Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 11:23 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,161,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Tobin isn't high end.
I passed by one of their lots once or twice that had RR Phantoms, Aston Martins and Bentleys on them? Are these not considered high end?

Towbin Bentley | Las Vegas Bentley Dealer | Bentley Dealer Las Vegas | 2550 South Jones las Vegas, NV 89146 - Bentley Las Vegas
Bentley Las Vegas | Rolls-Royce Las Vegas | Aston Martin Las Vegas | New Luxury Dealership and Luxury Used Car Dealer Las Vegas, NV - Towbin Motorcars
Welcome to Rolls-Royce Motorcars Las Vegas | New Vehicles | Pre-owned Vehicles | (866) 291-8250 - Rolls-Royce Motorcars Las Vegas
Towbin Automotive - Las Vegas, NV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 02:08 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,966,310 times
To get a job in sales I would think especially something like car sales you go sell yourself. Why not go old school and drop by the dealership? Do you know of anyone currently in the market for a car?

Old 10-17-2013, 02:11 PM

15,864 posts, read 14,491,391 times
I think the family has a number of dealerships. The one they're really know for is Dodge, (not so high end.) They may have high end also.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:58 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,788,793 times
Over the decades, I hired hundreds of new salespeople. Valid driver's license is key, as is a good driving record. The dealerships don't care about that as much, but their insurance companies do. That aside, just have a good attitude, and be prepared to work "bell to bell" 5 or 6 days a week. Your day off is not really your day off if you have appointments or deliveries. Don't worry about what type of cars you sell, worry about the pay plan. You get paid on profit, not on sale price, so a good Hyundai pay plan can earn you more than a bad Mercedes pay plan. If a dealership offers it, take a higher salary with lower commission to start, and see if they will switch it to a draw as you get better at your craft. It's a numbers game, so the more ups you take, the more cars you will sell. Have that attitude, and don't let the veterans rat your head out, and you can make a very nice living.

Good luck!

Old 10-17-2013, 10:37 PM

98 posts, read 289,833 times
I just recently did a little stint as a car salesman for Ford. I kid you not they pretty much hire anyone with a great attitude. I was there for about 5 months and i have seen so many ppl come in and go, its a high turn out rate because of its nature of competition and pay but if you do well you can stick it out. My advice, Nissan is always hiring green peas = the new guys. Go apply shirt and tie, tell them youve always been interested and and that your not afraid you "up " someone. Apply in person so they can see personally what you're about

Old 10-18-2013, 07:51 AM

Turnover is extremely high, as it's a very stressful job. From my experience, the average salesman lasts 4-6 months due to very long hours and the constant stress of dealing with people in a combative situation. Speaking in generalities, no one likes buying a car, and everyone thinks you're making a ton of money and wants to buy a new car for half off. Few realize the very slim profit margins that are left in automobiles, but yet everyone thinks they are experts in the field because the read "the book".

Either way, it is a way to make a very good living. I started at 18 years old and was making $85K out of the gate. That was working for a Toyota/VW dealership. I moved from there to a Honda store, then a Chevy/VW store. I got out of the business for a while, then went back in as a manager of a Ford/Mazda store working for peanuts just to get re-acclimated. Got an offer to manage a Honda store for double the money, and then got an offer to manage a Lexus store for 50% more than that, and stayed with Lexus for 12 years.

You'll find it's a transient business, as the "grass is always greener" and salespeople and managers will jump from house to house trying to find the best pay plan. My recommendation is if you make a good living, stay put. If you are personable, people will like you, and you'll start getting repeats and referrals. The closing ratio on a repeat/referral is close to 80% vs. the industry average of 20-25% on a fresh up.

Good luck with your decision, and remember that it's all about the pay plan, not the brand.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:36 AM

843 posts, read 2,217,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
T...ery long hours and the constant stress of dealing with people in a combative situation. ...
If car salespeople would stop playing games, it wouldn't be combative. Every new vehicle I've ever purchases has been from a salesperson that dealt with me honestly and quoted me a reasonable price without having to play games with payments/terms/trade ins.

It usually takes months to find one but they're out there, you just have to be prepared to walk as soon as they start with the B.S. and make it abundantly clear up front that you will not tolerate *any* games.

Good friend of mine owns (along with her 2 brothers) a very large dealership, they've never had to work. The profit margins aren't all that slim at all.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:52 AM

Much different to own a dealership than to work at one. Service makes up the majority of the profits. The sales end works on a profit of generally under 9%. Compare that to furniture with a 300% markup, or jewelry with an 800% markup. Yet people don't walk away from a jewelry store thinking they got "screwed" like many people at a dealership, even if they bought the car at cost.

And I 100% blame the dealers, starting back in the 1960s. And, unfortunately, there are many salespeople out there who still use the same "tricks". But there are those of us who went to work every day to do the best, honest job they could. Like in any business, there are good and bad apples. The good apples will do very well and the bad apples will spend their lives bitching about their jobs and making $40K per year.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:47 AM

399 posts, read 694,279 times
Most car dealerships are always hiring - turnover is high as it's a numbers game. If you don't make your quota numbers, you will get canned or they will make it so uncomfortable for you, you'll quit. If you know cars and more importantly, know how to sell and enjoy selling, you can make a good living selling cars. Hours are long, 12 hour days are common and you will work every Saturday. You should be good on the telephone too - you can't rely on just people walking on to the lot, you have to be able to "smile and dial" old leads, or develop your own. Good luck - I tried it, not for me!

Old 10-19-2013, 08:05 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,161,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWNLV View Post
Most car dealerships are always hiring - turnover is high as it's a numbers game. If you don't make your quota numbers, you will get canned or they will make it so uncomfortable for you, you'll quit. If you know cars and more importantly, know how to sell and enjoy selling, you can make a good living selling cars. Hours are long, 12 hour days are common and you will work every Saturday. You should be good on the telephone too - you can't rely on just people walking on to the lot, you have to be able to "smile and dial" old leads, or develop your own. Good luck - I tried it, not for me!
I can't stand that. Just because I purchased a car from you 2 years ago does not mean I am ready to buy another from you again. Stop calling, e-mailing and sending notices in the mail.(not you BWNLV). The salesman at the shoe store does not call me back, the server at the restaurant does not call me back, My realtor does not call me back(just e-mails)...

With all the research out there now, cars pretty much sell themselves. Anytime I go to the dealership I already know the make-model-year range-price range of the vehicle I am looking for. With a simple phone call, I can find out exactly what a dealer has on his/her lot. What do we need the car salesman for? Test drives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: