Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 11:32 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,663 times

Advertisements

I just returned from 3 years in NW Florida so I'm ripe for this question. The mountain ranges are like waking up to a painting. Where else will you see hot air balloons on a clear sunny day in January. Not many cities have as new and modern amenities that we have. I suspect we have the cleanest public restrooms in the world, and they even flush themselves!! This is the most tolerant city that I've ever lived in. Anything that you could possibly need is either a strip mall away or easily accessible. We are spoiled in that aspect. Oh this is the thing you hate about Vegas thread. So;

*I hate that no neighborhood is really distinct. They all look alike, no matter what part of town you're in or what you paid for your home.
*There's TOO many Californians moving in (and I'm from California...I know, but I've been here over a decade it that helps my case).
*I wish they had professional sports teams.
*I wish I didn't get shocked every time I get out of my car or touch metal.
*I wish the arid climate would stop trying to turn my skin to leather.
*I wish our legislators would do more to take care of the mentally ill but I'm glad Vegas has the wild wild west attitude so my fellow Californians can't turn it into a welfare state, at least I hope.
*I wish we had an excellent healthcare system where people would be coming in based on our cities reputation. Right now it's the opposite.
*I wish our schools were top notch the way a major city should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 12:09 AM

40 posts, read 69,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
1) Not one proper pub/bar in this entire town. They're all smoke-filled video-poker dens. I'd rather be a brain in a zombie convention than visit ANY of the video-poker bars.

2) The homogenous nature of this town. It's just one Applebee's, CVS, 7-Eleven, Video-Poker Bar, Chili's, Carl's Jr., Walgreens, Wal-Mart, Target, KFC after another. People don't demand culture or mom-and-pop stores. They demand a Chik-Fil-A to round out the assortment of chain stores. Oh and a Cracker Barrel. That's what this population wants more than anything -- a Chik-Fil-A and a Cracker Barrel.

3) We could have a 100% drop-out rate, roads in complete ruin, and armed bands of thugs roaming the streets. People here would STILL be against a tax increase.

There's a lot more, but those are three of the big ones.
Mmmmm, Chick Fil A. we really need one.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:03 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogirl View Post
Agree with ScoopLV on the lack of proper pubs/bars. As a woman I would also love for there to be a proper pub SOMEwhere here where I could even go alone and have a guinness, maybe work on my laptop and not feel like a freak.
How about sitting on the patio at Yard House in Town Square.

RiRa Irish Pub?

Nine Fine Irishmen?

Todd English P.U.B.?

Triple 7 Brewery (No Guinness, but they do make a pretty good stout.)

Or if you want to stay away from LV Blvd & downtown, how about Aces & Ales?

Inspired by the classic gastropubs of London, Aces & Ales appeals to the casual connoisseur. Proudly leading a revolution for beer drinkers who want to break free from the 'norm', we frequently rotate (to ensure freshness) a carefully chosen array of 22 beers on tap, as well a finely tuned, 80+ bottled brew list (many 'vintage' selections). Aces & Ales has a unique offering: a full range of beer styles, from pilsners and imperial stouts to reds, hefeweizens, and IPAs, coupled with chef-driven quality-conscious, gourmet comfort food. We work diligently with our suppliers each day to bring you the most nutritious and high quality products available. Owners and staff all share a passion for great beers, and will be happy to share with you all the different beer styles we carry. We also offer a fine selection of 'vintage' single malt Scotch, Bourbon, and Tequila to ensure that a good time is had by all!

Look for seasonal and specialty beers to be rotated throughout the year as they become available. All of our beers are served in traditional glassware.

Aces & Ales features nightly specials and great Happy Hour offerings every day! 15 Plasma, 55 inch, flat screens display complete NFL, MLB NBA, NHL, as well as all other college & pro sporting events.
We also have Sports Select personal sound boxes so you can watch and listen to your favorite teams at Aces!

Eat, Drink & Surf~! FREE Wi-Fi~!

Aces & Ales is a 'local' to truly call one's own, so come enjoy some great food and music and celebrate the craft beer revolution!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:05 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Now you've got me thinking that I need to find micro-breweries in the area when we get there...

Old 01-25-2013, 07:43 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Eagan View Post
Now you've got me thinking that I need to find micro-breweries in the area when we get there...
We have a couple.

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 01-25-2013, 07:46 AM

932 posts, read 2,348,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
How about sitting on the patio at Yard House in Town Square.

RiRa Irish Pub?

Nine Fine Irishmen?

Todd English P.U.B.?

Triple 7 Brewery (No Guinness, but they do make a pretty good stout.)

Or if you want to stay away from LV Blvd & downtown, how about Aces & Ales?

Inspired by the classic gastropubs of London, Aces & Ales appeals to the casual connoisseur. Proudly leading a revolution for beer drinkers who want to break free from the 'norm', we frequently rotate (to ensure freshness) a carefully chosen array of 22 beers on tap, as well a finely tuned, 80+ bottled brew list (many 'vintage' selections). Aces & Ales has a unique offering: a full range of beer styles, from pilsners and imperial stouts to reds, hefeweizens, and IPAs, coupled with chef-driven quality-conscious, gourmet comfort food. We work diligently with our suppliers each day to bring you the most nutritious and high quality products available. Owners and staff all share a passion for great beers, and will be happy to share with you all the different beer styles we carry. We also offer a fine selection of 'vintage' single malt Scotch, Bourbon, and Tequila to ensure that a good time is had by all!

Look for seasonal and specialty beers to be rotated throughout the year as they become available. All of our beers are served in traditional glassware.

Aces & Ales features nightly specials and great Happy Hour offerings every day! 15 Plasma, 55 inch, flat screens display complete NFL, MLB NBA, NHL, as well as all other college & pro sporting events.
We also have Sports Select personal sound boxes so you can watch and listen to your favorite teams at Aces!

Eat, Drink & Surf~! FREE Wi-Fi~!

Aces & Ales is a 'local' to truly call one's own, so come enjoy some great food and music and celebrate the craft beer revolution!
I would add McMullan's Irish Pub (Trop & Cameron, across from the Orleans) to that list.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 AM

249 posts, read 402,778 times
Things I don't like:

1. Lack of services for the mentally ill, which contributes to homelessness and crime;
2. The underfunding of the school district, which leads to inadequate services for the mentally, physically, and emotionally challenged students;
3. Lack of greenery in general-- there is some, but not enough for my tastes;
4. Amount of drunk, impaired, or distracted drivers;
5. Lack of quality single men; everyone seems to have an undesirable vice, habit, or addiction;
6. The dryness of the air, which makes my skin and hair very dry;
7. The advertising for strip clubs, adult activities, in and around suburban areas;
8. The amount of empty, foreclosed or abandoned homes;
9. Gangs and crime: though this is not unique to Las Vegas and does assist in my ability to make a living

I'm sure there are others-- and I can also list many things I like about Vegas, but this thread specifically asked what I do no like-- so no need to attack or rebut my post

Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
A little birdie just told me about Tanaya Creek brewery.. now on the list.. thanks!

Old 01-25-2013, 08:10 AM

526 posts, read 832,866 times
Great Irish pub is Three Angry Wives..

3 angry wives

Old 01-25-2013, 08:56 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Things I don't like ( no particular order):

1. July and August.
2. The drivers.
3. The corruption and incompetence of many of our local politicians.
4. The number of people I've seen ruin their lives by developing a gambling problem.
5. Metro.
6. We don't have a White Castle.
7. The fallout from the great bust / recession.
8. The local health insurance monolith.

Things I do like:

1. Lack of humidity.
2. Fascinating history of the valley.
3. Proximity to Lake Mead, Mt. Charleston, Valley of Fire, etc.
4. Local magnet schools.
5. 24 hour lifestyle.
6. Entertainment and dining options. ( For dining I tend to stick to the more Mom-n-Pop places.)
7. The charitable nature of Las Vegans when mayhem strikes, as well as their support for organizations such as Opportunity Village.
8. Las Vegans have a tendency to respect other people's privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas