Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 10:25 AM

15 posts, read 16,321 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Vegas and finding the opinions on this site very helpful. I really want to go back to living in a "neighborhood" after living in WY (for 12 years) where you have to drive 15 minutes to get to the nearest store. Do small neighborhoods exist in LV? I want to walk out my front door and walk down the street to the store to get supplies, coffee, a pen ...! We are looking for work but as you all know we are not really going to get anything done 'til we get there. I have been in education for over 20 years and am so burnt out that I just need to hide. (Perhaps work my butt off in that neighborhood store for a few years.) Can you give us opinions? We are two women moving to Vegas, who need to live on the cheap so we have time to reinvent ourselves, want to rent (I never want to own again) an apartment that has huge doors for our huge couch and room for our old cat, is walking distance to fun friendly awesome living. We are theatre people to the core (both have acting and tech on our resumes) and have lived in small towns so need a place that's kinda "safe" with the understanding that that term is relative.

Thanks in advance. We want to come out in June (my contract with my school district runs out then) and look around then move out ASAP. Please, please help us out! As you can imagine we are a bit stressed right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 10:52 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,041,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelk View Post
have lived in small towns so need a place that's kinda "safe" with the understanding that that term is relative
Include Mesquite NV in your research . . Dairy Lane Apartments are near a Smiths (Kroger) supermarket . . theater group.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:07 AM

Ugh! I'm so sorry that I misspelled my new city's name in the heading! I'm not quitting teaching due to spelling! Thanks tortoise for the info. My daughter and I are looking at it right now. That may not be an option because of having to work in the city and not being able to handle the commute (time, money, only one car, public trans., etc.)

Old 03-10-2013, 11:15 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,136,984 times
There are not a lot of neighborhoods like you want in Las Vegas, we ARE, afterall a SouthWestern City and those tend to sprawl because they can ....you CAN walk to shopping.....it may not be the shopping that you want....Grocery store 5 blocks south drug store 5 blocks north clothing store 5 blocks east.....ya gettin my drift.....LV does require transportation of some form....especially on a nice July day when it's 110 out, by the time ya get back from the store you have Ice Cream Soup.....

Old 03-10-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
There are not a lot of neighborhoods like you want in Las Vegas, we ARE, afterall a SouthWestern City and those tend to sprawl because they can ....you CAN walk to shopping.....it may not be the shopping that you want....Grocery store 5 blocks south drug store 5 blocks north clothing store 5 blocks east.....ya gettin my drift.....LV does require transportation of some form....especially on a nice July day when it's 110 out, by the time ya get back from the store you have Ice Cream Soup.....

An honest and very helpful response! Thanks.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelk View Post
An honest and very helpful response! Thanks.
You're welcome......SEE GUYS Im not ALWAYS an A$$hole

Old 03-10-2013, 01:49 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,839,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
You're welcome......SEE GUYS Im not ALWAYS an A$$hole
I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it myself.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it myself.
I don't know how to find you two in the forum to ask you questions. I'm still learning. Have you both been in Vegas a long time? It sounds as if you both are familiar! Where would you live if you were the two of us?

Old 03-10-2013, 05:57 PM

I would op for the West Central part of town ....easy access to everything....some nice neighborhoods for homes so decent apartment complexes....15 minutes to downtown in morning rush hour....[long as you stay off the freeways] 20-25 to most employee entrances in strip hotels

Look around ALTA and Jones.....

Old 03-10-2013, 09:21 PM

Found ALTA in the far north west area. Hope that's right. Going to go on a search for the central area you suggested. Wow! There are a lot of housing developments. I need to do a history search. Why all this building? Why do so many people move to this valley? Why is it so popular?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas