Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 08:01 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times

Advertisements

When medical marijuana dispensaries were approved last year, it was to allow 60 of them in the state of Nevada, 40 in Clark County, and 2 or 3 to be located on the Las Vegas Strip. State Sen. Richard Segerblom, who wrote the bill, is a bit upset by all the indecision. His bill was intended to end a decade of Nevada having a medicinal pot law on the books, but failing to provide places where patients could actually buy the drugs.

As he states: "I just wish people would stop sitting on their hands, and bite the bullet and tell us: Yes, we want the dispensaries or not!"

The Editorial in the LV Review Journal today was condemning of all the foot dragging going on, and the excuses, considering that nearly half the states allow medicinal use of marijuana, with a Dr.'s prescip.

City officials have state law and the state constitution on their side, but they're running scared from medical marijuana because they don't want to be seen favoring marijuana use.

It's quite obvious, Mayor Carolyn Goodman (a mouthpiece for Oscar?) doesn't seem to want them in the city of Las Vegas, nor Mesquite, nor (a no-brainer!) ultra-conservative Henderson.

With the inevitability some day of legalized marijuana, I can understand why some neighborhoods, communities are averse to having one in their midst, as these stores, one day, will be merely converted to marijuana stores like in Colorado. So it's hard to imagine Summerlin wanting one in their neighborhood.

But North Las Vegas, ready to file bankruptcy, why aren't they taking advantage of this?

To open a dispensary, applicants need to pass a criminal background check and demonstrate they have $250k in cash or assets that can be converted to cash in 30 days. But mostly they have to show the state that their dispensary will be safe, that there's a good deal of security and that they're going to accept only legitimate medical marijuana cards.

In the past, I've have had "rocks thrown at me" when I labeled Las Vegas a very conservative city, but let's fess up: Las Vegas is indeed a very conservative city!

So what's really behind the opposition, indecision, foot-dragging, besides the police unions?

Last edited by tijlover; 01-21-2014 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: Add line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 09:17 PM

2,850 posts, read 4,522,770 times
nye county is allowed 1 dispensary, i can't speak for clark county but i know nye is working out all the issues that could potentially arise from this.

where will the plants be grown? in a field? in the grow room? what type of security requirements need to be in place for the grow site? what about zoning? how will the taxes on the field/grown room location be assessed/spent? etc, etc, etc

they are dotting every I & crossing every T before they make it happen here...

Old 01-22-2014, 07:30 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
nye county is allowed 1 dispensary, i can't speak for clark county but i know nye is working out all the issues that could potentially arise from this.

where will the plants be grown? in a field? in the grow room? what type of security requirements need to be in place for the grow site? what about zoning? how will the taxes on the field/grown room location be assessed/spent? etc, etc, etc

they are dotting every I & crossing every T before they make it happen here...
Shouldn't they be consulting with Heidi Fleiss on this one? I hear she's a pretty good grower over in Pahrump

Old 01-22-2014, 11:35 AM

2,850 posts, read 4,522,770 times
i can see it now, heidi "professional consultant" to the county. riiiiiiiiiight

Old 01-29-2014, 12:31 AM

More news on this in the paper today.

"One small area of unincorporated Clark County could end up becoming medical marijuana central in Southern Nevada if other jurisdictions choose not to allow dispensaries to operate, a state panel was told Monday."

Metropolitan Police Department's Chuck Galloway:

"If the county said we're going to take on the percentage that would have been in the city, or have been in Henderson, and the county has a certain area, let's say hypothetically Industrial Road, designated as the area for those businesses, then could we have all 40 businesses in that one stretch of geographical area, and, if so, how does that help the patients? The whole language in the law was so that patient would have access. If they're all in one geographical location it seems like that kind of defeats that purpose."

Rather perplexing, in that before the law allowing the dispensaries, legislators traveled to CA and AZ to see how they were doing it. Didn't they learn anything on those tax paid trips?

Sen. Greg Brower R-Reno has urged local officials to come to the Legislature in 2015 and express their concerns if the law is unworkable.

The way things are going, don't be surprised not to see a medical marijuana dispensary appear in the Las Vegas Valley now until 2016?

Old 02-15-2014, 08:27 PM

It looks like Boulder City is not even going to consider the idea of a medical marijuana dispensary out there, according to the paper today.

State law: If there's not a medical dispensary within 25 miles of someone who has been prescribed marijuana, it then gives that person the freedom to grow their own plants in their houses. I believe no more than 12 plants per household.

So! If Henderson and Las Vegas decide not to have the dispensaries, then those out in Boulder City can grow it themselves. And save themselves the long commutes to the nearest medical dispensary.

So there may be a few out there in Boulder City praying and praying that Henderson and Las Vegas refuse to have them!

Last edited by tijlover; 02-15-2014 at 09:08 PM..

Old 02-15-2014, 08:30 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
It'll be in both....but getting a job will be next to impossible.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:15 PM

If Mesquite or Pahrump doesn't allow the dispensaries, and given they're 75 and 50 miles away, it'll create a nightmare for the police: is this a grow house or are they legally allowed to grow it in their house?

It wouldn't surprise me if the Police Chief in Boulder City is already pressuring Henderson to open one, to save themselves the nightmares!

Old 02-15-2014, 09:25 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
It'll be in both....but getting a job will be next to impossible.
Yes, that's a serious issue. Even with state legalization, you're basically screwing yourself for employment. At least for now.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:31 PM

Clark County Commissioners handed a victory to medical marijuana supporters Wednesday, in a 4-2 vote, allowing the dispensaries. It also allows facilities in the county for manufacturing, cultivating and testing medical marijuana. All of which will create much-needed jobs!

And? The Las Vegas city council also approved medical marijuana facilities. Mayor Goodman has a sister with medical issues and has been helped with medical marijuana, which probably help sway her vote.

I'm so proud of all of them that voted in favor of it! There's an estimate 5,000 medical marijuana card carriers in the county, which is sure to rise once they're available.

And, as for ultra-conservative Henderson, Mesquite and Boulder City, allowing them, who cares!!!

It's far better for the medical marijuana users in Mesquite if they don't approve one there, as the law states: if no dispensary is not available within 25 miles of a user's house, they'll be allowed to grow as many as 12 plants in their houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas