Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times

Advertisements

Good morning. My wife and I are planning our move over the summer, most likely August. We just got back from a week of scouting, and have decided that South of the 215 would work best for us. I'm a compulsive planner, so would like to have my ducks in a row within the next couple of months. We are interested in single family homes, not condos or apartments. Craigslist has been a nice resource for us to see price ranges in the neighborhoods we're considering.

My question is if you have any friends in the rental agent market, someone you would recommend (or not recommend), etc. I HAVE searched through the threads and read some similar posts, but they were quite some time ago and I realize things change.

We will be moving from 2700 miles away, so would like to work with someone trustworthy. Also, do you have a gauge as to how soon we should begin seriously looking if we're planning an August move? Fortunately we have a friend in Anthem who can physically look at the homes for us so we don't have to fly back and forth. Thoughts or suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 12:42 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Have your friend in Anthem pick something out for you and be done with it. Your friend in Anthem is more likely to have your best interest in mind than any agent.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Have your friend in Anthem pick something out for you and be done with it. Your friend in Anthem is more likely to have your best interest in mind than any agent.
Scoop, you're probably right. I guess as we get closer we can send them some CL places, just wondering if there was another way to go about it. Has anyone on the board moved to LV recently from a distance away? I guess I'm just trying to get a feeling for how it has been successfully done. The last time I moved across the country I was 12, so didn't have much input

Old 01-18-2013, 01:55 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
if you are looking for a home, noone is going to "hold" it for you. I have a few rentals, the longest i would ever "hold" a home for someone would be 2 weeks with a nonrefundable deposit. When a landlord's property is vacant, he wants it filled immediately. As for using an agent, thats up to you but limits you on whats available through the property management company or the mls. I always use craigslist. I listed 5 times in the last 4 years... each time took less than 3 days for a suitable tenant.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
if you are looking for a home, noone is going to "hold" it for you. I have a few rentals, the longest i would ever "hold" a home for someone would be 2 weeks with a nonrefundable deposit. When a landlord's property is vacant, he wants it filled immediately. As for using an agent, thats up to you but limits you on whats available through the property management company or the mls. I always use craigslist. I listed 5 times in the last 4 years... each time took less than 3 days for a suitable tenant.
Thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure how quickly rentals were taken, as I've seen some that have been on for many weeks. We will start looking on CL in July, then, for mid-Aug or Sept. 1 occupancy. Thanks again.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:38 PM

188 posts, read 358,215 times
I am looking for someone too. I will be out for a few days early March to rent a house to move in April 1. I need to have a lease in hand when I leave cause we will be arriving April 1 with a moving truck. I was referred to an agent by a friend who is also looking for a rental and says the guy is good, but so far I am not impressed. If he does not come through I will need someone relaible who will show me what I need those few days I am there.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:47 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
think about this.. the agent is only going to show you a home where he gets a commission....

Old 01-18-2013, 05:41 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Better properties are often not listed on Craig's List. Mostly a lower end list. I had a couple of properties listed on both Craig's list and the MLS and they did not rent in a few days. More like a few weeks. And I had one miserable listing that was listed all over the joint that sat for 6 months. No idea why. I have rented that place three times before in less than a month.

Most of the better places on CL are in fact RE Agent listings.

A month out is about as long as you can get.

Note that there is very little money in rentals...and they can consume a lot of time. I do them pretty much as favors to people I know or list people I feel sorry for...

Last edited by lvoc; 01-18-2013 at 05:56 PM..

Old 01-18-2013, 06:26 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Better properties are often not listed on Craig's List. Mostly a lower end list. I had a couple of properties listed on both Craig's list and the MLS and they did not rent in a few days. More like a few weeks. And I had one miserable listing that was listed all over the joint that sat for 6 months. No idea why. I have rented that place three times before in less than a month.

Most of the better places on CL are in fact RE Agent listings.

A month out is about as long as you can get.

Note that there is very little money in rentals...and they can consume a lot of time. I do them pretty much as favors to people I know or list people I feel sorry for...
Or super high end list.

$9850000 / 8br - **Stunning Estate w 12BR/15BA** (Las Vegas, NV)

Old 01-18-2013, 06:40 PM

Our budget seems to be about average for the area, in the $1000-$1500 per month range. And yes, I noticed that the majority of the listings appear to be from realtors. Once July comes we'll take another look and see what's available and have our friend start viewing for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: