Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 09:22 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,083,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk92681 View Post
Why is it that when someone criticizes Las Vegas, they are pounced on if not outright mauled in these forums?

Las Vegas isn't kind to everyone. It can be hard on a lot of people and I think they should be able to share their experiences without the snippy retorts.

Just some food for thought...
I do agree that people do have a tendency to be a little harsh on some of those they disagree with, BUT in the case of mr. 420s post he stated everything is wrong with Vegas. If that's the case then the best advice is to move. Also stating that everything is wrong with a particular town is probably offensive to long time residents.

Personally I'm tired of light brown, darker brown, tan brown, brown brown, coffee colored brown, etc. I think the city looks great at night but rather unappealing during the day.

The architecture is very lacking in variety and getting shocked constantly from the lack of humidity is annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 04:05 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,491,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Its not UNLV's stadium. They will get to use it 6 times a year, beyond that they don't own it or get a share of the revenues it will produce. UNLV's "benefit" is the campus village complex next to the stadium in order to attract more prospective students to UNLV and a way to keep them on campus. This is what UNLV is trading the land for. They didnt propose this stadium and are putting very minimal resources into it. The taxing district is intended to capture the incremental sales tax generated by the village and the stadium. Its questionable if this will be enough money so a room tax is contemplated as well. While certainly taxes generated in the village might have gone to the state instead without the district, this isnt UNLV's isue. I think people are getting way of course thinking this is UNLV's project, its private investment with a benefit to Las Vegas in general and represents a fairly good investment in the city's most important industry.
Oh that is such a bad deal if UNLV will not get any share of the revenue generated by the multi-purpose arena, UNLV Now. As we speak, developers do not have the funds nor do not have any idea who else will contribute to this endeavor. If local taxpayers money will be used to build this arena, then the university should get its share and hopefully it will be invested back into the campus academically. We'll just have to wait and see how this one goes.

When the developer agreed and made a deal with UNLV to have a multi-purpose arena to be built inside the campus, that is in fact a partnership with the university and it is no longer a pvt endeavor.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:19 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,491,548 times
UNLV Now

Las Vegas Sun - At a Glance...

Ray Brewer: Answering questions about the proposed UNLV Now stadium project - Las Vegas Sun News

"Approval of the TIF district would exempt developers from paying property, sales and live entertainment taxes generated by UNLV Now for an estimated 25 to 30 years, instead allowing them to collect those taxes to pay off the debt."

I don't like this deal and I'm hoping the NV Legislature will not approve of this deal. Imagine the tax revenues lost, which mean less money in the coffers of the State and less money for the people of NV. This deal will most definitely benefit the developer, Majestic Realty. They get FREE LAND to build their stadium, they get revenues from the multi-purpose arena, they pay no taxes and will use those tax free revenues to pay off their debt. What a deal.

Paging Clark County Commissioners and the State of NV, I don't want to pay the property tax on my home. I need the money to pay off my debt.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:44 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
I think it depends on the nature of the criticism. Is it actually valid? Is it something actually localized to Vegas (we hear a lot of complaints about things that happen anywhere/everywhere)? Is it something someone should easily know (or have known about) before moving to Vegas (like the summer heat)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Why is it that when someone criticizes Las Vegas, they are pounced on if not outright mauled in these forums?

Las Vegas isn't kind to everyone. It can be hard on a lot of people and I think they should be able to share their experiences without the snippy retorts.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:13 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:

Because...Someone makes a decision, then complain about the decision that they made later.

Example: Willingly move to Vegas, then realise that Vegas is not the place to be, bash the hell out of it.

I would think only a select few out there have a valid reason to complain. Peple who were brought here by their parents, active duty military and those that had a force transfer because of a job.

Uncle Sam put me in two places that I didn't care for, Utah and New Mexico. I really don't care to go back to either places again, but while I was there, I didn't complain one bit. I made the best of things, and did whatever I could to get out of those places as soon as I could.

It seems that it is easier to move to LV than it is to to move out of LV.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:20 AM

727 posts, read 1,057,244 times
The reason that I am annoyed by the constant criticism is that many of them are done by people just trying to laugh at LV residents. Please note this is the only post by the OP of this thread.

I don't mind criticism if it is honest. I just think fairly often we are being played.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:13 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Eagan View Post
Good luck with your "profit".. $10 says you lose money.
*Best Morticia Addams voice*

Darling Ryan, look at you. You are a Vegas natural already. Throwing out a bet on some random event as a first instinct.

*Smooths Ryan's hair*

Seriously though, the desert, and Vegas in particular, are not for everyone. This town eats some people alive. It's very kind to others. Transplants seem to love it, or hate it, with no middle ground.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,547,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
*Best Morticia Addams voice*

Darling Ryan, look at you. You are a Vegas natural already. Throwing out a bet on some random event as a first instinct.

*Smooths Ryan's hair*

Seriously though, the desert, and Vegas in particular, are not for everyone. This town eats some people alive. It's very kind to others. Transplants seem to love it, or hate it, with no middle ground.

Do you think the people that probably love Las Vegas the most are the ones who retire there in their 50 and 60s? In other words, those whose leisurely existence can afford them to enjoy the best the city has to offer?

I only ask because on a particular trip I took to Las Vegas a year ago last February, I asked about 10 different people (all between the ages of 25 and 45) if they liked living there and 8 told me emphatically "no". One said it was OK and one, a native, said he liked it because his family was there and it was all he knew.

Now, mind you, most of these people are in service industry-type jobs and I think that makes a big difference. They work down in the Strip, downtown or the Boulder Highway corridor and they probably see the worst of humanity, which I think can take a toll on you psychologically if you are not strong enough.

And then there's this...

I Hate Las Vegas Facebook page:
I Hate Las Vegas | Facebook

Why I hate Las Vegas
DJWriter: Why I Hate Las Vegas

Me, personally? I have always found Las Vegas to be a pretty fascinating place, if nothing else. Desert towns intrigue me for some reason...?

Old 01-30-2013, 12:31 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Do you think the people that probably love Las Vegas the most are the ones who retire there in their 50 and 60s? In other words, those whose leisurely existence can afford them to enjoy the best the city has to offer?

I only ask because on a particular trip I took to Las Vegas a year ago last February, I asked about 10 different people (all between the ages of 25 and 45) if they liked living there and 8 told me emphatically "no". One said it was OK and one, a native, said he liked it because his family was there and it was all he knew.

Now, mind you, most of these people are in service industry-type jobs and I think that makes a big difference. They work down in the Strip, downtown or the Boulder Highway corridor and they probably see the worst of humanity, which I think can take a toll on you psychologically if you are not strong enough.

And then there's this...

I Hate Las Vegas Facebook page:
I Hate Las Vegas | Facebook

Why I hate Las Vegas
DJWriter: Why I Hate Las Vegas

Me, personally? I have always found Las Vegas to be a pretty fascinating place, if nothing else. Desert towns intrigue me for some reason...?
I find that the people who love Las Vegas the most are transplants from cold climates. I also think your point about the retirees is very valid. I think Vegas is a great place to retire to, with certain exceptions.

Personally, I've been here so long that I am part of the landscape. If you had asked me a year ago if I wanted to leave, you would have gotten a resounding, "Hell Yes!" but I recently turned down an opportunity to go somewhere else for a really good job. When I start comparing other localities to my hometown, it changes my perspective a bit.

Now, if I could afford to live in Santa Barbara, I'd be outta here so fast you'd have sneaker prints on your forehead.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:44 PM

95 posts, read 225,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Now, if I could afford to live in Santa Barbara, I'd be outta here so fast you'd have sneaker prints on your forehead.
Well this is how opinions differ. We do live in SoCal (not in SB but south of LA) but this place sucks and we're looking forward to go somewhere else (crossing fingers for the meeting next week).

When we left Europe, everybody envied us for going to California. We never understood why people are so fancy about this state. Except for the weather (which is truly awesome) there's nothing we actually like after having lived here for ~2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas