Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 11:27 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert Nevadan View Post
Find a bank owned property you want, low ball them and see what they say. I wouldn't buy anything these days except from a bank, you're never going to find a more motivated seller.
Nonsense. On the good bank buys they simply sell it to one of the other three bidders. The view that nice properties 20% or 25% off have no bidders is daft. Went after a nice one over the weekend. Bid list. There are four other bidders.

You will also find that there are lots of buys below 300K. But above 400K there are very few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 11:36 PM

19 posts, read 67,083 times
There's still some ways to the bottom yet. The banks are going to wind up with more and more houses on their ledger books. Still it's the best place to start IMO.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:44 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert Nevadan View Post
There's still some ways to the bottom yet. The banks are going to wind up with more and more houses on their ledger books. Still it's the best place to start IMO.

First thing is hire someone to represent your interest who actually knows how it is going. For the moment the local market appears to have bottomed. Whether it will take off and drop some more in the spring we will see in the spring. But for now the deals are the low end bank properties. In the middle and high there are few and mostly shorts that may prove illusory. Work hard chasing one for a couple of months and then it goes away.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:55 PM

19 posts, read 67,083 times
Yeah I'm not shopping right now. But it's a great time to buy. I'm as happy as can be to see that ridiculous bubble pop, and I hope the bottom is about 18-24 months out.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:30 PM

7 posts, read 22,687 times
I just went to the foreclosure auction on dec 8. the prices are way lower than 05-'06, maybe around 100-200k less. My personal opinion: New homes may have deals right now, but a cheap new pool cost is about 30k. Most new homes are on smaller lots. Houses w/ pools only sell for around 10-20k more than w/out pools. You can get foreclosures (most are newer homes)and some haven't been lived in, that are less than builders can or will sell for. Don't pay much more than $100/sq ft. 400k-500k now will get you a very nice house.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:41 PM

113 posts, read 358,121 times
Just sharing my experience with foreclosures/short sales. Put a bid in on one (we ended up withdrawing our offer because we felt uncomfortable with the payments in terms of our budget). There were 5 other offers on it but we were told we would have got it even though we put in one of the lowest bids because we were the strongest buyers (great credit scores, mortgage all ready set up and ready to go and offering a 14 day close). We just put in an offer on another short sale (much more in tune with our budget) and the agent for the property immediately pulled it from the MLS and submitted to the bank. We are the only offer on the table. Now these are more moderately priced homes, but it shows that there are still bank deals out there that regular joes can get.

BTW - How did the banks do with selling all those foreclosures at those auctions? Did a good many get sold?

Old 12-10-2007, 06:36 PM

403 posts, read 1,170,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevada View Post
I just went to the foreclosure auction on dec 8. the prices are way lower than 05-'06, maybe around 100-200k less. My personal opinion: New homes may have deals right now, but a cheap new pool cost is about 30k. Most new homes are on smaller lots. Houses w/ pools only sell for around 10-20k more than w/out pools. You can get foreclosures (most are newer homes)and some haven't been lived in, that are less than builders can or will sell for. Don't pay much more than $100/sq ft. 400k-500k now will get you a very nice house.
Las Vegas Review-Journal - December 5, 2007 - "Home Auction Draws Bids, Criticism"... http://www.lvrj.com/business/12144541.html#

You may want to take a look at the article on the auctions that have been popping up in Las Vegas lately.

And, yeah, that's me quoted in the story, so you know where I stand on the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas