Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 02:01 PM

40 posts, read 285,752 times

Advertisements

I went out to Vegas in 2001 and stayed out there for about 3 months. When I was out there I noticed that there are alot of homelss people. I do know that the Salvation Army is on Owens Ave. I was part of the homeless community for a bit while there also. But I noticed that there weren't many resources to help homeless people get out of their predicament. It seemed to me that once you were homeless in Las Vegas you were stuck.
I'm not downing your city, I'm just asking why things are the way they are and why can't they be improved? I would love to live in Vegas if I could afford it but I need to attain my degree first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 02:24 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
I think the homeless problem in LV is normal for its size population. More than some (due to the beautiful warm weather) and less than others.

Last edited by jfkIII; 11-20-2007 at 02:41 PM..

Old 11-20-2007, 02:34 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Consider this.....it's now November....Where would you rather be homeless.....sunny upstate NY.....Chicago....Milwaukee.....or 79 degree Las Vegas.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Consider this.....it's now November....Where would you rather be homeless.....sunny upstate NY.....Chicago....Milwaukee.....or 79 degree Las Vegas.
Viva Las Vegas...baby!

(can anybody spare a buck for a cup o' joe?)

To all homeless forum members: Please don't come to beautiful upstate NY...it's way too cold for you...and it stays cold all year round! You can even see your breath in the middle of July...very dreary.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:43 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
I kinda got a kick out of seeing the smartest homeless people in the world one year....they were in the park on the cliffs at LaJolla CA....had a little picnic house that extended out over the cliffs and they had taken it over.....like being homless in paradise.....

Old 11-20-2007, 02:54 PM

818 posts, read 3,698,510 times
Mayor Goodman has taken the Giuliani approach to the homeless situation, rousting them whenever possible and passing controversial laws to keep them out of the city's parks. He even went so far as to suggest busing them to a vacant prison 45 miles away in Jean, NV.

My neighborhood park was taken over by the homeless until he took action, so even though I disagree with his approach, the results have been nice for the neighborhood. One only has to travel down N. Main St. or W. Bonanza to see how serious this problem has become in Las Vegas. It's hard for someone to get back on their feet when there are so many opportunities for them to drink, drug and gamble at any hour of the day.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:39 PM

151 posts, read 227,453 times
Someone told me that when the Olympics were in Salt Lake City several years ago, the mayor there, in an attempt to clean things up prior to the festivities, rounded up as many of the homeless in Salt Lake City as he could and put them all on buses to Las Vegas.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt121779 View Post
Someone told me that when the Olympics were in Salt Lake City several years ago, the mayor there, in an attempt to clean things up prior to the festivities, rounded up as many of the homeless in Salt Lake City as he could and put them all on buses to Las Vegas.
nahhhh....you're confusing that with the NAR conference!

Last edited by jfkIII; 11-20-2007 at 04:19 PM..

Old 11-20-2007, 04:15 PM

359 posts, read 1,407,789 times
^ really ? haha well having been in vegas for a bit, ive yet to see homeless people down here. and honestly, im sure the problem in vegas is better than in LA county.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:28 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,415,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyojo View Post
^ really ? haha well having been in vegas for a bit, ive yet to see homeless people down here. and honestly, im sure the problem in vegas is better than in LA county.
hard to say...i see several every morning while walking my dogs and a few on the way to work.

i think they are more apparent here as LV has a functional downtown (people actually go there after business hours, esp. tourists...and this is just a guess, but i'd wager that tourists are more likely to part w/ some change than people who pass by every day)

but then again, i have never seen a homeless population like i have in downtown LA after hours...it turns into a tent city down there. absolutely startling and eye-opening. SF-bay area i hear is similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: