Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 06:27 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Middle school teaching assignments are not for the faint of heart, for sure. Pretty much across the board, test scores do a dip during this time. There are several reasons for this, which we can discuss, at length, another time.
(snipped)
Oh, I agree about the middle school assignments being challenging. All of those kids are in the middle of puberty, and school is not necessarily their highest priority. Poor Mr. Cuda had my eldest and youngest brats, plus my nephew, in his advanced choir class (God Bless him). I used to get weekly calls from hm. I'd say "Hi Mr. Cuda, who's grounded this time?" They all sing like Angels, BTW. He did a great job.

The kids all attended Lied Middle School. I gotta tell you, they did something wonderful for my niece. They held her back. She has a horrible home life, and didn't care about school, but holding her back shocked her back into action. She is on the honor roll now. Whoever made the decision to not socially promote her did her a huge favor. I'd like to shake that person's hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 07:25 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,676,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Oh, I agree about the middle school assignments being challenging. All of those kids are in the middle of puberty, and school is not necessarily their highest priority. Poor Mr. Cuda had my eldest and youngest brats, plus my nephew, in his advanced choir class (God Bless him). I used to get weekly calls from hm. I'd say "Hi Mr. Cuda, who's grounded this time?" They all sing like Angels, BTW. He did a great job.

The kids all attended Lied Middle School. I gotta tell you, they did something wonderful for my niece. They held her back. She has a horrible home life, and didn't care about school, but holding her back shocked her back into action. She is on the honor roll now. Whoever made the decision to not socially promote her did her a huge favor. I'd like to shake that person's hand.
What I have seen, and this is strictly anecdotal, is that girls will buck up when they are retained far more than boys. Boys will have their pride wounded so seriously that it usually goes the other way and they act out. It's much easier for them, it seems, if they can make it appear as if the decision to fail was theirs, it seems more tolerable. And once they have made the decision to go that direction, it is so difficult to reverse it.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:39 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_chief View Post
I agree 100%. My oldest daughter(12 yrs old) has been trying to get into magnet program since 4th grade. She has been in Honor Society since 4th grade, President of her school's NEHS in 5th. She is currently her school's debate team President and a member of NJHS. She scored a perfect 500 CRT(math and reading) last year as a 6th grader. She also made the semi-finals of the CCSD spelling bee. I feel she is not being challenged at her middle school even though she is taking all the advanced courses. CCSD should make an exception to the lottery system for students like her.
Here is an alternative for your 12 year old. Maybe in another 2 years?

The youngest Rebel? 14-year-old attending UNLV - Las Vegas Sun News
UNLV freshman making waves at age 14 - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
What do you think the chances our Rhodes Scholar is going to return to Las Vegas and make a positive impact on this community after school? Now what are the chances that all the thousands of high-school drop-outs will stay in Las Vegas and have a negative impact?
Maybe not that particular Rhodes Scholar but it has happened in the valley.

First-year teacher in familiar territory at Cheyenne High School
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013...tory-cheyenne/
Las Vegas teacher comes full circle on 9/11
http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/23409...-circle-on-911

Last edited by von949; 12-02-2013 at 07:54 PM..

Old 12-03-2013, 03:45 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
What I have seen, and this is strictly anecdotal, is that girls will buck up when they are retained far more than boys. Boys will have their pride wounded so seriously that it usually goes the other way and they act out. It's much easier for them, it seems, if they can make it appear as if the decision to fail was theirs, it seems more tolerable. And once they have made the decision to go that direction, it is so difficult to reverse it.
Interesting. Studies have been done about the different learning styles between males and females. Some people advocate for sex-selected classrooms. I'd love to hear your opinions on that in another forum.

I had a couple of wonderful teachers growing up, but not at CCSD. I went to school in Pocatello (ID), Reno, Bullhead City (AZ), Salt Lake, and Farmington (NM) before landing here.

Most of my teachers here were burnouts that just wrote the assignment on the blackboard and went back to reading a magazine. I think the system just stamped the life out of them. My sons had a couple of wonderful teachers, though. One that struck me the most was the baking teacher at NW Tech. She was so passionate, and when the youngest brat went to visit her on his last visit from college, she was kind of down. The CCSD had cracked down on the curriculum she was allowed to teach. She was thinking of going back to baking professionally.

Teaching is a tough and thankless job here in Las Vegas.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:28 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,676,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Interesting. Studies have been done about the different learning styles between males and females. Some people advocate for sex-selected classrooms. I'd love to hear your opinions on that in another forum.
I am a strong supporter of same sex classrooms.

Quote:
I had a couple of wonderful teachers growing up, but not at CCSD. I went to school in Pocatello (ID), Reno, Bullhead City (AZ), Salt Lake, and Farmington (NM) before landing here.
I had an excellent education. I give a lot of credit to era, though. Teachers were more empowered and my mom never took my side when an issue came up at school. There are so many parents now that think there is some huge conspiracy against their child.

Quote:
Most of my teachers here were burnouts that just wrote the assignment on the blackboard and went back to reading a magazine. I think the system just stamped the life out of them. My sons had a couple of wonderful teachers, though. One that struck me the most was the baking teacher at NW Tech. She was so passionate, and when the youngest brat went to visit her on his last visit from college, she was kind of down. The CCSD had cracked down on the curriculum she was allowed to teach. She was thinking of going back to baking professionally.

Teaching is a tough and thankless job here in Las Vegas.
I have to admit, I get burned out too. I bounce back, though. I'm antsy to get back into the classroom, even now.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:50 AM

499 posts, read 1,059,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Here is an alternative for your 12 year old. Maybe in another 2 years?

The youngest Rebel? 14-year-old attending UNLV - Las Vegas Sun News
UNLV freshman making waves at age 14 - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Maybe not that particular Rhodes Scholar but it has happened in the valley.

First-year teacher in familiar territory at Cheyenne High School
First-year teacher in familiar territory at Cheyenne High School - Las Vegas Sun News
Las Vegas teacher comes full circle on 9/11
Las Vegas teacher comes full circle on 9/11 - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU
My daughter wants to be a doctor so I hope the new medical school at UNLV is up and running when she has to choose for medical school. It would be great if my daughter decided to stay here in Las Vegas and give back to the community. Also, I wouldn't have to get a hotel room every time I come back to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas