Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:52 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
If you are into classic hardware you would have had a blast at the 4th of July shoot out at the gravel pit (off of LV BLVD and Sloan). Henderson Defense put it on and brought out some very nice hardware, including an MP5SD, and MP40, and a MG42. I wasn't able to make it but saw some pics and there was even what looked like an old .50 cal MG on a stand. I won't link directly to the forum or the pics for OPSEC reasons, but would be more than happy to DM you the link although I have a sneaking suspicion that you may be a member on said forum.
I figured I knew which forum you were referring to, so I went to check it out and I'm about 99% sure it's the one you're talking about. Great pics! I especially like these (reposted/rehosted to anonymize the source):

People that go off about having kids around guns are nuts. It's all about what you're teaching them and how you're raising them. We have two boys in the house, 13 and 15, and I'm more concerned about an intruder picking up and using a gun that's not secured than I am them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 02:01 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveinPA View Post
His question was not about personal protection but appeared to be about the transport of a gun through multiple states. That is how I answered.

There are areas of Vegas where one must be careful not to break local ordinances against carrying a gun. Open carry/car carry is restricted in certain areas of Vegas or in a school zone, is it not?

If one wants to travel with a gun anywhere in today's society they need to thoroughly investigate the laws before doing so.

If it was up to me, you could carry anywhere and any time.

I don't have any kids so there is always a loaded gun in reach in my house.
Sorry. I was assuming (making an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me') again. I didn't even know about the NLV or BC carry laws until I read it here a while back. I don't drive around with a gun in the car unless I'm going on a trip where it makes me feel safer, but don't think I'm going to avoid passing through by driving miles around the outskirts of either town to get where I'm going just because I have a gun in my car. I'm not a gang banger, which is who those laws target. I don't see how they could enforce it anyway in Nevada, especially considering the highways in and out of here that go through their city limits. If stopped by NLVPD or BCPD I suppose they could get nasty, but I wonder if Metro gives a sh** about those town ordinances.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I figured I knew which forum you were referring to, so I went to check it out and I'm about 99% sure it's the one you're talking about. Great pics! I especially like these (reposted/rehosted to anonymize the source):

People that go off about having kids around guns are nuts. It's all about what you're teaching them and how you're raising them. We have two boys in the house, 13 and 15, and I'm more concerned about an intruder picking up and using a gun that's not secured than I am them.
IMHO if they were going to put a weapon like that in the hands of that little girl they should have taught her how to hold it and the proper stance before letting her shoot. She could easily drop it the way she's holding it, and I doubt if she's going to hit the target like that either.

First time I let my daughter shoot she picked up the brass and wanted to take it to show and tell. I told her that other parents might not take the time to teach their kids gun safety like I did with her, and if she showed it to them it might cause them to pick up a gun thinking it was OK for them too, and accidentally shoot someone. Her eyes lit up with understanding, and she still remembers that lesson today. The other day we agreed she should wait until my six year old granddaughter is a little older before teaching her to shoot, but to teach her not to pick up a gun right now until she has lessons.

Last edited by Buzz123; 07-09-2009 at 02:30 PM..

Old 07-09-2009, 02:28 PM

I'd like to know where one can go these days to kill a few cans and bottles. I hate shooting at paper targets that don't fall down or explode or skip across the desert. That's one more of the many negative things about the Valley's population growth. Can't chase rabbits and coyotes across the desert with your Jeep or shoot cans and bottles anymore. I haven't been out shooting for several years now. Not sure I can still shoot from the hip and skip beer cans, but that neat trick learned at Camp LeJeune used to dazzle my kids.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:08 PM

395 posts, read 1,081,257 times
Quote:
In all seriousness, Buzz's advice was pretty spot on. To be safe keep firearm locked and seperate from ammunition. In Clark County and the rest of the state of Nevada it is legal to carry a loaded weapon in your vehicle, with the exception of North Las Vegas and Boulder City who have stricter legislation.
However, isn't there a state statutate that dictates that local municapalites cannot make a law more restrictive than the state laws wrt to gun laws. Therefore I think the NLV and BC laws won't hold up in court.

If I get time I'll look up the state law that says this. Perhaps people more savy than me already know what I am referring to and can help?

Old 07-09-2009, 03:10 PM

395 posts, read 1,081,257 times
Quote:
That said, OC in the grocery store may not be the best idea considering the gen pop's attitude towards firearms.
See I disagree. If you saw someone in plain clothes with a clearly hostered hand gun would you be nervious? I wouldn't. In fact I would think they were a law enforcement offical or something like that.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:30 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,847,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

It was actually a multiforum meet so there are two forums that have the pictures up but yeah, that's the one. I really wanted to make it out but just couldn't. It looked like a blast. If you ever see a silver Audi A3 with a BFL sticker on the back (I will probably be wearing my BFL hat as well) that would be me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I'd like to know where one can go these days to kill a few cans and bottles. I hate shooting at paper targets that don't fall down or explode or skip across the desert. That's one more of the many negative things about the Valley's population growth. Can't chase rabbits and coyotes across the desert with your Jeep or shoot cans and bottles anymore. I haven't been out shooting for several years now. Not sure I can still shoot from the hip and skip beer cans, but that neat trick learned at Camp LeJeune used to dazzle my kids.
As long as you pick up after yourself I see no reason why you can't head out to the ravines or the gravel pit with cans and bottles (although I may have to look into that, it may be against county statutes). I personally like to get 12 packs of cheap soda. Those things explode when hit with a high velocity rifle round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekwars2000 View Post
However, isn't there a state statutate that dictates that local municapalites cannot make a law more restrictive than the state laws wrt to gun laws. Therefore I think the NLV and BC laws won't hold up in court.

If I get time I'll look up the state law that says this. Perhaps people more savy than me already know what I am referring to and can help?
I know what you're referring to. The original state preemption law was passed in 1989, and allowed local ordinance passed prior to that to be grandfathered in. There was legislation put in place in 2007 that was supposed to eliminate the grandfathered local legislation. However, Clark County still requires handgun registration, which it should not under the 2007 preemption law, and N Las Vegas and Boulder City still have their laws on the books against carrying in a vehicle. I believe that N Las Vegas still doesn't allow OC either, but I could be wrong on that. Will it hold up in court? I'm not gonna be the guinea pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekwars2000 View Post
See I disagree. If you saw someone in plain clothes with a clearly hostered hand gun would you be nervious? I wouldn't. In fact I would think they were a law enforcement offical or something like that.
If I saw someone OCing I wouldn't be nervous either. I still believe that were I to walk into an Albertson's or a Walmart with a .45 ACP on my hip. most of the patrons would be freaking out, I would probably have issues with store employees (specifically security), and in all likelihood the police would be called. I think that most people, depending on locality of course, have very different views on firearms than those that actually own and use firearms and the sight of one, again in my opinion which could be very off base, is enough to send most folks into a panic.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:50 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,448,090 times
Quote:
If I saw someone OCing I wouldn't be nervous either. I still believe that were I to walk into an Albertson's or a Walmart with a .45 ACP on my hip. most of the patrons would be freaking out, I would probably have issues with store employees (specifically security), and in all likelihood the police would be called. I think that most people, depending on locality of course, have very different views on firearms than those that actually own and use firearms and the sight of one, again in my opinion which could be very off base, is enough to send most folks into a panic.
All reasonable concerns. I'll add another - open carry is an announcement to those who would do bad things, to shoot me first. I don't want the bad guys to know that I'm carrying until it's too late. My strong preference is concealed carry. Barring that, I'd have to think long and hard on whether I'd open carry.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:50 PM

Here is something I found from the Nevada State Rifle & Pistol Association that summarizes the firearms laws in the state. I think some of it may be outdated now. For instance I believe we now recognize the CCWs from several other states. And it addresses the local laws in Clark County. Untitled Document

As far as a place to shoot, I don't know what gravel pit you mean as there are several of them around here. But I do know that most of the places we used to shoot are now no shooting zones, and that means most of the areas around Las Vegas, Henderson, and NLV, and probably Boulder City. Those places were all along both sides of Lake Mead Blvd behind Sunrise Mountain; all over this side of Sunrise Mountain, especially back in around the swamp area, and the Jeep and dirt bike tracks that go back in there around the south end of the mountain east or south of Pabco Road; along Lake Mead Parkway and Lake Shore Road plus the North Shore Road in Henderson; out at the end of Sahara where it meets Charleston Blvd in what is now a flood basin; and on the west side of Charleston up in the red rocks that you can see from town, and all through the wash that parallels Charleston Blvd/SR 159. BTW: SR 159 is the real Blue Diamond Highway, not SR 160 which is the Mountain Springs/Pahrump Highway. And speaking of the Pahrump Highway, SR 160, we would drive towards Pahrump in a Jeep, starting at the railroad tracks, and hunt jack rabbits and coyotes late at night. We also hunted quail, doves, and water fowl all around the Henderson Swamp which is now the Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve. One thing you have to watch for around Boulder City is whether you're on Nat'l Park Service land because the Lake Mead NP is so big. Of course I think you can still hunt ducks and geese during the season on the lakes along the Colorado including Lake Mead, and you can get a map online that shows the no hunting zones out there.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
All reasonable concerns. I'll add another - open carry is an announcement to those who would do bad things, to shoot me first. I don't want the bad guys to know that I'm carrying until it's too late. My strong preference is concealed carry. Barring that, I'd have to think long and hard on whether I'd open carry.
Yes, you have to use your head. There is still such a thing as creating a public nuisance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas