Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 12:07 AM

322 posts, read 565,407 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 08:10 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Kinda like the gun ban people. One guy shoots someone and suddenly they come out of the woodwork screaming about how we're all gonna be shot.
One guy??

That one guy must get around considering that on average 235 people get shot every day.

That's approximately 10 people every hour of every day, 365 days a year.

One guy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Logic? We don' need no stinkin' logic.
Apparently not.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:55 PM

322 posts, read 565,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That one guy must get around considering that on average 235 people get shot every day.

Cherry picking a few statistics to present a very narrow and misleading view to get people emotional is a common tactic, usually used by both sides of an issue, to try gain support they otherwise can't get if people take time to look at the complete situation in a rational manner.

In this case for for example, how many of those were justified shootings, like a cop shooting an armed robber or a victim shooting a rapist attacker? How many were suicides? How many were acts of war? How many of those shot would have been killed by other means anyway by the shooter? How many lives are saved by guns that otherwise would have been lost?

I'm all for reducing the chance of mass killings, but banning guns is only an emotional, "feel good" action, and is not the solution. Illegal drugs are readily available... what makes anyone think if guns become illegal that they won't still be readily available as well? And for argument's sake, if a psycho can't get a gun, what makes anyone think he won't make a bomb using commonly available items and internet instructions, and perhaps kill more than a gun would? Remember what a simple fertilizer and fuel bomb did to OK City?

While we're at it, I think we need to ban water along with guns. Here are statistics to back up that need: Ban Hydrogen Dioxide - Petition Spot

It's easy to make most anything appear as good or bad as you want.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:22 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Here in Nevada, we are fond of our second amendment rights and I'm not opposed to people owning guns. I am interested in hearing arguments on both sides about the assault rifle thing, as well as the mental health issues.

I know a guy here in town whose neighbor is a DEA agent. He left his service weapon in his car one night and it was stolen. The same friend was also burglarized when he was out of town and was freaking because he thought they might have stolen his guns. He did not want to be responsible, morally or legally for a gun crime.( His guns were secured fairly well and were not stolen)

I know another guy here in town whose druggie roommate stole his gun and sold it for drugs.

Both of the aforementioned guns were recovered.

Maybe the discussion shouldn't be so much about who is allowed to own a gun, but the manner in which the weapon is secured?

Back to topic. Las Vegas has lots of prostitution, pickpockets, and petty thieves. Car theft is an issue too. Those crimes don't scare me. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I've lived and worked in some of the rougher parts of town and haven't had a major problem. (knock wood)

Old 01-04-2013, 03:01 PM

207 posts, read 509,652 times
Quote:
One guy??

One guy??

Apparently not.
And how may people are protected by guns or protect themselves with them in the same time frame? How many people die in swimming pools? or with knives or bats? How many of us die in automobiles?

+1 to LV2ndHome

I agree with the OP, but there are lots of misconceptions about LV. I've found most of our friends/family pretty open minded and open to listening to our experiences, but to those that know us they know the 'typical' vision of Las Vegas is as far from how we live our lives as can be.

Last edited by nfapps; 01-04-2013 at 03:17 PM..

Old 01-04-2013, 03:17 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV2ndHome View Post
Cherry picking a few statistics to present a very narrow and misleading view to get people emotional is a common tactic, usually used by both sides of an issue, to try gain support they otherwise can't get if people take time to look at the complete situation in a rational manner.
I didn't cherry-pick a damn thing. All of your straw-man hypotheticals were already factored out of the figure I used.

Quote:
In this case for for example, how many of those were justified shootings, like a cop shooting an armed robber or a victim shooting a rapist attacker?
Zero

Quote:
How many were suicides?
Zero

Quote:
How many were acts of war?
Zero

(Do you feel foolish yet for even raising these non-issues that could have been answered had you done even 10 seconds of research. If not, you should.)

Quote:
How many of those shot would have been killed by other means anyway by the shooter?
Completely irrelevant to the question of how many people were shot by guns. Although it is extremely relevant to the issue of gun control.

You're not going to see a lone maniac mass-killing 10, 20, or 30 people with a switchblade.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
And they're succeeding. Americans were never this damned timid before -- I'm wondering if there's more to it than the barrage of "be very afraid" on Fox and on the local news stations.

I have friends in San Diego (actually, acquaintances is a better term nowadays -- they've gone off the rails to the point I hardly know them). Just found out they're so afraid the gub'ment is coming for their guns, they've decided to do the only "rational" thing -- buy a metric crapton of machine guns.

These are people who, 10 years ago, I'd consider "normal" and "well adjusted." Today, "paranoid" and "delusional" are more apt descriptions.

What is going through these peoples' minds? Can't just be the steady diet of shrill harpies on the cable news stations...
Have you ever thought they may just be frustrated with the governments ever intrusive presence in their lives, or the continued straying from the principles in the US Constitution by power hungry politicians that has them PO'ed? There is a lot of uncertainty, many citizens feel like they don't know what crazy thing is going to come out of Washington next and it's causing a lot of frustration for sure.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I didn't cherry-pick a damn thing. - Hardly

You're not going to see a lone maniac mass-killing 10, 20, or 30 people with a switchblade.
And you're not going to see a frail 70 year old woman defend herself from a 30yr old hopped up on drugs with a knife.

You are focusing on the instrument rather than the cause. Someone whose consciousness is altered by psych drugs could easily kill 10 people with a car - what would you do, ban cars? It's flawed logic for sure.

Last edited by nfapps; 01-04-2013 at 03:52 PM..

Old 01-04-2013, 04:40 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Ban two by fours

Old 01-04-2013, 04:47 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Did you whoop his axe? (Channeling Dyni here)

How long ago did this happen? My incident was about five or six years ago.

Before this thread hit the rails, we were actually talking about Vegas crime and I thought you might enjoy this post, Dyni.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: