Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,818 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have lived in the Henderson area for four years now. When I first purchased my home, I found about 8 scorpions inside over the course of the first year, always downstairs. After a few years of some blood curdling screams, happy dancing, and a running around the house with a rubber mallet, I have all but eradicated these pesky little beasts. I've only gotten about two to three inside the house over the past two years.

The downstairs has been totally remodeled. Ripped out carpets, and installed hardwood floors. I caulked around the new baseboards, and also replaced weather stripping on all the doors.

Currently, I have Bulwark spraying outdoors bi-monthly, indoors each 6 months, and they lay glue traps in the garage. Outside of that, I go out with a black light once a month and dwindle down what's left of them with my trusty blow torch.

As soon as I thought I had quelled this little rebellion, I found a scorpion upstairs in the loft last year. It gave me the chills, because it was the first one I've ever found upstairs, and it was close to our bedroom. I convinced myself that it had come in on a dog toy that had been laying outside and had a hole in it. The rest of the year was quiet.

Yesterday, I found this years first scorpion, in our bathroom, hanging upside down on a wall directly across from our shower.

So, now I believe a new problem has arisen. I am no longer finding this pesky little guys downstairs, but I have found two upstairs in the course of two years.

I've been banging my head on how they might be getting in.

So far, I can only think of three ways.
  1. electrical outlets
  2. attic
  3. bathroom vents

Everything I've read online suggests that the A/C system is closed, so I've ruled that out. Also, our windows are sealed tight and we leave them closed.

Searching around, I have found no information that scorpions gain access through electrical outlets or can even survive in attics.

That said, does anyone have any suggestions of how else they might be getting in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 07:38 PM

2,544 posts, read 2,737,099 times
I haven't seen any but worry about them too. I bought some of those blacklight flashlights and also check underneath the bed sheets every night.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:37 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,508 times
I have never seen one in the 3 years I have lived here but I am in Summerlin. I do not spray in any way because of having dogs and a cat. I saw a cat die from spraying even though it was claimed the solvent was safe. Have been told by others that scorpions and cockroaches can come up the drain pipes and are many times found near the sinks and showers.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:42 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,537,318 times
not seen yet... thankfully

Old 07-12-2013, 01:32 PM

555 posts, read 1,259,265 times
Former Summerlin resident here, I had them back in the late 90's, always in my upstairs bathroom bathtub even though I had monthly pesticide spraying. The window was tightly sealed in there and never opened, however, the exterminator I had at the time said they might have been coming up in the drain in the bathtub. Lots of construction going on around at that time too. Used to pour bleach and boiling water down the drain about once a month along with the usual exterminating. Don't know if it was a coincidence or not {the bleach had been a suggestion from the exterminator guy} but the scorpions stopped coming in the house after I started doing that.

Last edited by Kitchen Witch; 07-12-2013 at 02:55 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 02:17 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,472,108 times
Yes, scorpions, ants, and roaches can come up from the drain. Always a good thing to clean the stuff up that gets built up in there, so it is not so easy for them to crawl up them.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,353 times
I can't believe your entire rant about the scorpions, as I have been having a huge problem with them too. In fact, my neighbors are having the same issues. A few years ago we only found them downstairs. This is the first year we have found them upstairs and I know for a fact that they aren't crawling up the stairs. My husband was determined that they were coming in through the A/C but I strongly believe that they are coming in through our bathroom sinks. I totally love the mallet too, as it's the best weapon for me to whack those disgusting creepy crawlies. One of my neighbors actually had a scorpion fall on his chest while taking a shower!

Old 07-17-2013, 12:59 AM

72 posts, read 99,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelag View Post
Hi all,

I have lived in the Henderson area for four years now. When I first purchased my home, I found about 8 scorpions inside over the course of the first year, always downstairs. After a few years of some blood curdling screams, happy dancing, and a running around the house with a rubber mallet, I have all but eradicated these pesky little beasts. I've only gotten about two to three inside the house over the past two years.

The downstairs has been totally remodeled. Ripped out carpets, and installed hardwood floors. I caulked around the new baseboards, and also replaced weather stripping on all the doors.

Currently, I have Bulwark spraying outdoors bi-monthly, indoors each 6 months, and they lay glue traps in the garage. Outside of that, I go out with a black light once a month and dwindle down what's left of them with my trusty blow torch.

As soon as I thought I had quelled this little rebellion, I found a scorpion upstairs in the loft last year. It gave me the chills, because it was the first one I've ever found upstairs, and it was close to our bedroom. I convinced myself that it had come in on a dog toy that had been laying outside and had a hole in it. The rest of the year was quiet.

Yesterday, I found this years first scorpion, in our bathroom, hanging upside down on a wall directly across from our shower.

So, now I believe a new problem has arisen. I am no longer finding this pesky little guys downstairs, but I have found two upstairs in the course of two years.

I've been banging my head on how they might be getting in.

So far, I can only think of three ways.
  1. electrical outlets
  2. attic
  3. bathroom vents

Everything I've read online suggests that the A/C system is closed, so I've ruled that out. Also, our windows are sealed tight and we leave them closed.

Searching around, I have found no information that scorpions gain access through electrical outlets or can even survive in attics.

That said, does anyone have any suggestions of how else they might be getting in?
what area of henderson are you in?

Old 07-17-2013, 09:45 AM

555 posts, read 1,259,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann18 View Post
I can't believe your entire rant about the scorpions, as I have been having a huge problem with them too. In fact, my neighbors are having the same issues. A few years ago we only found them downstairs. This is the first year we have found them upstairs and I know for a fact that they aren't crawling up the stairs. My husband was determined that they were coming in through the A/C but I strongly believe that they are coming in through our bathroom sinks. I totally love the mallet too, as it's the best weapon for me to whack those disgusting creepy crawlies. One of my neighbors actually had a scorpion fall on his chest while taking a shower!

Oh my gosh, I'd completely freak if I had a scorpion fall on me!!!

Another tip if you feel the scorpions are coming up your drain is to keep the drain stoppers closed until you need to use the sink or tub. That's what I used to do, when I needed to run the water, I'd run the water while keeping the drain stopper closed, then after the tub or sink filled just a little, I'd open the drain hoping whatever was in there would go down the drain and then I'd proceed with what I had to do.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:58 AM

2,114 posts, read 2,345,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann18 View Post
Your drains are the most likely entry point. I have that same issue with ants. The bleach solution is pretty effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas