Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 10:33 PM

3 posts, read 11,860 times

Advertisements

I am a single mom of two teenagers and I am thinking seriously about moving out of overpriced Hawaii to Las Vegas. I know a lot of people from Hawaii do it, so I'd like to find out if you have regretted it or has it been the best decision you've made? I know I'm giving up paradise, but I just can't afford to live here anymore and am tired of working 3 jobs that are not getting me anywhere. Before I end up living in a tent on the beach, I need to make up my mind within a month or sooner. My second choice would be San Antonio, Texas. Please help me out. I am desperate for advice and information. Cost of renting or buying a 3 bedroom home? Preferred locations? Jobs? Crime? Schools? Adjusting well? Are the children okay with the move once there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 11:29 PM

50 posts, read 227,210 times
Vegas becomes overpriced too. The house triples, and the rent is rising a lot recently too. Nevada schools are #48. I think Texas is cheapper and better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4anewlife View Post
I am a single mom of two teenagers and I am thinking seriously about moving out of overpriced Hawaii to Las Vegas. I know a lot of people from Hawaii do it, so I'd like to find out if you have regretted it or has it been the best decision you've made? I know I'm giving up paradise, but I just can't afford to live here anymore and am tired of working 3 jobs that are not getting me anywhere. Before I end up living in a tent on the beach, I need to make up my mind within a month or sooner. My second choice would be San Antonio, Texas. Please help me out. I am desperate for advice and information. Cost of renting or buying a 3 bedroom home? Preferred locations? Jobs? Crime? Schools? Adjusting well? Are the children okay with the move once there?

Old 11-25-2007, 01:48 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,663,267 times
Ah, but can you get spam musubi in Texas? I've got friends there, but you couldn't pay me enough to live there.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:14 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
Ah, but can you get spam musubi in Texas? I've got friends there, but you couldn't pay me enough to live there.
I sincerely hope that any form of SPAM has been outlawed in Las Vegas

Old 11-25-2007, 02:40 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,860 times
They dont call Las Vegas the Eighth Island for nothing. I think its a great fit for Hawaiians. No shortage of them here! Much Cheaper to live than Hawaii for sure but a whole different culture.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:36 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalldog View Post
Vegas becomes overpriced too. The house triples, and the rent is rising a lot recently too. Nevada schools are #48. I think Texas is cheapper and better.

Where did you get all that nonsense from? I had thought you were moving here. Incorrect knocking of Las Vegas will not endear you to you new neighbors...at least be correct.

Housing in Las Vegas has appreciated roughly 60% judged by the median price of a single famlily home over the last five years. It is much less than half a single family home in Honolulu. Nice Texas is similar. Prices a little lower but taxes much higher.

Schools in good neighborhoods are equivalent to any US City. Don't confuse the State numerics with reality unless you understand them. Everywhere in the SW is cheap on schools except CA which does worse. Ugly local habit. But the better schools are quite nice.

As someone pointed out it is a very friendly place to Hawaiians - particularly those in the hospitality business.

San Antonio and Austin are very nice places with a masters degree in some select field. Otherwise they offer Texas wages and Texas living. That is not a good deal.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:20 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4anewlife View Post
Hi mother of two. I know several hawaiians that have moved here and others from Guam. I know they all miss island life terribly. It's very different here than the island lifestyle. It's going to be a culture shock for you so be patient with yourself. you will have many people think you are very strange when you take off your shoes at the door. I know a girl from hawaii who's a teacher here and she and her family went house hunting. They got a lot of comments from realters for it.

It's very dry here so bring lots of lotion. Lots of dust. Summers are very hot and winters can be fairly cold for those used to great weather year round. If you can't find enough information from this thread, email me directly and I can give you some emails that would be happy to write you. Good luck!

Old 11-26-2007, 12:32 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,488,891 times
...and don't expect a lai (at least not that kind!) when you step off the plane at McCarran!

Old 11-27-2007, 07:34 PM

39 posts, read 231,557 times
We're moving to Vegas from Hawaii this weekend and are looking forward to a change. Sure Hawaii is beautiful, but very expensive! And once you've seen it all and done it all, it gets rather boring. I'm looking forward to being able to get in my Jeep and travel longer than 4 hours (one trip all the way around O'ahu takes 4 hrs and you're done!!!).

Old 11-27-2007, 07:42 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue92 View Post
We're moving to Vegas from Hawaii this weekend and are looking forward to a change. Sure Hawaii is beautiful, but very expensive! And once you've seen it all and done it all, it gets rather boring. I'm looking forward to being able to get in my Jeep and travel longer than 4 hours (one trip all the way around O'ahu takes 4 hrs and you're done!!!).
Here, in a jeep, you can drive 4 hours and not even be back on pavement yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas