Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 07:16 AM

278 posts, read 1,084,082 times

Advertisements

When I get to Vegas, I want to meet people. When I had moved back here I found the only way to truly meet people was to join a lot of groups for women, like the Preschool PTA and the PTA and join boards at my sons schools. Am I going to be able to find the same kind of groups in the Green Valley? I know I will not be able to last in Vegas unless I meet some other adults
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 07:41 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,228 times
Yes, you should be able to find groups to join. A good place to start is go to meetup.com and you will find many groups with different interests in that area. That way you can join some mother's groups, and groups that share other interests.

But I must warn you that it is hard to make lasting friendships in Vegas. I lived there nearly 10 years and that was always a problem. Why? Las Vegas is a very transient town, people always coming and going. I would make friends and within a year or two the people move away. It's not that it's hard to make the friends, it's hard to make friends that stay living there.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:52 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Default Transient?

Redwingfan makes an interesting point...that Vegas is a transient town. Redwingfan is not alone in this belief - it is a widely accepted one. The question is is it true.

The couple of cul de sacs where I live has about 9 houses. In the ten years we have lived here 3 homes have turned over. That is probably a little low for Vegas...though not for the ruralish suburbs. However of those three families who sold all remain locally. In fact none of the three moved more than 6 or 7 miles. Two upgraded and one downsized.

Redwingfan was likely in a newer tract which was likely more transient.

But both our experiences are anecdotal. And there are some real numbers. They are not the best in the world being principally extrapolations from DMV records and RE transactions.

The general numbers tossed about on the subject are that 8000 people arrive each month and 3000 leave. This would be an outflow of 36,000 people each year.

That would be a net outflow of about 2% of the population. A little higher perhaps than some places...but not a terrribly large number. Over 5 years about 10% of the people you know will move on. If you manage to meet a couple of people each year the number of people you know in town will in fact expand.

Real Estate gives similar results...Tract turnover is generally less than 10% and most of those stay in town. In retirement communities it is less...more like 5%. Maybe half of those leave town.

So likely a turnover of a few percent. That would not appear to me to be a transient town.

Last edited by olecapt; 01-30-2007 at 12:44 PM..

Old 01-30-2007, 01:44 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,228 times
Just for kicks I just did a google.com search for "Las Vegas AND transient" as the words to find. It came up with a lot of links. Several are recent articles, even one from this month from the Las Vegas Sun newspaper that said Las Vegas is a transient town. There was another article that said Las Vegas is the most transient city in the country.... In my experience living there I found it to be very transient. That's one of the problems with the school system, the job of a teacher there is like a revolving door, they come in and then leave right away...

Old 01-30-2007, 05:06 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Yup...you can find all sorts of reference to the "transient" nature of Las Vegas...but you can't find any facts that says it is true...at least not on a cursory check. We certainly have the few hundred thousand on the strip which change every 3 or 4 days...but that is not in our population numbers.

Some of the schools are highly transient...others are not. The top ten schools tend to run under 20%. The bottom tend to run at 50% or more.

I don't really claim to know the answer on this one. I find it difficult to even find out what "normal" transiency" is.

But I find no indication that it is sufficiently high in Vegas to effect people socially.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:44 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Las Vegas is big enough that there is something for everyone. There are lots of clubs and loose organizations of people who enjoy doing the same things. Lots of hikers and outdoor enthusiasts. Lots of sports clubs. Even Bridge!

You can be as social as you want!

Old 02-14-2007, 03:18 AM

3 posts, read 14,987 times
Default Meeting People

My wife and I, would like to meet other couples in Las Vegas.
We are from New York. We been living here for two years. Is their any New York couples out their that want to be friends.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 9,853 times
I have lived in Las Vegas for ten years. The thing you learn, which makes a big difference, is that LV is really a small town at heart. Once you integrate yourself into the town you will find that the social networks are not large at all. You will find yourself having a lot of people in common with other people. This is true whether your social network centers around education, business, politics, you name it.

The second thing I have discovered is that it really does take some work to know people. I have a lot of clients who complain that they are unable to meet people in Las Vegas, but the reality is that they do not do anything to get out into the community. Our town offers a lot of opportunities to get involved, attend events, you name it.

Many people don't realize that we have a lot going on off the Strip. Good luck here in Vegas.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 9,158 times
Default ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjohn View Post
My wife and I, would like to meet other couples in Las Vegas.
We are from New York. We been living here for two years. Is their any New York couples out their that want to be friends.
hey im from new jersey and possibly movin 2 las vegas in the near future so hit me up we probably have things in common.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:37 AM

391 posts, read 1,713,825 times
Transient in the sense lots of people come and go. But for a city to grow like this, SOMEONE is staying.

I would say a more accurate description is a city that is highly transient but dominated by REAL population growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas