Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:37 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,235,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
How can we compare that? There are some very good schools on LI, as well as a few upstate. Which stats should we center on to do that comparison?

OP says in last post:

"The reason I ask about the schooling is my child goes to a private school here and is accustomed to a great environment as well as education. I'm not considering private schools in NV until after this school year. I would need to know more about the schools before dropping the $$$$ and I might find the better public schools to be sufficient."

My point to the OP is that NV is not known for their schools. Quality education is not one of NV's selling points. If the OP is very happy with the child's private school and is accustomed to great environment and education, the chances of that being duplicated in LV (or most other places) are going to be a craps shoot. If the OP values education for the child above all else...why move to a state that so obviously undervalues education?
The well off have their schools in all American Cities. I have lived in several...including one of the very best in upstate NY. I graduated from High School on LI.

The quality of the schools systems is actually set by the bottom schools...not by the top. If you wish to know how a school performs you can get a very good idea by looking at the mean family income. If you compare areas of simlar income you will find similar schools. In Las Vegas or Rochester or Atlanta or LI.

So you want a good school go where the money is. Works every time.

Private schools are a mixed lot. Places like the Meadows are superb if you have the money and (big and) the kid is a strong performer. There are other places in town who will do the best possible for the kid...as long as at least workable intelligence is present. There are a couple of parochial schools who do a very creditable job at not too big a bill.

Ad Tech runs with the big dogs. If your kid is quite bright he will do very well there.

Just let it be. There is absolutely nothing anywhere near where you live that compares to the good Vegas schools. Are you going to leave the area because the education sucks...which it really does in rural upstate NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 09:35 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,522,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Absolute BS. The good schools in Las Vegas are interchangable with those elsewhere. The private schools are also competitive. Short of living in Palo Alto or similar you will not find better schools...and those will not offer significant advantage until you reach the high school level. There are no schools outside of NYC in the State of NY that are competitive with the best schools in Las Vegas.

JFK has no idea what he is talking about.
olecapt...I didn't bring NYS schools into the discussion...you did. I wrote about NV's poor educational values (which is where OP is moving TO.) If you really want to compare stats, it should be against where the OP is coming FROM.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
olecapt...I didn't bring NYS schools into the discussion...you did. I wrote about NV's poor educational values (which is where OP is moving TO.) If you really want to compare stats, it should be against where the OP is coming FROM.

Actually you brought up the Nevada stats which are, in fact, irrelevant to a good school in Las Vegas. They deal more with certain statistical quirks than anything else.

I simple observed that you, the one with the opinion, choose to live in an area with school worse than the good schools of Las Vegas. It provides a calibration on your school views.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:22 AM

Unlike the OP, my kids are all grown and out of school, so when choosing to live where I do, schools had no affect on my decision. If, like the OP, I had kids going to school and my children "were accustomed to a great environment as well as education", I would not consider any school in NV.

To the OP: do your homework (pun not intended) on the schools in NV and LV (which olecapt wants to keep separate from NV, for some odd reason...probably a real estate thing).

Old 11-16-2007, 02:35 PM

98 posts, read 350,205 times
FYI, Nevada is now ranked 49th in education. My son is currently going to a charter school (more teachers and less students) and has done better than he ever has. The school system here is horrible. We're leaving finally.

Here is a link to the report card, but if you've done your research I'm sure you've already found this. http://www.nevadareportcard.com/

Old 11-16-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorryville View Post
FYI, Nevada is now ranked 49th in education. My son is currently going to a charter school (more teachers and less students) and has done better than he ever has. The school system here is horrible. We're leaving finally.

Here is a link to the report card, but if you've done your research I'm sure you've already found this. Nevada Accountability Report
Oh, don't worry...if you're a regular reader of the LV forum, then I'm sure you've read olecapt's positive spin on this one, too. If not...stick around...I'm sure you're about to.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:

Here is a link to the report card, but if you've done your research I'm sure you've already found this. Nevada Accountability Report
You don't send your kid to school at "Nevada". You send the kid to some elementary or middle or high school. For certain statistical reasons that deal with urban content and frugality Nevada rates badly. But the good school of Las Vegas will still rate very well. The best schools in the worst state are roughly the same as the best schools in the best state.

The corrtelation between average family income and school quality is much the same throughout the US. So live with the well off and your schools will likely be fine.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Oh, don't worry...if you're a regular reader of the LV forum, then I'm sure you've read olecapt's positive spin on this one, too. If not...stick around...I'm sure you're about to.
It is not spin...and it is vastly more rational than the mindless braying your messages throw at the schools. Go find a new hobby. Try pulling the wings off flies or something. You will love it.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:38 PM

98 posts, read 350,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
You don't send your kid to school at "Nevada". You send the kid to some elementary or middle or high school. For certain statistical reasons that deal with urban content and frugality Nevada rates badly. But the good school of Las Vegas will still rate very well. The best schools in the worst state are roughly the same as the best schools in the best state.

The corrtelation between average family income and school quality is much the same throughout the US. So live with the well off and your schools will likely be fine.
LOL, depending on zoning. I live in a high end Green Valley neighborhood. His junior high was surrounded by high end homes that weren't zoned for that school. It was supposed to be one of the better schools here, what a joke. The worst schools elsewhere are still probably better than the best schools here.

Thank god we won't have to worry about it anymore. After 25 years I'm outta here.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
LOL, depending on zoning. I live in a high end Green Valley neighborhood. His junior high was surrounded by high end homes that weren't zoned for that school. It was supposed to be one of the better schools here, what a joke. The worst schools elsewhere are still probably better than the best schools here.

Thank god we won't have to worry about it anymore. After 25 years I'm outta here.

And we all share in your glad tidings...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas