Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 12:18 AM

98 posts, read 289,783 times

Advertisements

ok, so im offered an oil field job by the beggining of next year. The only thing the interviewer and my referral mentioned as far as being eligible for the job is that I need to at least have a CDL permit, not license but at least the permit . I understand getting the license takes some $$mula$$, classes and so on. As for the permit I have no idea where to start. I dont have much knowledge on the proper steps to get my permit. I dont want to go to a school like truck driving school since the company says theyll handle the licensing after I have my permit. Can I possibly study and take a test because I cant find enough information on the dmvnv website. if this is possible this way how will I perform a driving test being I dont have any hands on experience with that type of truck. im looking to get the class A CDL. I just need the information on how to obtain a class A CDL permit without schooling and obviously im in the Las Vegas area. stay blessed yall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 01:02 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
Isn't a permit only good for your resident state. Why not just call the DMV and ask?

NV Permit Info: http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/cdltips.pdf

NV DMV CDL: Commercial Driver Licenses

Old 10-16-2013, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Isn't a permit only good for your resident state. Why not just call the DMV and ask?

NV Permit Info: http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/cdltips.pdf

NV DMV CDL: Commercial Driver Licenses
The first thing I did was call the DMV. Their worse on phone than they are in person, and had me on hold for 30mins so I hung up. If I wanted to wait I would go personally, which I eventually will have to do, but since I am on a computer at the moment why not ask a simple question on a forum. Thanks for the link tho boss

Old 10-16-2013, 04:00 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times
I just got my CDL. I paid for school...$3,300 and now have the license. Everyone else in the school got grants for the full amount of schooling from the career center on Charleston. Take a look at that option.

Make sure you don't need schooling. I'm working on getting into the oil patch as well, however, most companies require a certain amount of OTR time or a 160 hour school. It has to do with insurance. be careful working for a smaller company that you don't know much about. There are some horror stories of the working you three weeks and not paying you...and no intention of paying.

All you need to do to get your permit is to go to the DMV pick up a study book then do the computer tests for General, air brakes, doubles/triples, tankers and/or hazmat. Once you pass the tests you will pay and get a paper permit.
Not all DMV offices handle CDL though.
To get the actual license you will need to pass a pre-trip inspection and do a drive test. You must supply the rig/trailer for the test.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:09 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm1989 View Post
The first thing I did was call the DMV. Their worse on phone than they are in person, and had me on hold for 30mins so I hung up. If I wanted to wait I would go personally, which I eventually will have to do, but since I am on a computer at the moment why not ask a simple question on a forum. Thanks for the link tho boss

Since you are on the computer and so experienced at using it why don't YOU do the actual research for what YOU are needing instead of counting on someone else letting their fingers do the walking for YOU.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:29 AM

^^^^ There's plenty of info on the web! DMV 's website has all the answers for the license and there are plenty of trucker and O&G forums for each area.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Since you are on the computer and so experienced at using it why don't YOU do the actual research for what YOU are needing instead of counting on someone else letting their fingers do the walking for YOU.
umm because I can... tried looking in dmvnv couldnt find the right links... if u dont wanna answer the question then take those little fingers and gooooo on to the next thread. have a wonderful day mr fingers

Old 10-16-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I just got my CDL. I paid for school...$3,300 and now have the license. Everyone else in the school got grants for the full amount of schooling from the career center on Charleston. Take a look at that option.

Make sure you don't need schooling. I'm working on getting into the oil patch as well, however, most companies require a certain amount of OTR time or a 160 hour school. It has to do with insurance. be careful working for a smaller company that you don't know much about. There are some horror stories of the working you three weeks and not paying you...and no intention of paying.

All you need to do to get your permit is to go to the DMV pick up a study book then do the computer tests for General, air brakes, doubles/triples, tankers and/or hazmat. Once you pass the tests you will pay and get a paper permit.
Not all DMV offices handle CDL though.
To get the actual license you will need to pass a pre-trip inspection and do a drive test. You must supply the rig/trailer for the test.
thank you very helpful info, its nice sometimes to see an example of how someone obtained it so I have option since ive never experienced or even know personal friends that have gotten a CDL.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:56 PM

I would recommend the 160 hour school....if you're unemployed you'll get a grant to pay for it...including the license fees.

I went to SouthWest Truck Driver Training off Craig and Lamb. Their office is on West Cheyenne though to sign up.

They are a 3rd party tester as well so you actually do your inspection and drive test there as well as training.

You're looking a Midland Texas job, Am I correct? Most of the legitimate companies there want the 160 school...however if you're going for a Non-CDL job some will train you for the CDL if you have the permit.
Personally I wanted the CDL job right off the bat and not a rig job. CDL jobs pay more and have less physical demands...you're 24 so not a problem for you. I'm 47 and don't feel like breaking my back anymore so...

FWIW I have an interview Monday for a Crude Hauling job in Midland. Pay is commission, range is $68-90K/year. I checked on that particular company on some trucker forums and found that guys who work there are indeed in that range. I was able to read and post on the trucker forums to guys who recently got hired and they confirm that they are on track to average $80k/year...now, that's 5-6 12 hour days though...

The MORE you know!

Old 10-16-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I would recommend the 160 hour school....if you're unemployed you'll get a grant to pay for it...including the license fees.

I went to SouthWest Truck Driver Training off Craig and Lamb. Their office is on West Cheyenne though to sign up.

They are a 3rd party tester as well so you actually do your inspection and drive test there as well as training.

You're looking a Midland Texas job, Am I correct? Most of the legitimate companies there want the 160 school...however if you're going for a Non-CDL job some will train you for the CDL if you have the permit.
Personally I wanted the CDL job right off the bat and not a rig job. CDL jobs pay more and have less physical demands...you're 24 so not a problem for you. I'm 47 and don't feel like breaking my back anymore so...

FWIW I have an interview Monday for a Crude Hauling job in Midland. Pay is commission, range is $68-90K/year. I checked on that particular company on some trucker forums and found that guys who work there are indeed in that range. I was able to read and post on the trucker forums to guys who recently got hired and they confirm that they are on track to average $80k/year...now, that's 5-6 12 hour days though...

The MORE you know!
Wow yes im recently laid off from working in the airline industry for 6 years so the physical aspect of it is nothing. so maybe getting a grant would be much help being I dont have income. I do believe the position given to me is not a CDL position and thats why I'm thinking the interviewer said to just have a permit and they'll take care of the rest. Its actually a Fracking company in Pennsylvania.

Good luck on your interview!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas