Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 05:47 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,907,759 times

Advertisements

If I live in Las Vegas, but buy a new car in California because I can get a better deal, do I have to pay taxes and registration twice or can I register it as a Nevada car at the California dealership? Anyone have this experience? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 10:25 AM

15,823 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Will Cali (or Nevada) issue temporary tags? I live in NY, and bought my current car in NJ. It came with NJ temps (good for 30 days), and the dealer filed for the NY permanents, which were mailed to me.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:53 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
I know for certain that you never have to pay tax twice in any state. You only pay tax in the state in which the vehicle is registered. Check with your dealership regarding registering in NV. I managed car dealerships for about 12 years, and we used a plate service in the person's home state. I was in MA, but we had many registrations for snowbirds in FL. We would call the plate service company and they would send the plates to us. Easier than having to register the car in CA and then in NV. While you wouldn't have to pay duplicate tax, you would have to pay duplicate registration.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
Well, Since plates stay with a car in California, when you buy the auto(and I am assuming you are talking new) the dealership will want to add the plates and registration on to your sale...Even though you get a temp tag until your plates come... One of the exasperating "got ya by the short hairs" they have here.... So you would need to talk to the dealer and see what they would do.....

Old 01-23-2013, 08:52 PM

45 posts, read 218,198 times
I live in Henderson and bought a new car in California earlier this year. The CA dealer will write you a one way pass for $23 that permits you to drive the car to Nevada and if you were stopped you would show the pass to law enforcement. The one way pass is meant to permit you to drive from the selling dealer directly to the Nevada DMV and register the car. The DMV was closed by the time I got back, so I went and registered it the next day. At the DMV they checked the paperwork and I paid Nevada sales tax and registration only (no payment in CA except for the $23). I had some registration time credit left on my previous NV car that I sold so that amount was deducted from the total NV registration. The NV DMV gave me my NV plates and I was all done. Pretty easy actually.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 PM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
We bought a car in Arizona a couple of years ago. They issued a temporary plate, like Nevada does. They gave us the choice of paying their sales tax or waiting until we registered it to pay sales tax in Nevada.

IIRC, dealers in CA give you a temporary registration that you tape to the inside of the windshield. Not sure how long it's good for, though. Regardless, it would get you home.

Traditionally, you pay sales tax on an item wherever you take delivery of it. So they could charge you CA tax since that's where you're taking delivery. If they do, and the CA tax is lower than what you'd pay in NV, the NV DMV will charge you the difference.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:36 PM

40 posts, read 144,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richzx14 View Post
I live in Henderson and bought a new car in California earlier this year. The CA dealer will write you a one way pass for $23 that permits you to drive the car to Nevada and if you were stopped you would show the pass to law enforcement. The one way pass is meant to permit you to drive from the selling dealer directly to the Nevada DMV and register the car. The DMV was closed by the time I got back, so I went and registered it the next day. At the DMV they checked the paperwork and I paid Nevada sales tax and registration only (no payment in CA except for the $23). I had some registration time credit left on my previous NV car that I sold so that amount was deducted from the total NV registration. The NV DMV gave me my NV plates and I was all done. Pretty easy actually.
Spot on. I've bought a few cars in CA and registered in NV. Only difference is I had to pay tax in CA, dealer would never budge. Most are be ignorant about the process, and a few wanted to keep my NV plates (that's what they do with CA cars, though obviously I took them with me anyway). If you end up paying tax in CA, Nv won't make you pay it, they can see this on the bill of sale. Be really careful because e dealer registered a couple of my cars in CA automatically. Now that was a huge headache.

I say just buy it in NV and save yourself a possible headache. Again, I've done this a few times... not really worth it.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:35 PM

45 posts, read 218,198 times
The reason I purchased in California is there is only 4 Toyota dealers in the NV Valley and none had a car with the options I wanted. They all had cars with extra options (leather, NAV etc) I did not want (or want to pay for) I easily found the cars with just the options I wanted in CA - plus there is about 50 or more Toyota dealers in So. California and the prices are much easier to negotiate due to the competition.

ALSO: Nevada dealers all required a "dealer documentation" fee of $599 non-negotiable. My neighbor wanted the same exact car and we both purchased them in CA and saved $599 each in addition to a lower discounted price than in NV.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:05 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,907,759 times
Default Cali car

Quote:
Originally Posted by richzx14 View Post
Perfect. Exactly what I was l was looking for. Also thanks for feedback from others. This is very encouraging news

Old 01-27-2013, 09:16 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
The doc fee is one reason we're re-leasing here in New England and driving. On a 3 year lease, the payment is affected by $30/$1000. $600 in doc fee is almost $20/month. While Nevada dealer doc fees are by no means the highest (Florida can be as high as $2000), local dealers here charge around $100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas