Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 07:50 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,814,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstersizin View Post
Yup. Phoenix is hotter and has apocalyptic sand storms.
Yes - the "Haboobs" are awesome to watch roll in.

I was visiting with my sister, who lives in Phoenix, last week. I pointed out to her that, in our Las Vegas forums, we use her city as an example of how the heat could be worse. I don't think she thought it was amusing.

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 08:00 AM

39 posts, read 37,423 times
Quote:
If you wear loose clothing.

Energy bills is the biggest thing. Theres also other ways around that too. (Swamp Coolers, Time of Use, Realizing being comfortable is better than saving a couple hundred $ over a summer)

Not the best weather in the nation, but pretty damn good. 6 months of the year is damn near perfect.

Swamp coolers?? please explain!

I have a remote start already - although I will be using it for the opposite reason in Vegas... (it is honestly the best money i have ever spent for Boston winters!)

Also, thanks for mentioning the window tints! It's little things like that I need to remember.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:40 AM

413 posts, read 1,589,960 times
To put it simply, swamp coolers are just ginormous fans that blow DRY, desert air from outside over a water-soaked medium (pad) to the inside of the home. The water in the air then evaporates causing cooling. The most important factor is the outside air MUST BE DRY. If it's at all humid, the process doesn't work. There is no refrigerant compressor so the electric use is minimal. They do however, require more maintanence than regular central AC units. One additional benefit is that in order to work properly, an "escape path" (open window) must be provided to that the air blown in from the outside can be ejected thus removing stale air.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVT View Post
To put it simply, swamp coolers are just ginormous fans that blow DRY, desert air from outside over a water-soaked medium (pad) to the inside of the home. The water in the air then evaporates causing cooling. The most important factor is the outside air MUST BE DRY. If it's at all humid, the process doesn't work. There is no refrigerant compressor so the electric use is minimal. They do however, require more maintanence than regular central AC units. One additional benefit is that in order to work properly, an "escape path" (open window) must be provided to that the air blown in from the outside can be ejected thus removing stale air.
Well our 87% humidity during summertime explains why I have never heard of swamp coolers before. thank you for the basic, clear cut description!

I'm going from knowing and learning ways to keep myself and my place here warm, to the complete opposite when I move to Vegas, and this forum and you all couldn't be more helpful!

Old 08-22-2015, 02:13 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,034,173 times
Tayla, I could never spell the name of your state either.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:50 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,792,623 times
Whereabouts in MA are you?

Old 08-22-2015, 05:04 PM

168 posts, read 212,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayla014 View Post
Well our 87% humidity during summertime explains why I have never heard of swamp coolers before. thank you for the basic, clear cut description!

I'm going from knowing and learning ways to keep myself and my place here warm, to the complete opposite when I move to Vegas, and this forum and you all couldn't be more helpful!
They're also called Evaporative Coolers.

Basically what Gal said above.
You can have a small amount of humidity tho. People usually switch back to A/C if it's 20-25% Humidity.
Put it in your backyard window and then crack some windows where you want the air to flow.

I don't have one personally, but I have a couple of friends who have them.
He bought a 1400 sq ft house a few years and just installed one in May. His electric bill went from $150 in June 2014 to $60 in June 2015.

Just texted him for some numbers. It's currently 102 degrees with 17% humidity. It's at 73 degrees in his house. Hs says it varies form 72 - 76 degrees.

Swamp coolers are for a mix use. They work well some days and then are useless others. It's about the balance. They do make a difference in savings tho.

This is what it looks like hanging in your window.

Last edited by monstersizin; 08-22-2015 at 05:13 PM..

Old 08-23-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Whereabouts in MA are you?
Malden, I am about 4 miles/10mins from downtown Boston.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
They're also called Evaporative Coolers.

Basically what Gal said above.
You can have a small amount of humidity tho. People usually switch back to A/C if it's 20-25% Humidity.
Put it in your backyard window and then crack some windows where you want the air to flow.

I don't have one personally, but I have a couple of friends who have them.
He bought a 1400 sq ft house a few years and just installed one in May. His electric bill went from $150 in June 2014 to $60 in June 2015.

Just texted him for some numbers. It's currently 102 degrees with 17% humidity. It's at 73 degrees in his house. Hs says it varies form 72 - 76 degrees.

Swamp coolers are for a mix use. They work well some days and then are useless others. It's about the balance. They do make a difference in savings tho.

This is what it looks like hanging in your window.
Thanks so much for this! So helpful.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:57 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,792,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayla014 View Post
Malden, I am about 4 miles/10mins from downtown Boston.
I know the area.. I lived in W. Mass, Central Mass, and Boston over the past few decades. You'll be fine here with the heat. 110 with 5% humidity is so much nicer than 90 with 85% humidity in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas