Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 02:18 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,551,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Some owners treat their real estate as assets. Which means they want the best people managing their assets. Not all property owners are slum lords.

//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...e-housing.html

Yes, my wife works for someone that has thousands of section 8/42 tenents housed in units in the valley. That does not mean that these properties are "defacto projects". Some of them can hang with the luxury apartments that don't even allow S8. Leasing guidlines are still strict. Employment is verified. Background checks are thorough. Fees are enforced. The only difference is the tenant receives some form of help from the government.

Believe me, if you passed some of the properties that my wife manages, you would not be able to tell that they were low income housing. A brand new apartment building is always better than an empty lot with a for sale sign. More jobs, more tax revenue and less of an eye sore.

By the way, some of the apartments that are being built are senior living communities along with low income complexes. Got anything against seniors?
Don't be ridiculous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 02:33 PM

I guess when the crime rate goes up all over your valley, don't complain then. Keep building those apartments "like crazy".

It's just insane to me that you guys are willfully doing this to your city (Las Vegas) for money. You aren't even slightly worried about a negative impact on the quality of life there?

All you're going to do is draw more and more low income/Section 8 people from California -- the same element that is already lured to Las Vegas by the "fast and loose" lifestyle that is connotative of the city. When you work in social services (as I do) you hear the element I deal with (not a good one) talk about "movin' to Vegas" all of the time. They love the idea of the 24 hour/clubbing/gambling/hookers/pools/buffet lifestyle. We don't encourage them to do so, but they can because of the portability of Section 8 vouchers.

Yes, the thugs will behave themselves while in the walls of your apartment complexes, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know how they behave outside of them.

Where do you think the phrase "the chickens will come home to roost" came from?

Here in LA, we look for excuses to tear apartment buildings down, not build them

Old 04-23-2013, 02:34 PM

743 posts, read 969,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
As far as "no dogs, no kids". Be careful saying you are not renting to someone because they have kids. That is considered a discriminatory act. Not that your average tenant knows how to get you in trouble but not worth the risk of saying these words out loud.
Very true, I'll never let this be the reason why I don't get back to them, but it is...and it's not because I'm afraid the kid will crayon the walls, it's because the state can insist that a single mom stays in your place without being able to evict her and her child for many months after she fails to pay rent.

The state believes that if her employer decides to lay her off, thousands of dollars should come out of my pocket?

I don't think so.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:04 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,164,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Ex Californians living in Vegas moving back to Cali maybe?

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x

Old 04-23-2013, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I guess when the crime rate goes up all over your valley, don't complain then. Keep building those apartments "like crazy".

It's just insane to me that you guys are willfully doing this to your city (Las Vegas) for money. You aren't even slightly worried about a negative impact on the quality of life there?

All you're going to do is draw more and more low income/Section 8 people from California -- the same element that is already lured to Las Vegas by the "fast and loose" lifestyle that is connotative of the city. When you work in social services (as I do) you hear the element I deal with (not a good one) talk about "movin' to Vegas" all of the time. They love the idea of the 24 hour/clubbing/gambling/hookers/pools/buffet lifestyle. We don't encourage them to do so, but they can because of the portability of Section 8 vouchers.

Yes, the thugs will behave themselves while in the walls of your apartment complexes, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know how they behave outside of them.

Here in LA, we look for excuses to tear apartment buildings down, not build them
Hello,
I just attended our HOA meeting yesterday and out of 78 units we have in our complex, 32 of them are rentals now. That is our reality. How can this be good for our communities and neighborhoods?
Las Vegas has been once again destroyed by investors.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:37 PM

15 posts, read 16,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89121 LV View Post
Hello,
I just attended our HOA meeting yesterday and out of 78 units we have in our complex, 32 of them are rentals now. That is our reality. How can this be good for our communities and neighborhoods?
Whats the alternative 32 empty units sucking the reserves dry? I would be thankful for the investors.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:27 PM

207 posts, read 508,868 times
Evidently, buying mobile home parks in the Las Vegas Valley is a fruitful investment. If you have the capital I would look into that.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:31 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,555,408 times
Quote:
Hello,
I feel for you. I really do. I try my best as a landlord to pester my tenant if they are being dumb and letting weeds build up or doing something else that the HOA does not like(that is the most common thing though). There's been plenty of times where I was in the area and I did the yard work on a rental. Not glamorous at all.

As far as what the HOA wants. I don't know if they would prefer those places to be empty, those are fees that are out of their pocket.

Everyone has to sacrifice a little bit. The landlords are sacrificing. I wasn't one of those investors that came in at the bottom, I came in at 2004 and increased my portfolio to offset the crash as best I could. I'm getting back there but it's been tough and there's been plenty of heartache.

I would love it if the investors would allow owner occupants to scoop up the deals and let the neighborhoods get to 80% owners 20% renters but I can't blame them for outbidding the competition. Where were the owner occupants when the market was selling places in wonderful communities at under $50/sqft? Sitting on the sidelines deciding if they still wanted to live in Vegas as best I can guess.

As far as the other poster talking about how Section 8 people from California are ruining Vegas. Yeah it's tough. My friends back in California tell me all the time of the effects of gentrification on their town. It's not just Vegas, it's anywhere that is on the outskirts of Oakland, Richmond and the bad parts of Los Angeles.

It's frustrating to see people gaming and taking advantage of a welfare system and then living a lifestyle that does not show any appreciation for the assistance they get. Out of all the section 8 people I've rented to only 1 managed to find a job and make a life for herself. For the others, it's like they hit the lottery and they're set for life.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Ex Californians living in Vegas moving back to Cali maybe?

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x
That doesn't happen very often, which I'm sure you're aware of. Obviously because of economic reasons and because you get much less in California than you do in Las Vegas. Why would they go back to less if they could avoid it?

Once you leave California, it is not easy to go back unless you wish to settle for "pay more and get less". People that wish to leave Nevada for California are probably very aware of this and probably know of the sacrifices they'll have to make (channeling "ScoopLV"). They'll get less house, higher income taxes and more local taxes, but they'll also get better schools in the good areas, better health care, better universities, better-paying jobs, etc.

I'm not slamming Vegas, so please don't interpret it that way, but facts are facts. I have seen many cases of low-income people leaving Los Angeles for Phoenix, Las Vegas, Houston or Atlanta and not one of them has returned. Why would they?

"Chickens coming home to roost" refers to how someone will go outside of where they live, create mayhem and participate in criminal activity and then go back home to their neighborhood and keep quiet so as not to draw attention.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:50 PM

207 posts, read 508,868 times
Quote:
Hello,
Destroyed by investors?! Where do you think ALL THE MONEY came from that built up this quaint little place in the desert?

You really need to think long and hard about the reality that is Las Vegas. It has always been about outside money.

I am not saying that this is a good thing. I actually wish Las Vegas has significant industries that could make it more self sustaining. But the reality is that investors have made LV what it is today and they will be the ones that breathe new life into this city in the years ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas