would feel ashamed if his backyard is looking worst then others......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 11:45 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioni888 View Post
HOA is great thing. I agree. But in this case why i should change my landscaping backyard plans if some HOA member tells me that rocks are 5 inches larger then what he would like to see?
Im the only person who is gonna to see them anyway, they are in MY backyard, not his.

And about multiple cars..... My friend got cited from his HOA beause there were multiple cars in the front of his house at the time his daughter celebrated her first birthday. He knew he would get it but decided to celebrate it anyway at his house. Dont you think HOA should make exception sometimes? If his neighbors (who also attended his doughter birthday) agree for that day that its OK to park multiple cars in the front of his house then why HOA is going to punish him?

HOA is getting money from its members,right? So if all members agree to something then why punish them?
That is part of living with an HOA. They have guidelines you follow them you wont have problems.

As for the birthday party maybe the HOA requires to be notified of events which will have extra cars/more people in the community. Maybe they dont allow cars on the street after a certain hour which in that case you need to plan around that or have them park outside of the community-I dont know.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:49 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
Quote:
And about backyard walls, i think its just personal preference, i would love to see my neighbor every morning and invite him for coffe,talk...... I think also backyards would look much nicer because everyone would feel ashamed if his backyard is looking worst then others......

I say hi and don't mind some chit-chat but I dont want to have coffee with my neighbors, that is just me.

Just drive around some older neighborhoods and you will see many people are not ashamed of their living conditions.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 896 times
A tree limb broke so I cut it down. HOA fined me $100.They stated that CCRs indicated that i need to use a professional arborist. Can the really enforce this.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:14 PM

561 posts, read 681,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post
A tree limb broke so I cut it down. HOA fined me $100.They stated that CCRs indicated that i need to use a professional arborist. Can the really enforce this.
What - exactly - do the CCRs say about tree maintenance? How about landscaping maintenance? Can you find the word professional or commercial in any clause that has to do with repairs?

Old 09-27-2016, 03:45 PM

238 posts, read 548,109 times
Quote:
Let me ask you one question. You buy your dream house for ,lets say 200.000$ and decide to change landscaping in your backyard.

You need to get approval from the neighbors on both sides, and across the street.

Now , you get approval from everyone but ONE neighbor. He decide for whatever reason to not sign it.

What do you do then? You have your house but cant change your landscaping because one neighbor?

Or maybe you got signatures from all neighbors but one board member of HOA decide not approve it because he does not like color of your stones?

Wow
We didn't get any neighbor signatures. We told the HOA were living in NJ when we submitted the forms and they said not to worry about. I would say get the signatures you can and just put N/A on the signature line for the lone *******.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:25 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post
You agreed to it when you signed, so yes.

$100 is a lot cheaper than paying a company so you won.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:30 PM

561 posts, read 681,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
You agreed to it when you signed, so yes.

$100 is a lot cheaper than paying a company so you won.
That assumes the CC&Rs actually say what the HOA Board / Property Manager think they do. It would not be at all surprising if the PM/Board has simply assumed they have the authority to dictate landscaping decisions, without the CC&Rs actually granting that authority.

As an example, my CC&Rs forbid any changes "of an Improvement, including landscaping, in the Project which is visible from any Common Elements of Limited Common Elements" unless approved by the Architectural Committee / Board. The problem is, there are very few Common Elements in the development. In fact there are only 3, and two consist of landscaping outside the development walls. Thus, any changes to my landscaping are not visible from any Common Element. I pointed this fact out when they got grumpy that I removed a tree from my front yard that the previous owner had allowed to die by virtue of not watering it for over a year. They backed off, and I replaced the tree with a peach tree that has grown wonderfully.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:02 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,153,055 times
Every time I read on of these threads it strengthens my resolve to not buy in a HOA.

Have rented 2 nice houses without them and been very happy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas