Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 02:38 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,083,141 times

Advertisements

It's hardly a startup fantasyland it's more one mans vision of structuring an environment suitable for his hipster employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 03:24 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syn0r View Post
I am a business owner downtown, and I have nothing but great things to say about Tony and his team. Many have come through Las Vegas, barking about making changes and improving the community...He has done it.

I can't wait to see what Tony comes up with over the next 5 years. He really is a visionary.
Thanks for the perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
It's hardly a startup fantasyland it's more one mans vision of structuring an environment suitable for his hipster employees.
I don't know what his primary reason was, but even if you are right, if business owners such as the above poster, and other non-Zappos employees also benefit from what he's doing, isn't that a good thing?

Old 01-21-2014, 03:51 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Sounds about right.

There is some tension between long term businesses and the new businesses down there.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:57 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,342,906 times
Really surprised by some of the comments on here. Which would you rather have, dilapidated empty buildings where homeless use them for shelters thus no money goes into downtown?

Or would you prefer the vision of Tony Hsieh and I'll throw in Derek Stephens also for what they have done in just a few years what no one has accomplished prior to the recession? Both of them have revitalized downtown which means they bring jobs that weren't available before while also changing the dynamic from old Vegas to a younger more hip Vegas. The transformation from the Lady Luck to Downtown Grand was fabulous for those restaurants like Triple George Grill.

It's great walking around downtown versus 3 years ago, now if someone will just fix up Binions

Old 01-21-2014, 05:31 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,974 times
Quote:
That's fine, we need more hipsters in Vegas anyways.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:55 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,928 times
I hope someone has thought of this and I didnt read any of the articles, but if they dont have some sort of supermarket (or a couple of them) downtown the whole liveable/workable downtown LV wont work.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:57 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,083,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Thanks for the perspective.

I don't know what his primary reason was, but even if you are right, if business owners such as the above poster, and other non-Zappos employees also benefit from what he's doing, isn't that a good thing?
It's really not what's good for downtown, that's just a byproduct of what's happening. It's what's good for Tony, his employees, and his pocketbook.

Wat about long term tenants who were forced out so the new coffee shop could go in?

Old 01-21-2014, 07:10 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
Quote:
It's really not what's good for downtown, that's just a byproduct of what's happening. It's what's good for Tony, his employees, and his pocketbook.

Wat about long term tenants who were forced out so the new coffee shop could go in?
Well obviously he's not going to gentrify downtown just for giggles. The fact that he can do that AND make money at it, is what this country is all about. Even if you reverse it, and he can make money AND do that.. either way, do you think downtown is worse off??

Old 01-21-2014, 07:18 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,850,179 times
I'm a big fan of Tony Hsieh! I think what he's doing is fantastic! He has invested a very large amount of his own money and time into the revitalization of the once tired and dilapidated downtown Las Vegas. He is a visionary and an optimist! I can't believe some people have criticized his efforts. The move into the old city hall will change the course of downtown Las Vegas forever. Urbanism in the making! Downtown Las Vegas is now a place many start-ups and small businesses WANT to go. Way to go, Tony.

-Cheers.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:26 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoknite View Post
I hope someone has thought of this and I didnt read any of the articles, but if they dont have some sort of supermarket (or a couple of them) downtown the whole liveable/workable downtown LV wont work.
That should have been the first thing to be built. I read in an article that most "hipsters" that live downtown just order their groceries online anyway. Overall the gentrification of downtown is an improvement from what it used to be. If only there was a way that the new downtown could have somehow merged with the old essence of what was already there...in harmony.

I can't believe they sprayed over old graffiti to put up new graffiti in some of the areas down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas