Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 11:03 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times

Advertisements

The fact that the LV market is up 30% from the bottom, and houses are still selling below replacement costs, should tell you something. One thing is that replacement cost doesn't count for much in terms of market analysis.

Everything is cyclical. Since 2000, the market went through an up cycle, into a hard down cycle, and now is back on the upswing. If you think that upswing is permanent, you're deluding yourself. The upswing was caused by largely artificial reasons (the Fed depressing mortgage rates, and lots of delinquent houses being kept out of foreclosure. If either of those crack (and mortgage rates are looking like their ready to), the market is going to top out, and head down again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Think about it. If your house burns to the ground, you don't want things to work like auto insurance -- you don't want some dinky check for the price of the home minus depreciation.

YOU WANT YOUR HOUSE BACK. So that's what homeowner's insurance is supposed to do. Put everything back as if it never happened. Real estate, at least in my area, is still selling for less than replacement cost. So why are the gloom and doomers so gloom and doomy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 12:23 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The fact that the LV market is up 30% from the bottom, and houses are still selling below replacement costs, should tell you something.
Yes. It tells you prices went down WAY too far below intrinsic value. It also tells you they are close to fair market value now. I don't think there are too many houses priced below replacement costs unless they are in very poor shape. How convenient for you to mention the 30% rise off the lows, but FAIL to mention how far off the highs we are. Can't both the highs and lows be irrational?

Quote:
One thing is that replacement cost doesn't count for much in terms of market analysis.
Yes. Emotions, panic and irrational behavior are variables in all markets. That's how I was able to pick up a luxury property for the price of a car. Best deal in my entire life. I couldn't DREAM of building a place like this for anywhere near that price. You can still see the panic on this very mesage board. Replacement costs DO matter... they serve as a telling price point where it makes more sense to purchase a used/distressed home rather than an overpriced new home.

Quote:
Everything is cyclical. Since 2000, the market went through an up cycle, into a hard down cycle, and now is back on the upswing. If you think that upswing is permanent, you're deluding yourself. The upswing was caused by largely artificial reasons (the Fed depressing mortgage rates, and lots of delinquent houses being kept out of foreclosure. If either of those crack (and mortgage rates are looking like their ready to), the market is going to top out, and head down again.
IF you're right, then you're right. IF you are wrong, you are wrong. You make a few assumptions there without knowing a lot about the history/correlation of interest rates and housing prices. It's not inversely correlated (as has been pointed out on this very board). Saying things like "mortgage rates looking like they're ready to crack" does not make for solid reasoning. You have no basis to make such statements just because they went up recently. They went up because Bernanke hinted at tapering... now he's undoing that irrational panic by going on damage control. What will you say if rates go back down? What if there is another global panic and they go back down again? What IF... what IF... what IF...?

Truth is, no one knows what's going to happen. All we can know is what DID happen and I see a lot of bad info being thrown around here about LV housing history.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:43 PM

499 posts, read 1,059,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Think about it. If your house burns to the ground, you don't want things to work like auto insurance -- you don't want some dinky check for the price of the home minus depreciation.

YOU WANT YOUR HOUSE BACK. So that's what homeowner's insurance is supposed to do. Put everything back as if it never happened. Real estate, at least in my area, is still selling for less than replacement cost. So why are the gloom and doomers so gloom and doomy?
I was surprised how expensive it is to build a house here in the Valley and thought the home replacement value set by my homeowners insurance co. was too high so they could charge higher rates. BTW, I am not a doom and gloomer. I am a practical person, here for the long haul since 2009.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:07 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times
if anyone really knew what will happen they'd be sipping margherita's (with no salt, no salt...) in the south pacific.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker Joe View Post
I know exactly what is happening today and where this phony so called housing recovery is headed.
Stop paying attention to real estate shills, tv pundits paid to promote housing, so called NAR chief economists, Trulia CEO, CoreLogic economists, realtors and greedy homeowners looking for free equity. There is no such a thing as a free lunch, remember that.

Housing is destined to make another all time low. This so called housing recovery is a faux.
Post #1, eh Kevin/TraderVic et al?

Do you change screen names because you have multiple personality disorder?

Old 07-28-2013, 07:33 PM

365 posts, read 423,762 times
I also think we are in for another downturn....not only in Vegas but in all areas that had substantial appreciation over the past 12 months. As soon as rates go up a little everthing stops. That is not good nor is it a good sign. Im an appraiser for 27 years and have seen some areas on NJ jump in price so fast that appraisal values cant keep up. This appreciation is only happening due to uber low interest rates that are not sustainable forever. Buyer beware, homes are made to live in and were never suppose to be investments.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:00 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strato58 View Post
I also think we are in for another downturn....not only in Vegas but in all areas that had substantial appreciation over the past 12 months. As soon as rates go up a little everthing stops. That is not good nor is it a good sign. Im an appraiser for 27 years and have seen some areas on NJ jump in price so fast that appraisal values cant keep up. This appreciation is only happening due to uber low interest rates that are not sustainable forever. Buyer beware, homes are made to live in and were never suppose to be investments.
You should stop thinking that way. You are an appraiser from a foreign area and have not the slightest idea what you are talking about. Las Vegas is pretty close to being unique. Check the Case Shiller charts..When you understand how all that happened let us know. Until you do...

Old 07-28-2013, 08:35 PM

If refuting those cut&paste rants from zerohedge, point-by-point, with facts... is somehow being a "shill," then I'll gladly wear that title. I seek the truth more than anybody.

You still haven't admitted that there is no inverse correlation between interest rates and home prices... even when I post the graph proving it.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:05 PM

349 posts, read 379,277 times
logline,

With all due respect, enough time has not gone by this go round to say one way or another. The next few months will be telling.

From what I understand, mortgage applications went off a cliff when interest rates rose. In a normal market, this would mean fewer buyers (less demand), shifting the curve to the left. When that occurs, price falls, according to Economics 101.

I think people tend to cheer the side that best suits their own emotional investments. Only time will tell what actually happens.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:48 PM

349 posts, read 379,277 times
Which Americans?

You are aware that many Americans are paying cash for homes at current prices, right? It's not just foreign investors. Many Americans are scooping these properties up, too. I know several, personally. Average joes.

However, I agree that the current situation is not sustainable.

College kids are in debt up to their eyeballs and get very crappy job offers. All one has to do is watch the various job forums to see this. So, _eventually_, who will afford these homes? That's _eventually_. Today, plenty of people can, hence the bidding wars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas