Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 03:04 PM

188 posts, read 358,727 times

Advertisements

After 4 years away from Vegas I am so happy to be moving back. I have started packing up the house and am up to 56 boxes already! Mainly medium size, a few small and some large. Yet, it barely looks like I've done anything. I estimate at this rate we will have about 150 boxes, not counting anything big like furniture. It's just my husband and me and no, we are not hoarders. We even just had a big garage sale in the fall and got rid of a truck full of stuff. We've thought about getting rid of a lot of things but it will cost much more to replace things than to pay for a large truck to move it. Has anyone ever counted thier boxes when moving? Couldn't imagine how many boxes we would have if we had kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 04:06 PM

557 posts, read 794,448 times
130 large/medium Homedepot boxes plus furniture. We also threw out lots of stuff. I know what it is like to count the boxes and the days until the move. BTW we moved from Long Island to LV and do not miss it.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyliveonce View Post
130 large/medium Homedepot boxes plus furniture. We also threw out lots of stuff. I know what it is like to count the boxes and the days until the move. BTW we moved from Long Island to LV and do not miss it.
I'm from Long Island too! Lived there, Lynbrook area, for 30 years and moved to Las Vegas in 1999. I do miss LI though, but I am glad I am moving back to Vegas than LI.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:00 PM

557 posts, read 794,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieRose View Post
I'm from Long Island too! Lived there, Lynbrook area, for 30 years and moved to Las Vegas in 1999. I do miss LI though, but I am glad I am moving back to Vegas than LI.
Welcome back

Old 01-20-2013, 08:59 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,795,293 times
Here's hoping it's only 150 boxes for us.. we have a 3 bdrm house PLUS a 1500-item eBay business that we're going to be moving this summer. We're moving from Rhode Island to Henderson and based on the pricing we've found, we've decided to use a "u-pack" service and let them drive while we fly. Still checking pricing, but seems to be the way we're leaning. Plus my wife gets very carsick and she's not too keen on 4-5 10 hour days on the road.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:30 AM

420 posts, read 899,331 times
We used u-pak and were very happy with them. Had one of the cars shipped amd drove the other with our golden's in the back seat. We ended up using two trailers with u-pak and ther was only the two of us!! Still throwing things out almost a year later. You won't believe how many things you think you "need" and will never use again. Welcome back!

Old 01-20-2013, 12:57 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,958,054 times
I thought that u-pack was pricey, but less than PODS for sure. I went with a moving company and it was awesome to have them load, unload, take beds apart, put them together, wrap tvs and mattresses. Definitely worth the few bucks more, IMO.

Second time I did it I was moving a lot less so we just bought a trailer in MI, pulled it out here and then sold it here. Cost less than $500. But, that was with a small load.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:12 PM

815 posts, read 2,054,283 times
We also moved from LI a year ago. We had about 100 boxes and some furniture. We had had three massive yard sales the year before the move to trim our 'stuff'. Also moved into a rented furnished house for a year before, so we did not need a lot of furniture moved. We went with Allied and they packed their van in one day, driver gave me his cell phone number so we could call him en route. Same guy who packed the van unpacked it at new house. We drove the Southern route in four days, van took five. Only used 60 gallons of gas in the Prius.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:28 PM

We will be renting a 24' Budget truck and driving ourselves. We are selling one of our cars and will tow the other. We used ABF once but I think Budget will be cheaper. My husband will do all the driving and we will have our 3 dogs and 4 birds in the front cab with us. I don't do well on long car rides so it will probably be a 4 day trip for us.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:28 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,312,665 times
I'm hoping that when I finally move I can do it in less than 20 boxes. I'm taking almost nothing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: