Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 07:02 PM

77 posts, read 162,675 times

Advertisements

I heard to tell the cabbie not to take the freeway and not the tunnel when taking a cab from the airport to the strip to avoid the long way. Are the freeway and tunnel the same route or two seperate ones? Whats the best thing to say to get the cheapest and direct route to nyny hotel?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 07:30 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,421,606 times
Yes the interstate and the tunnel are the same. Usually a cabbie will simply ask "Would you like to take the interstate?" and most people, understandably, will say yes, thinking that the interstate is shorter distance / quicker / cheaper than surface streets. It is not.

Let the cabbie know to "Take Paradise".

Old 02-27-2013, 07:46 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,485,232 times
You can't take Paradise FROM the airport...you must take Swenson, each are one ways: Paradise goes IN Swenson goes OUT.

Just tell them to go Swenson to Tropicana!

If they refuse, then start dialing the T/S's number...always know the cab number.

If you don't feel comfortable/safe dialing while in the cab, wait until you're at the hotel, when the bell opens your door tell him you'd like security and that you've just been longhauled. They will call T/A and have security detain the driver.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:02 PM

6,820 posts, read 11,553,688 times
If the driver tells you he wants to take the freeway because of "construction" "a wreck" "congestion" or other excuse, tell him/her you'll take your chances going on Swenson. They've tried to pull that on me several times and ain't it amazing.......things are always cleared up when we get there.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:05 PM

77 posts, read 162,675 times
Man sounds like that taxi ride could be interesting....so swenson to tropicana is what i should say...thanks for the advice

Old 02-28-2013, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runback22 View Post
Man sounds like that taxi ride could be interesting....so swenson to tropicana is what i should say...thanks for the advice

Yup, Swenson to trop.....anything else is Longhauling.

Now, depending on which terminal you're flying into....there's a big loop getting from the terminal to trop.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:02 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Takes me back to when I was longhauled out of there years ago.... Thanks for all the good tips, everyone!

Old 02-28-2013, 10:32 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,941,171 times
Since I have never flown in or out of Las Vegas, what is the difference between a long haul (tunnel/Freeway) and a regular route?? In terms of distance and money if anyone knows...

what if I am NOT staying on the strip??? Does the long haul make sense then or not???

Old 02-28-2013, 10:42 AM

If you're staying North of the airport then the tunnel will always cost you $10 more at least.
If you're south then the airport is actually cheaper.

Last edited by Cyborgt800; 02-28-2013 at 10:50 AM..

Old 02-28-2013, 10:44 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,796 times
Default long haul

Some points to be aware of first if the cab driver ask you do you want the freeway he is setting you up because he will always use that in his defense that you chose to go that way if he is accused of long hauling. Second always tell them you want the shortest route using Tropicana. Third use a Taxi as a last resort ask at the airport where the shuttle pick up are. They charge a set fee which is much cheaper than a Cab. It may take you a bit longer to get to the hotel but you know you are not getting ripped off. Fourth find out about shuttle pick ups at the hotel before you leave. Don't believe a shuttle driver who gives you his card and says call me before you leave most times they are not working have the hotel arrange a pick up for you before you leave if not you may be missing your flight because you are waiting for a shuttle to show up. If Las Vegas ever instituted a flat fee system for cabs it would eliminate most of the problems and bad PR the cabs give. OH! one other thing you can not hail down a cab on the street in Las Vegas it is against the law for them to stop. So if you plan to cab it around LV you better ask about the rules and how to get cabs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: