Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 04:21 PM

123 posts, read 252,967 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'll be visiting Las Vegas (near the convention center) for approx 10 days in Nov. and need to work out my food options now, as the last time I was there I had an issue finding foods I could eat. Add that I generally try to eat healthy, and this gets complicated. Still though, having fried foods is fine for 10 days if it's all I can find. Quick/simple is preferred (not fast food though). I'm hoping someone here can recommend a few places so I can get by.

I usually go for grilled chicken, italian sausage (minus the bread), ribs, bacon, etc. Sides are easy -- rice/beans, salads, steamed vegs (w/o butter), plain baked potato, etc. Chipotle, Pei Wei, and Whole Foods are my usual staples here. I generally can't have asian foods because of soy or fish. Only thing italian I can have is sausage & peppers.

I found a Whole Foods near the airport, and Chipotle pretty close by. I see that there's a Pei Wei in the airport (odd?), but that may be difficult to get to (due to parking, etc).

Any other thoughts/recommendations? Thanks.

Cheers,
-Neil.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 09:48 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,782 times
Google it.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:33 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,807,706 times
All American Dave | Macronutrient Balanced Meals Built to Fuel
I'm fairly sure it's all gluten and dairy free, not sure about soy though, you will have to ask

I've recently switched to GF. Sammy's Woodfire Pizza has a number of GF options not limited to Pizza. If you sign up to their e-mail club you get BOGO. NB Their GF pizzas are very small

Old 10-16-2013, 12:14 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,723,543 times
The buffet at Aria is gluten free.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:02 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray_Dude View Post
Any other thoughts/recommendations? Thanks.
Fine dining.

Every fine-dining restaurant on the strip will gladly take care of your GF, no soy, no dairy needs. The restaurant where I work does this routinely. I can rattle off 10 dishes which I make that fit your criteria. No big deal. We're well-versed in food. We KNOW what GF, dairy allergy, soy allergy entails. We're not going to send you something which might cause you discomfort.

Simply tell your server your dietary requirements. That's one of the big perks of fine dining -- you get what you want.

Furthermore, we want to wow you while conforming to your dietary needs. You are not going to get the random side dishes that some restaurant manager approves. This is a project for us. One that we take seriously. Tell your server, "Gluten free, no soy, no dairy. Omakase." (Omakase means "I'll leave it to you." Japanese.) Trust me on this. Any restaurant worth it's Michelin stars will freakin' WOW you if you do this.

EDIT -- If money is an issue, ask about prix fixe . Most fine dining restaurants have a prix fixe option -- even if it's not on the menu. No harm at all to ask the hostess. The place where I work can do a GF, soy free, dairy free prix fixe meal. No biggie. But it isn't on the menu. You have to ask for prix fixe where I work.

Last edited by ScoopLV; 10-16-2013 at 01:15 AM..

Old 10-16-2013, 02:30 AM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,760 times
I dont get the whole gluten free thing, but it seems to be hip and I've found most places have caught on. My sister in law has some sort of condition where she cant process gluten (lots of $$ on medical tests to find out) and thanks to the hipsters most places understand the gluten free diet. Hopefully this trip for you will be easier than the last.

We had gluten free sushi tonight and it was good. If you do have an allergy and its not just a choice you may want to follow Scoops advise and eat at a higher end place to avoid cross contamination. I dont think the lower end places take that kind of stuff as serious.

If nothing else there's whole foods.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:41 AM

This is awesome, thanks.

That AllAmericanDave place looks awesome. We need something like that here, as I can only find 3rd-party delivery services here that take $10 meals and make it $25 after all their delivery fees, minimums, etc. Will definitely try this.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:44 AM

Aggro, last year I was diagnosed with allergies to wheat, gluten, soy, fish, milk, nuts (tree and other), coconut and peas, each in varying levels. Once I stopped all of those and the effects stopped, I've been slowly re-introducing some of these into my diet and still trying to figure out what I can manage. Something that has barbecue sauce which itself has soy and some wheat is not a big problem. But direct soy like tofu is. Milk is a big issue. Fortune cookies at Pei Wei are no problem, but one small dunkin donuts munchkin really gets to me. I've also been cautious about cholesterol which is why I won't have bacon or bread-less burgers everyday, for example. Food is no longer fun for me, but just a necessity nowadays. I will take some equipment with me, so I can make (GF) oatmeal, etc.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:45 AM

Scoop, I'm usually very busy when I go to these events (as an exhibitor), and I really just use food to survive nowadays, so I lean towards quick places (like Chipotle, etc), but I'll do fine-dining if it solves my issue. Breakfast usually ends up becoming bacon and fruit. The only lunch I can usually get at the convention center is italian sausage minus the bread, but it's soaking in fat and oil and I crave salads or something lighter later to balance that out. Cost is an issue, especially since I'll be feeding a few other employees also, but it's just a week, so I'll make do.

Thanks.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:35 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,807,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Fine dining.
Every fine-dining restaurant on the strip will gladly take care of your GF, no soy, no dairy needs...
I was lucky, a few weeks back we had a waiter extremely knowledgeable in gluten free offerings at Sushi Samba. His brother has celiac disease, and so our waiter was a bit of an expert when it came to GF and recommended a bunch of dishes that could be made that way. Still the best sushi I've ever eaten!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas