Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:21 AM

103 posts, read 326,000 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I'm thinking about moving to las Vegas to further my career as a chef and I want to get an idea of how much the living cost are. Im specifically trying to find how much rent is going to be, and how much monthly you think ill be spending both in the city and outside of the city. I know no one is going to know exactly but if you can give me an estimate or how much you are paying monthly that would help me alot. Also how is it working on the strip is it chaotic at time? And if any one that has moved to las Vegas give me any advice I'd really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 09:32 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
We're moving to LV in 4 months and have researched pretty extensively. While our search is only limited to the SW and SE due to friends in that area, we've found 1800-2200sqft single family homes run in the $1200-$1500/mo range on average to rent.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:37 AM

Thanks, that's pretty high! Are the houses in good locations?

Old 01-28-2013, 09:39 AM

The ones we're looking at are. You can find much cheaper housing in other parts of the city, but I'll defer to others for that information as I am not as familiar.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:43 AM

499 posts, read 1,059,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John8818 View Post
Hey everyone, I'm thinking about moving to las Vegas to further my career as a chef and I want to get an idea of how much the living cost are. Im specifically trying to find how much rent is going to be, and how much monthly you think ill be spending both in the city and outside of the city. I know no one is going to know exactly but if you can give me an estimate or how much you are paying monthly that would help me alot. Also how is it working on the strip is it chaotic at time? And if any one that has moved to las Vegas give me any advice I'd really appreciate it.
You need to be more specific on where in the valley you want to live, apartment or house, how many bedrooms, etc..... The rental prices will vary greatly as in any other city based on your lifestyle and needs.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_chief View Post
You need to be more specific on where in the valley you want to live, apartment or house, how many bedrooms, etc..... The rental prices will vary greatly as in any other city based on your lifestyle and needs.
It doesn't matter where in the valley as long as it's relatively close to the strip. I'm not really looking for a specific amour of bedrooms, but I'd like to have atleast 2 bedrooms and a yard.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:20 PM

95 posts, read 225,174 times
Quote:
Thanks, that's pretty high! Are the houses in good locations?
$1500 for a house is high? You never rented an apartment in the LA area, eh? We're paying $1450 for a ~950 sqft apartment in the Southbay. So looking forward to move to LV (if we can convince our boss next week to move the company over to NV) to drastically decrease our cost of living.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 5,940 times
Las Vegas is NOT South Bay. Renting anything over $1200 per month is just wasting money in Las Vegas.
Smartest way is to rent in $600-$850 range.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupaisada View Post
Las Vegas is NOT South Bay. Renting anything over $1200 per month is just wasting money in Las Vegas.
Smartest way is to rent in $600-$850 range.
Smartest for whom? I would GLADLY rent a 4bdrm 2000sqft single family south of the 215 for $600-$850.. how many do you have??

Old 01-28-2013, 12:51 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Get the job first, then worry about the details.

What kind of chef are you now? And what kind of kitchen suits you? Are you looking to get in at a resort?

I'm in the industry. As far as I know there is no city in America that pays back of the house more, and where the cost of living is less than Las Vegas. Sure, you can make a little more in San Francisco or New York. But the cost of living is orders of magnitude higher.

As far as your questions:

1) There is no "outside the city." The Las Vegas valley is it. There's miles of nothing in all directions. We don't have "outlying areas" that are less expensive.

2) As people have said $800/mo or so for rent. If you're going to live here for any length of time it makes no sense to rent when house prices are still low.

3) Chaos? It's Las Vegas. We're chaos personified. Expect to get your butt kicked six days a week, ten hours a day. Working back of house in Las Vegas is often similar to trying to hold back a tsunami with a broom. All those millions of visitors have to eat, you know.

The most important thing I can stress is to take a couple weeks off in July or August and visit here. Stage at a few places. But otherwise stay out of the resorts. Don't be a tourist. Drive around, look at neighborhoods. See if you can deal with this place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: